Talk

Advanced search

Scotlands role in Brexit

(9 Posts)
Underparmummy Fri 15-Jul-16 15:34:55

The plot thickens as TM has vowed to protect the UK union and sort that out before triggering article 50. could contradict David Davis statement on Brexit timings?

I think that is very, very sensible even if it delays moving forwards. I don't think we can take the risk of splitting the UK up.

RedToothBrush Fri 15-Jul-16 15:43:17

‏@faisalislam has some very interesting transcripts from NS and TM today if you want to look them up on twitter.

Underparmummy Fri 15-Jul-16 15:57:12

Yes, they are interesting. Not quite on the same hymn sheet re a referendum!

I think TM is making a big statement saying no article 50 trigger until UK united.

twofingerstoGideon Fri 15-Jul-16 18:05:45

I think so too.
TM: "I have already said that I won't be triggering Article 50 until I think that we have a UK approach and objectives for negotiations - I think it is important that we establish that before we trigger Article 50."

ThroughThickAndThin01 Fri 15-Jul-16 18:09:58

What does that mean then? Article 50 can't be invoked because scotland would separate from the UK?

prettybird Fri 15-Jul-16 18:11:21

I suspect "consultation" or agreement is a bit like the formal "consultation" before redundancies: a process to go through but a extemely slim chance of changing anything meaningful.

Put it this way, I'm not holding my breath hmm

prettybird Fri 15-Jul-16 18:14:16

....posted too soon blush

But I do think that Scotland (probably more than NI, as there is a greater majority in the parliament) can - and may well choose to do so - play a "blocking" role: refusing to grant Sewel motions to facilitate UK wide legislation which includes devolved issues. They could choose to be really awkward.

twofingerstoGideon Fri 15-Jul-16 18:17:11

I wouldn't underestimate Nicola Sturgeon. I don't think she'll be walked over. Scotland voted remain and I think she'd be willing to go for a second referendum over this. And Martin McGuinness has been quiet up until now. I don't think TM can just ignore NI, Gibraltar and Scotland and plough ahead regardless.
The whole thing is an unholy mess.

STIDW Fri 15-Jul-16 21:28:26

The problem for the gov is it requires a mandate from parliament for whatever EU exit strategy it comes up with. If there is no mandate it may need to call a General Election.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now