Talk

Advanced search

Nasty juxtaposition for 3-4 decades down the line

(26 Posts)
SeaEagleFeather Tue 12-Jul-16 08:47:49

Brexit, the consequent lack of EU investment and this

"The UK is not prepared, the committee says, for the risks posed by climate change from flooding and changing coasts, heatwaves, water shortages, ecosystem damage and shocks to the global food system....

....The report from 80 authors is the most comprehensive yet on the potential impact of climate change on the UK.

BengalCatMum Tue 12-Jul-16 15:49:37

Thanks for sharing;

I will admit its going to take a good evening to read it so will get back to you and share my views.

This is of keen interest to me so thanks again - work in landscape/ environment flowers

BengalCatMum Tue 12-Jul-16 16:02:56

Heres a direct link for anyone...
You can download by pdf on the right hand side of page

www.theccc.org.uk/uk-climate-change-risk-assessment-2017/synthesis-report/

SeaEagleFeather Tue 12-Jul-16 19:09:50

Possibly this is too pessimistic of me, but the consequences of possible global population migrations in search of water / to escape water wars (if they happen) and the likely future economic problems in the UK plus the lack of planning seems very worrying.

Hopefully I'm wrong but I could see a scenario where either there is a massive influx of desperate people and the natives say No More Migrants and use force to back that up; or where they allow everyone in and the economy breaks ... the UK's health and benefits system is in parlous state already and there are some seriously deprived areas. Education will suffer. There certainly won't be any EU help, presumably, and it seems to me that a united approach is essential here.

On top of (possibly) all that, you have the damage to the economy and infrastructure of the storms, the crop problems, the pest problems and the water problems.

I just can't see how this is going to work out well without an awful lot of suffering unless there is some very long term and effective planning soon.

megletthesecond Tue 12-Jul-16 19:18:03

sea I'm with you on this. I'm no expert but take an interest in these issues and have been thinking along similar lines for a while.

BengalCatMum Tue 12-Jul-16 19:30:11

As part of degree/ masters; did some population dynamics as part of Ecology, so heres my post referendum projections based on stopping the free movement of people:

In UK in 2100; we will have a population of 200 Million people. (No migration at all - only British People.) DC's born on 23rd June 2016 will be only 85.

So considering we can only currently supply around 60% of our food; I think that food wars will start before water wars.

Water will always be available; it will just take more energy to get/ time to get it. And worst comes to worst we will all have to sit round with campfires and tarpaulin to evaporate and catch condensation, to filter out the salt.

Food on the other hand; is going to be a bit more tricky.

BengalCatMum Tue 12-Jul-16 19:31:30

Unless we eat the pests; two birds with one stone hahah

SeaEagleFeather Tue 12-Jul-16 19:39:37

Do you like your locusts honeyed or salted?

megletthesecond Tue 12-Jul-16 19:44:13

We won't have any honey, the bees will have been decimated by disease and global warming. <<sobs>>

SeaEagleFeather Tue 12-Jul-16 19:48:53

more seriously, water is only available freely in some countries. The middle east struggles and will struggle more with various countries siphoning off huge amounts of river water from rivers that pass through several countries like the Tigris and Euphrates.

At some point, unless there is exeptionally good unified planning (which isn't going to happen in the ME) large numbers of people will -have- to move or go under.

Food is going to be a huge problem yes .. combine climate influence with possible water problems (too much, too little) and it's a problem.

I don't think the UK will be able to rely wholly on its natural sea barrier because it's not impossible to pass and even if it were - the UK needs imported food. The production be threatened in the countries it's grown in directly (climate problems) or indirectly (population problems).

Perhaps the pieces of the jigsaw won't come together so bleakly though and I'm just worrying too much!

BengalCatMum Tue 12-Jul-16 19:49:04

Haha, well its going to have to be salted then sad

On another note though; I was thinking the food needs water too; so maybe it will be water war first.

On a positive note; the highest calorie per area food is sweet potato, which we will be able to grow if it gets warmer. But then that would be negative for people in hotter climates, as by that time they will probably have desertification.

Hmm, I do wish people would talk about this more. It really is DC's lifetime.
I know I sound dramatic but it will be their lifetime which chooses fate of humanity.

BengalCatMum Tue 12-Jul-16 19:54:20

Sea
They will come together bleakly; because people are sleep walking into this.
If us laymen can see it, how can't government.

To think the Uk will import food, why when they cant feed themselves would they export to us; when all this is going on, its going to be everyone for themselves.

SeaEagleFeather Tue 12-Jul-16 20:19:45

mmmm politicians have to appeal for votes and deal with current concerns too .... hard to plan for the longer term especially when it means fighting big business, who are highly resistant to change.

Oh dear eats another salted locust at least salt won't be in short supply

uff, another nasty thought. East Anglia used to have a weak form of malaria ... it might come back.

megletthesecond Tue 12-Jul-16 20:20:58

beng ds is still at primary school but I'm already nudging him in the direction of environmental engineering / climate change solutions blush . I'm hoping his love of problem solving, construction and gardening will continue.

hubris Tue 12-Jul-16 21:08:57

Green issues are where the 'just build more schools/roads/houses' argument in response to UK population increase makes no sense to me. 'Just keep developing' to house ever increasing numbers of people with no thought to the environmental and quality of life costs of concreting over every little tiny green space left in cites, and building out onto greenbelt and flood plains after that. Not to mention the water, sewage, food and energy demands of every single extra citizen, whether they claim benefits or work for the sainted NHS.

Does nobody remember the late eighties and nineties when 'road-building' was a dirty word and continuing to concrete over the countryside was considered the height of stupidity in light of the body of evidence building up about the ecological consequences? I cannot get over the change as 'just build more' is chanted repeatedly as the solution to all overcrowding woes.

prettybird Tue 12-Jul-16 22:17:39

Interesting reading the potential climate change impacts.

Given that Scotland is expected not to suffer as badly (good supply of water, plenty of space, temperatures still bearable,* increased* agricultural areas.....), I wonder if that is one of the reasons why the powers-that-be in England doesn't want to let us go? wink

BengalCatMum Tue 12-Jul-16 22:23:18

Megle
You got a great idea there; please do grin It is so important for DCs; we will be dead (only just) by the time this really kicks off.

Hubris
I agree - we need to fight to keep and reinstate more greenbelts + increase infiltration in cities; and start to concentrate on condensing our developments in a sustainable way (maybe look at ME architecture which is good at moving heat away; but also we need to look at Dutch Landscape Architecture where they are great at understanding control and storage of water).

I was born 1990, so 80s/90s were before my brain was educated enough to panic in sheer WTF is going on here.

Even Hawkins says we are all going to die in next 1-2 centuries unless we move to space! shock Surely we can stop this by acknowledging this and trying to focus on finding solutions.

But it seems as you say that everyone seems to think we have never ending land, never ending resources, never ending time. It really does make me worry.

BengalCatMum Tue 12-Jul-16 22:30:30

pretty
Please save us; & just don't fuck up all your land with fracking.
You scots are good at sticking it the man - fight for us please grin
Us English are shit at that, and will get fracked too no end I am sure sad

PM me when required and I will come to Scotland to join the fight

Disclaimer - Mothers Scottish so not just making totally flippant generalisations wink

SeaEagleFeather Wed 13-Jul-16 07:38:28

we need to look at Dutch Landscape Architecture where they are great at understanding control and storage of water

this is a biggie; really a biggie. Though even the Dutch will struggle a lot with increased sea levels. They're planning for the future though.

Also we'd need recovery plans for a quick but reasonably good reconstruction after large-ish events.

All this + other measures will take a lot of money and a great deal of organisation, which won't go down well with the electorate. A reduced economy isn't going to help one bit.

Bengal you're right .... sigh. Sleepwalking. As a lot of people sleep walked into the Brexit (not all!)

I think I'm suddenly in favour of a meritocracy. Or even a benign and effective dictatorship. BoJo and Farage - if that's the quality of heavily influential 'politicians' we've had, then oh dear.

SnowBells Wed 13-Jul-16 10:03:14

People have too many kids in Britain. They should really stick at two kids max, but we've had threads about this before... if you tell them that, they'll tell you that it's their right to have as many kids as they want.

There were people who were doubting whether they could afford Child 3 or 4, and MN users would tell them, "Go on, have another one. You'll regret it, if you don't."

Even without migration, the population is ballooning. Britain has some of the largest families in Europe. There has to be a big change in views in the UK. But I don't see that happening at all!!!

wooflesgoestotown Wed 13-Jul-16 11:49:15

OP I fear in the future BREXIT could well be looked back on as the beginning of the end for UK as a secure nation for these very reasons.

Our need to be part of a larger group to face global problems is only going to become stronger and stronger.

I'm generally an optimist but I feel this is the beginning of a downward slide.

megletthesecond Wed 13-Jul-16 13:47:41

<<considers some kind of alternative herby dressing for the locusts>>

SeaEagleFeather Wed 13-Jul-16 15:19:44

seaweed and rice? Locust sushi?

GerudoValley Wed 13-Jul-16 15:48:03

This is sounding a bit like a Preppers thread.

SeaEagleFeather Wed 13-Jul-16 18:43:30

Mumsnet Survivalist Branch?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now