Talk

Advanced search

So if Leadsome pulls out of the leadership race.....

(30 Posts)
BertrandRussell Mon 11-Jul-16 11:41:14

......how do Leavers feel about the Brexit process being overseen by an unelected leader?

lljkk Mon 11-Jul-16 11:45:02

For me T-May is as elected as Cameron (or Major or Thatcher) was. I had about as much influence. So makes no difference.

lljkk Mon 11-Jul-16 11:45:38

oh, but ps my bad for not reading properly: I'm not a Leaver! Sorry, you know MN, can't ever retract posts, darnit.

BertrandRussell Mon 11-Jul-16 11:48:35

All opinions welcome! grin

RufusTheReindeer Mon 11-Jul-16 11:50:38

bertrand

Have you heard that she might pull out?

Or are you trying to get me all over excited and optimistic and hopeful hmm

lljkk Mon 11-Jul-16 11:51:40

Widely reported on media now, Rufus (turn on Radio 5Live).

RufusTheReindeer Mon 11-Jul-16 11:58:23

Thanks lijjk

Just seen stuff on the other thread....might even put the news on at 12 to watch any potential statements

grin

WordGetsAround Mon 11-Jul-16 12:04:09

I'm a leaver and very happy with how it's turned out. May is committed to the job in hand and, I think, is the right person for the job.

I would take issue with the 'unelected' premise of your question though. It was only 14 months ago that the Conservative Party won a majority in the general election. Cameron was the leader and now May is. May was elected by 199 of her colleagues.

Don't know what is going on with Labour though - when is that going to be sorted out?

Ohwhatalovelysummer Mon 11-Jul-16 12:16:58

Agree word I feel comfortable that she is able to speak for both sides and that she is the right and only person for the task at hand. I am a leaver.
The conservatives won the election and need a new leader (therefore PM) asap, this is the only way forward.

Ohwhatalovelysummer Mon 11-Jul-16 12:19:01

Hopefully, DC will step down immediately so that the country can begin to move on from the uncertainty that has resulted from his departure.

Mistigri Mon 11-Jul-16 12:24:22

She's no more elected or unelected than she would have been if chosen by approximately 150,000 Tory party members (who between them are about 0.3% of the total electorate).

OhStacey Mon 11-Jul-16 12:24:30

I'm a Tory member, voted out but happy its May.

She will be better to unite the country

A4Document Mon 11-Jul-16 14:53:09

I think she will be excellent and a strong negotiator for Britain.

SalemsLott Mon 11-Jul-16 14:58:03

I'm glad that 'Loathsome' woman has pulled out.

LurkingHusband Mon 11-Jul-16 15:00:08

She will be better to unite the country

Not sure if that's an endorsement or a curse grin

NigellasGuest Mon 11-Jul-16 15:06:53

well in the last general election the Tory party was elected, not the prime minister.

Peregrina Mon 11-Jul-16 15:26:39

Both Major and Brown took over without going to the country in a GE. This worked fine until things started to go tits up for both of them. I expect this will be the same for May.

LurkingHusband Mon 11-Jul-16 15:33:20

Both Major and Brown took over without going to the country in a GE. This worked fine until things started to go tits up for both of them.

As I remember, Brown was advised to call a GE to give Labour 5 more years, and to validate his Premiership. Given that even I would have voted for Labour then (not out of dogma - just they weren't the Tories and Brown deserved a fair crack of the whip) I think it's fair that Labour would have won. (I think a lot of people felt like me ????).

However he dithered, and finally said "no" by which point he was sunk and that was that.

On of the great "what ifs" of early C21st UK politics will be centred around "what if Labour had won a 2007 GE" ?

STIDW Mon 11-Jul-16 15:44:16

Brexit campaigns made no commitment to a post Brexit plan. Some voters may have mainly voted for the end of freedom of movement but more liberal leave voters' priority is to be in the single market.

As leaver David Davis said yesterday Andrea Leadsom's comments in the first week of the leadership contest demonstrate she is too inexperienced to be PM. Eg her being a mother; feminism being anti men (many feminists campaign for equality); lifting the ban on fox hunting (governments focus should be on agreeing an exit plan); ending freedom of movement; & invoking Article 50 before the government has agreed a strategy & sought a mandate from MPs.

So I imagine many Brexiteers are relieved if there is to be no contest. Theresa May is experienced & could be PM sooner rather than later. The government can then start formulating an exit strategy which is more likely to obtain the required mandate from MPs. Don't forget her Brexiter Chris Grayling is her campaign manager. Its in no one's interest for uncertainty to continue longer than necessary.

BertrandRussell Mon 11-Jul-16 15:46:36

"many feminists campaign for equality"

As opposed to what? hmm

STIDW Mon 11-Jul-16 15:56:48

^"many feminists campaign for equality"

As opposed to what? hmm^

Opposed to Andrea Leadsom's generalisation. According to her "feminism is a term that’s been used to abuse men.. "

Ohwhatalovelysummer Mon 11-Jul-16 16:25:41

I see the lib dems and labour are pushing for May to call a GE. Why? Surely it wont be a good result for labour given the current state of the party, and if the lib dems think that they will gain much support (as the outside bet) in an already unstable national situation they must be kidding themselves...

Surely Ukip would see an unstable labour party and a virtually extinct lib dem party, as a horrid opportunity to push for greater support from the baffled and fatigued electorate? Not a good plan to run a GE at all imho. Surely it is better for labour to allow this to take its course now and reassemble its objectives and reassure the voters that they are an electable party for 2020? Do they want to concede more seats to UKIP?

STIDW Mon 11-Jul-16 16:45:20

I see the lib dems and labour are pushing for May to call a GE. Why? Surely it wont be a good result for labour given the current state of the party, and if the lib dems think that they will gain much support (as the outside bet) in an already unstable national situation they must be kidding themselves...

Surely Ukip would see an unstable labour party and a virtually extinct lib dem party, as a horrid opportunity to push for greater support from the baffled and fatigued electorate? Not a good plan to run a GE at all imho. Surely it is better for labour to allow this to take its course now and reassemble its objectives and reassure the voters that they are an electable party for 2020? Do they want to concede more seats to UKIP?

Brexit is bigger than any single political party. Lib Dems & Labour could be banking on a backlash to the current uncertainty & a surge in support for the establishment & pro EU MPs at the expense of populist politicians as appears to be happening in other EU countries since the referendum.

The majority of current MPs were in favour of remain & UKIP/Brexiters would need to win quite a few more seats for a majority.

RaptorInaPorkPieHat Mon 11-Jul-16 16:45:46

It almost makes me think it was engineered <adjusts tin foil hat> in a 'we don't want Boris/Gove so we'll put Leadsom in to split the leave vote and then she'll drop out leaving the way for May.

I don't believe that, but it looks good in a 'House of Cards' type way.

The Lib Dems only want a GE because they were destroyed in the last one and have had a boost since Brexit. Labour would be utterly mad to want a GE right now as they're too busy arguing amongst themselves to actually be an effective opposition let alone government.

LurkingHusband Mon 11-Jul-16 16:47:48

I see the lib dems and labour are pushing for May to call a GE

Somebody needs to explain to them - slowly - what irony is ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now