Is there anything we can actually all agree on re Euro ref/ EU/Europe? List.

(8 Posts)
bkgirl Mon 11-Jul-16 02:56:44

Whether you voted Remain, Leave, couldn't have been bothered voting or indeed didn't get a vote. There is too much anger and exasperation.
What if we list things that we can all agree about?

Here are the countries of Europe. I think they are ALL beautiful and the vast majority of the people who live in ALL of them have wonderful positive qualities and cultures.
A
Albania
Andorra
Armenia
Austria
Azerbaijan
B
Belarus
Belgium
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Bulgaria
C
Croatia
Cyprus
Czech Republic
D
Denmark
E
Estonia
F
Finland
France
G
Georgia
Germany
Greece
H
Hungary
I
Iceland
Ireland
Italy
K
Kazakhstan
Kosovo
L
Latvia
Liechtenstein
Lithuania
Luxembourg
M
Macedonia
Malta
Moldova
Monaco
Montenegro
N
Netherlands
Norway
P
Poland
Portugal
R
Romania
Russia
S
San Marino
Serbia
Slovakia
Slovenia
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
T
Turkey
U
Ukraine
United Kingdom (UK)
V
Vatican City (Holy See)

ProfessorPreciseaBug Mon 11-Jul-16 05:57:51

We can also agree that Portugal won a game of football.

Then someone can try and imply a Europe interpretation. Impoverished Portugal kicking one of the founding members of the project... Nah, it was just a game.

BrexitThunderbolt Mon 11-Jul-16 09:36:33

Those countries are not all members of the EU, so not sure what point you're making here.

BreakingDad77 Mon 11-Jul-16 14:28:29

£120 billion (about the same as the costs of the NHS) in tax is estimated to be avoided and evaded in the UK, we need to get on it and get collecting it, start getting into the national psyche that tax evasion the same as benefit fraud.

People here getting fat while inequalty is the worst in Europe, time to trim.

bkgirl Mon 11-Jul-16 15:26:24

BrexitThunderbolt just figured I would go for the widest possible thing to be inclusive. smileIn any case the EU wants to expand significantly (To Asia and Africa).

Ok what about there are a lot of people in the EU that are against war and aggression. Most just want to leave in peace and freedom for all.

sportinguista Mon 11-Jul-16 16:43:02

Of course there are a huge amount of positives about the European continent, but there are positives to be had all round the world. The geographical continent of Europe is not synonymous with the EU which is a man-made entity, Europe existed before the EU and will exist after it. Having met a great many Europeans from many countries I can say for the most part they are agreeable people who like us are trying to get on with it. Conversely they have many of the same anxieties over some of the issues which came up in Brexit, they are not immune from them and neither are they 100% happy, in many cases not even close to 50.

I've spoken to many friends from across Europe and at no point has any one of them said that we feel European because of the EU. We just do anyway.

The vast majority of people across the world are against war and like peace and freedom because it enables us to get through every day without being shot at, tortured or bombed which makes life a whole lot easier and more enjoyable. We in Europe do not have a monopoly on this.

Brexit has no more made the UK no longer part of geographical Europe anymore than not belonging to clubcard makes me no longer able to shop at Tescos.

prettybird Mon 11-Jul-16 17:54:40

....just like when Scotland gains its independence, we'll still geographically be British wink

I remember when I worked in France being told off for saying "en Europe" to differentiate from the UK (because we were all in Europe) and had to remember to say "sur le continent" grin

sportinguista Mon 11-Jul-16 19:33:30

A bit daft really that pretty as we are all on the continent so to speak, what they really mean in the European mainland.

Still not sure why we need to be told that there are nice parts and people to all European countries - everyone knows that Swiss alps are nice etc. But equally if you go to some really shitty parts of any European city it will be distinctly, well, not nice grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now