Talk

Advanced search

EU funding question

(41 Posts)
350millionpoundsaweek Tue 05-Jul-16 18:01:51

Does anyone have a breakdown of what was funded by the EU? Could the govt undertake to continue this once we leave the EU i.e. recipients would not lose out , and in addition the govt would promise to invest our rebate in the NHS? So the £350m/wk was actually still invested in the UK instead of going out to EU then coming back? Would that keep all sides happy? Would we be able to afford it?

Mistigri Tue 05-Jul-16 18:13:33

What £350 million a week? Have you been asleep for the last 10 days?

350millionpoundsaweek Tue 05-Jul-16 18:20:49

I saw the breakdowns to a net of £116m or similar but was the gross disputed?

MotherOfBleach Tue 05-Jul-16 18:24:38

Would we be able to afford it?

In short, no. Partly because it never existed in the first place and partly because we just wiped it off the stock market at around the same time that we killed economic growth.

MotherOfBleach Tue 05-Jul-16 18:29:27

There is, of course, also the fact the we will have to pay for access to a trade market, in order to secure the future of the financial services, which prop up the UK economy.

No-one knows, as yet, how much we will pay or which trade organisation we will join. It could well cost us £116 million a week.

350millionpoundsaweek Tue 05-Jul-16 18:37:09

Do we know who will lose out and by how much? In actual grants I mean, to those who depend on them?

MotherOfBleach Tue 05-Jul-16 18:46:06

Until the government stop the bickering and start running the country, no one knows anything.

We haven't negotiated anything about our exit plan, we don't have a clue which trade organisation we will join or under which terms and we don't know how the markets will look medium term or what will happen re investment and growth.

Until we know what is happening, it's hard to say who will lose and by how much but my bet is that it will be those who can afford it the least that will pay the most, as is normal under a tory gov.

LittleMissBossyBoots Tue 05-Jul-16 18:48:16

EU spending in the UK

citroenpresse Tue 05-Jul-16 18:48:47

I'm not sure that these are the Best sites (EU information pretty incomprehensible a lot of the time). Many of these are multinational, take place over long term timescales and funding is wrapped up in frameworks and programs. Am hoping the Guardian will come up with that kind of stat soon!

This is a background to the EU budget:
EU budget system ec.europa.eu/budget/index_en.cfm

This is a list of funding through the Commission for things like regional development
europa.eu/about-eu/funding-grants/

And from the British Government, an example of projects that were financed through one of those funds (ERFD)
www.gov.uk/guidance/erdf-programmes-progress-and-achievements

Horizon2020 is the current framework program for science and innovation
ec.europa.eu/programmes/horizon2020/

And examples of UK projects…

ec.europa.eu/research/horizon2020/index_en.cfm?pg=country-profiles-detail&ctry=united_kingdom

350millionpoundsaweek Tue 05-Jul-16 18:52:02

Thank you. I'm grasping at straws as you can tell. Wouldn't it help things settle down - people I mean, not the parties, if they thought their funding was underwritten? I read that payment to EU was 0.6% of (pre brexit ) gdp which doesn't seem a lot so I can't understand why the govt haven't come out and say we will guarantee your income stream.

citroenpresse Tue 05-Jul-16 19:02:20

Areas with the highest percentage of leave voters were those that received the greatest proportion of EU funding.

citroenpresse Tue 05-Jul-16 19:05:26

Someone on another thread talked about campaigning in Cornwall. Either people didn't know about the funding. Or they knew about it but 'it didn't affect them'.

MotherOfBleach Tue 05-Jul-16 19:07:21

so I can't understand why the govt haven't come out and say we will guarantee your income stream

There is no government atm grin

Cameron is stepping down so he cannot make any promises and no-one knows who will take over.

MotherOfBleach Tue 05-Jul-16 19:11:14

UKIP were all over our local media and the local area declaring that "EU funding is not a gift" and reasserting that we pay £350 million a week in and only get back what the EU see fit to give us.

Is it possible that similar happened in Cornwall and Wales?

ZenNudist Tue 05-Jul-16 19:17:56

The 'government' or what's left of it can't commit to anything when they've just torn up all their budgets and plans.

I'm a fervent remainder but even I believe the claims that we put in more than we get out. Thing is I can appreciate that access to the EFTA is worth more again.

Government aren't going to prioritise replacing EU funding for poor areas. They're going to set about ensuring that the rich and vested interests get even more of the pie in the coming new order.

<shudders>

citroenpresse Tue 05-Jul-16 19:27:02

This might be helpful...https://fullfact.org/europe/our-eu-membership-fee-55-million/

citroenpresse Tue 05-Jul-16 19:31:49

Lies, damn lies and statistics. We have far more to lose, by leaving the EU.

350millionpoundsaweek Tue 05-Jul-16 19:36:55

I know there is no PM but there is still a governing party who are all making their bids for leadership. I think it would have been a deal clincher - and a salve to the divided people's, if they said to the farmers and the researchers, we will underwrite your income, as part of their bid. No-one has. Zen...they couldn't get away with that now surely, with people watching their every movement? May plays a straight bat, doesn't she? Not so sure about Leadsom.

350millionpoundsaweek Tue 05-Jul-16 19:37:57

iPhone added the apostrophe s. Sorry!

Showmethewaytogohome Tue 05-Jul-16 19:44:44

They can't say that...they know they won't have the money. They can't confirm the actual amount until they have redone budgets - and they are unlikely to fully explain the holes in the budget then. It's a buggers muddle

smallfox1980 Tue 05-Jul-16 19:46:27

Because the £350 million never existed

At maximum its about £160 million net contribution.

But the trade benefits weren't taken into account, so there is very likely to be a lower tax take.

So projects funded by the EU and subsidies will have to be paid for, or not, whatever is left of the tax take on leaving.

It was a fantasy figure, that's why there are no promises, cause there is no guarantee it will even exist following brexit.

MysteriesOfTheOrganism Tue 05-Jul-16 19:46:58

AH, that £350m a week? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Don't tell me you actually believed it?

Besides, Newsnight reported a prediction that the UK economy will shrink by 2% by the end of 2017. That's apparently a reduction of £350m every 2-3 days. Oops.

ZenNudist Tue 05-Jul-16 19:49:09

Of course they can it happens all the time. The just torn up budgets presided over further redistribution of wealth from the young to the old. It's why bus passes and fuel allowances for voting pensioners get protected and benefits for the disabled or the vulnerable get cut. It's why London property market is a playground for overseas investors and a no go land for ordinary public sector workers etc. It's why the upper rate band for inheritance tax has gone up, it's why the 50p tax on earnings over £100,000 was scrapped, whilst cutting local authority budgets forcing back door cuts in public services. And despite my left leaning and liberal tendencies I'd have to admit that labour didn't do as much as they could to redress the balance and they actively made it worse in terms of deregulation of the city.

Bleugh I'm ranting (incoherently) but my point is that the only winners in this game are the haves whilst the have nots lose out.

I'm in the squeezed middle and I don't see much in it for me either but at least I knew I was on to a good thing relatively and voted remain accordingly.

Globetrotter100 Tue 05-Jul-16 19:52:50

No, May does not play a straight bat IMHO. Suggesting to use EU citizens living here in UK as "bargaining chips" is utterly grotesque.

She has, however, declare preference for expenditure cuts over tax increases to compensate for recessionary effects.

In the light of her recent commitment to trident etc expenditure, I take it cuts will be made in the biggest outflows: State pension, benefits, NHS and education.

I can't imagine research or deprived areas or farmers getting further funds diverted from those buckets, sad to say.

We'll all find out soon enough.

citroenpresse Tue 05-Jul-16 20:07:13

It's clearly not about how much we put in vs how much we get out, if the people of Wales and Cornwall are anything to go by. This 'it doesn't affect me' is what its about. I don't want EU funding. I don't want to be controlled by you. You want to stay in the EU because it will make you even richer? Tough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now