Talk

Advanced search

Teresa May - can we trust her to Brexit?

(44 Posts)
PoliticalSpin Tue 05-Jul-16 15:43:38

Just that really. She seems the most sensible choice but will she have the Leavers trust?

SoleBizzz Tue 05-Jul-16 15:53:35

I know someone who went to see her in the 1980's about a broken fence. Repaired within a week.

Alfieisnoisy Tue 05-Jul-16 16:02:07

I am betting none of them will trigger Article 50.

I voted Renain but accept the result and wouldn't want a second referendum. I don't think any of them are keen to go through with it from the shocked responses following the result.

The sad thing for me is that this was absolutely a protest vote by many (not all) Leave voters. My best hope following the result is that MPs would really look at this and make changes....but that hope has now gone. I don't think any of them care about us or what we think.

I think whoever gets in will go their own sweet way and the public can go to hell .

Or am I just being very cynical. After all policiticiams ALWAYS keep their promises...don't they?

PinkyPlumet Tue 05-Jul-16 16:09:35

Can we trust her with anything?confused

ConferencePear Tue 05-Jul-16 16:11:45

Or any of our politicians with anything. If the referendum has shown anything it is the incompetence of our poliiticians of all stripes.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Tue 05-Jul-16 16:14:19

I'm not convinced she was full out for Remain a way. She wasn't exactly campaigning hard was she.

RepentAtLeisure Tue 05-Jul-16 17:11:12

Can we trust her with anything?

Ask Gary McKinnon and his mother.

PoliticalSpin Tue 05-Jul-16 17:35:59

I liked that Ken Clarke described her as 'difficult', which suggests she wouldn't be a pushover, couldn't be bought. And she seems the sort to do the right thing - but will she think heeding the democratic will of the people is the right thing, or bowing to the pressure of the powerful?

crossroads3 Tue 05-Jul-16 18:16:28

Sadly I think we can. She has said "Brexit is Brexit" (angry) with great gravitas, and I think she means it. I also agree that she is a secret leaver.

For me the government no longer have a mandate. Nobody does. There should be a General Election.

ManonLescaut Tue 05-Jul-16 18:59:51

What do you mean by Brexit though - do you mean an EEA agreement or do you mean no EU at all, no single market, and trading by WTO rules?

ManonLescaut Tue 05-Jul-16 19:01:14

I can't work out if she's a secret leaver or a secret remainer. She may not know herself at present.

RiverTam Tue 05-Jul-16 19:05:19

Am I allowed to say in one of the many threads about this woman that it would be great if people could spell her name right - it's Theresa. As any media source or search engine could tell you. This is about the 5th I've seen with her name spelt wrongly and it's driving me nuts. Can't bear the woman, my blood runs cold at the idea of her being PM, but I can still get her name right!

Rant over. As you were.

NameChanger22 Tue 05-Jul-16 19:09:02

We can't trust her with our human rights, that's a given. But I hope she is truly a remainer and decides to put our interests before the silly referendum.

JudyCoolibar Tue 05-Jul-16 19:13:42

It's all a bit academic, really, it looks as if we're stuck with her as she's got 165 votes in the first round of the leadership election against a combined total of 164 for all the others.

Mistigri Tue 05-Jul-16 19:19:24

It's not MPs who decide Judy, they vote on which two candidates will be put forward for election by the Tory party membership.

May probably still has it in the bag though.

BlunderWomansCat Tue 05-Jul-16 20:38:50

Liam Fox is out of the running and Stephen Crabb has just withdrawn, both are backing May now.

YesThisIsMe Tue 05-Jul-16 20:53:56

Brexit means Brexit, but it doesn't have to mean what the Leave voters thought they were voting for.

ProfessorPreciseaBug Tue 05-Jul-16 21:15:44

She was not a Brexit supporter.. but she has said Brexit means Brexit. There is a good chance she will be able to offer the remainers and the leavers something..

We have a divided country and it needs healing..

RockandRollsuicide Tue 05-Jul-16 21:21:22

Yes there are many shocked voices , but I think if they dared to avoid triggering it, you would see massive civil un rest.

Although its being spun the other way, there are millions of happy leave voters waiting for the Uk to leave.

RockandRollsuicide Tue 05-Jul-16 21:22:47

We have a divided country and it needs healing..

Yes and this is one of the positives of the Leave win actually. I am sure concessions can be won to appease remainers in some way.

However had remain won, we know the EU would not have budged in a single issue. And the country would have stayed very much fractured,

Blue4ever Tue 05-Jul-16 21:29:05

We can't trust any of the candidates to Brexit or not to Brexit. There is NO plan. There will be an unelected pm with a mandate to carry out the most important task in the recent history of this country. It's mental. I wouldn't trust and don't trust any of them.

crossroads3 Tue 05-Jul-16 22:28:44

there are millions of happy leave voters waiting for the Uk to leave.

How do these people think their lives will change for the better when the UK leaves the EU? Genuine question.

Millyonthefloss2 Tue 05-Jul-16 22:38:21

We've discussed how things will change for the better at length.
Just as important is how they won't change for the worser. A lot of bad shit is going down in the EU.

CoteDAzur Tue 05-Jul-16 22:44:03

"We've discussed how things will change for the better at length. Just as important is how they won't change for the worser."

I'm curious. How exactly does your crystal ball show things not changing for the "worser"?

You seem to know something that the financial markets and Governor of BoE have totally missed. I'd love to hear what it is.

Blue4ever Tue 05-Jul-16 22:52:47

They are experts, Côte d'Azur. They don't count, remember?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now