Talk

Advanced search

Batshit Reasons For Voting

(23 Posts)
LittleMissBossyBoots Mon 04-Jul-16 23:01:56

I'm sure we all voted for sensible reasons but I'm beginning to realise that my mother isn't the only batshit voter out there.

Today I saw a clip on FB where the woman said she was voting leave because the eggs her supermarket sells are shit.

Saw another where the guy says he voted remain because he likes Eurovision.

But these are light-weights compared to my mother who voted leave because she believes Angela Merkel and David Cameron are lizards in human form and leaving is the only way to defeat them. I shit you not.

Any others?

NewMinouMinou Mon 04-Jul-16 23:14:31

I know someone who voted leave because they think Boris Johnson is amusing.

Talking online to a relative now - she saw one of her FB friends ask "In or out" and went with the majority decision despite no sensible arguments either way.

BessieBraddocksEgg Mon 04-Jul-16 23:14:47

I knew someone in the Scottish referendum who had had their consciousness raised by the tv weather map!

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Mon 04-Jul-16 23:17:29

My parents voted out because a random fisherman somewhere was asked to change the packaging on his fish. If we left the EU he could leave his fish packaging as it was.

Or something.

Maz2444466 Mon 04-Jul-16 23:21:51

LittleMissBossyBoots

Hilarious grin
Seriously, I'm actually laughing to myself! I have to tell DH this!

AndNowItsSeven Mon 04-Jul-16 23:24:16

Great so our country is stuffed because people are as thick as mince.

AgingJuvenileBinkyHuckaback Mon 04-Jul-16 23:25:06

I am reminded by a piece ages ago by (I think) Matthew Parris where he was canvassing and said that a woman on the doorstep insisted that she wanted to "bring back hanging and send the blacks home" and so was voting for "that nice Mrs [Shirley] Williams". No amount of carefully evidenced argument on the subject of the SDP's actual policies could shift her in her determination to put her protest vote in the box marked "Protest Here" regardless of what it might actually achieve.

Theonslostbits Mon 04-Jul-16 23:27:21

I know a few people who voted remain so the tories didn't have all the power

JudyCoolibar Mon 04-Jul-16 23:32:02

I came across someone who voted leave because she hadn't been able to get an appointment with her GP. She's cross because she still can't.

annandale Mon 04-Jul-16 23:32:59

LOl at the Blackshirt Shirley Williams aging

GraceGrape Mon 04-Jul-16 23:37:04

A colleague voted out because "these immigrants are coming over here beheading people", as if there were machete-wielding Poles and Austrians on every street corner.

Cherrypi Mon 04-Jul-16 23:42:10

I heard several people mention a mistrust of Germans due to ww2 by people not born then.

Kummerspeck Mon 04-Jul-16 23:42:49

I know someone who voted remain because she was worried the French might stop her bringing back her favourite wine if we went out

apatheticfallacy Mon 04-Jul-16 23:59:36

If she's afraid of lizard men then having Gove as the next PM isn't going to help things...

ZenNudist Tue 05-Jul-16 00:04:30

Actual quotes from Leavers:

"We need to stop these Europeans sending our troops into battle";

"When we voted in the seventies we didn't vote to be ruled by them" (to a family member, I was too polite to raise the fact that 'them' includes 'us' in sizeable representation)

"Let's face it, we couldn't go on the way we were doing"! (The same person also said of Scottish wanting independence as a result "let them go!")

And today something incoherent from my friend about "London based rapists from overseas who have gone now but we couldn't get him out though we wanted him to go, and we need to get rid of these European laws it's even affecting health and safety"!

Plus my boss and my FIL: "it's simple we put in more money than we get out", simples!

I'm so glad people thought this through.. 😒😵😖

Theonslostbits Tue 05-Jul-16 00:15:34

We are out. We will survive

Holowiwi Tue 05-Jul-16 00:20:18

This should never have been decided by the general population there are so many idiots.

AgingJuvenileBinkyHuckaback Tue 05-Jul-16 00:21:15

To be fair Kummerspeck. "I'm voting Remain because I want to continue to bring back umpteen litres of my favourite cheap wine on my quarterly booze cruise to Calais" is perfectly rational. You could argue that it's petty and doesn't really grasp the full global political nuances of the situation, but there is no doubt that Brexit probably will prevent her from doing that
Actually the only reason I might have considered voting Brexit is because I don't like the way that hooky tobacco imports from France have been undermining public health/taxation initiatives in the UK.

Theonslostbits Tue 05-Jul-16 00:23:00

But that works both ways surely. I dont understand the remain vote except for fear of "what if?"

Wombat45 Tue 05-Jul-16 00:25:05

I heard of someone voting leave "because if we stay in the EU, we won't be able to celebrate Christmas or Easter in 20 years' time."

Mistigri Tue 05-Jul-16 07:11:17

My MIL came across someone celebrating because "now the potholes will get filled in".

JudyCoolibar Tue 05-Jul-16 07:11:23

Then there's the person round these parts who voted Leave because she didn't like the Human Rights court and thought it would mean the court would be out of the picture, despite the fact that the court has nothing to do with the EU. Mind you, she did have the excuse that Gove and that fool Raab had lied directly about it.

UnderTheGreenwoodTree Tue 05-Jul-16 09:29:50

Our neighbour told us that he voted leave because there are too many muslims. I haven't dared say that on here before, because I thought people would accuse me of making it up.

My mum voted leave because she was fed up with the 'Brussels bureaucrats' as she put it (I think she also confused EU with ECHR) and wouldn't hear a word anyone said on the matter. In fact, when I looked into it, ie. reading what law and politics academics have said (those dreaded experts) it's not nearly as bad or undemocratic as people seem to think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now