The border is coming to Dover after all?

(7 Posts)
Figmentofmyimagination Mon 04-Jul-16 17:53:08

Or so it says in my evening standard - according to French presidential hopeful juppe, unless Hollande holds on in the next French election.

I think that's pretty funny actually, in a 'black humour', 'told you so' sort of a way, but that's very childish of me so I'll stop now.

sorenofthejnaii Mon 04-Jul-16 17:56:45

It would be ironic if the effect of the UK referendum was to make something come true because the French decided they wanted it to come true even though the Leave campaign said it wouldn't happen.

IPityThePontipines Mon 04-Jul-16 18:02:45

Figment - I think it's funny too, it's not just you.

Peregrina Mon 04-Jul-16 18:06:32

The border may come back to Dover, where it used to be before. Would the Sangatte camp come? No, that's unlikely, because at the moment the Channel provides a bottleneck, but there is nothing in Dover to stop people spreading out.

scaryteacher Mon 04-Jul-16 18:20:33

That therefore means the French border at Dover and St Pancras will have to move back to Calais, Dunkirk, and presumably Lille, as the Eurostar doesn't stop at Calais, and so everyone will have to disembark at Lille with all their luggage, or they'll have to put an extra stop in at Calais for that.

BlunderWomansCat Mon 04-Jul-16 18:29:41

When I posted about this on a thread a few days ago I was shouted down.

Mistigri Mon 04-Jul-16 18:42:38

It won't even be considered until after the French election.

Like I said on the other thread, I don't think the Le Touquet agreement will survive a "full brexit" - but it hasn't come to that yet. Remember that our French politicians play to their audience just as much as yours do, and a right winger like Juppé will need to steal voters from the National Front in order to get into the second round.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now