Talk

Advanced search

Brexit and accountability . Lessons to be learned from Bloody Sunday, Hillsborough and Iraq/Chilcott

(2 Posts)
morningrunner Sun 03-Jul-16 16:21:00

If brexit happens and IF it's a disaster there will undoubtedly be some form of public enquiry into how and why it happened. Questions asked about the t Adobe for the referendum, about assertions and promises made in the lead up to the vote and scrutiny of those in charge in the aftermath. IF it's a disaster there will be future accountability. Maybe not for years. It's taken 13 years for TB to face the music for Iraq. His name of the actions is poison in the Labour Party and he is reviled at home for what he did. He may be facing impeachment proceedings in parliament. It took 26 years for South Yorks police to be held accountable for Hillsborough. But the chickens come home to roost in the end.

At the moment those in charge just do not seem to understand that they will be held accountable eventually for the long term consequences of their actions.

Might be worth reminding them that if this goes horribly wrong there will be an inquisition into how the fuck this happened that will make the Chilcott enquiry look like a Parkinson interview .

Figmentofmyimagination Sun 03-Jul-16 20:14:35

I actually think it doesn't need to wait. I'd like the Scottish affairs select committee to get going interviewing them all immediately - - based on eg the evidence of lies and misleading info already charted by eg michael duggan.

Ok their remit is limited to Scotland, but to decide how Scotland has been affected, they will need to cross examine everyone involved.

They have a really good recent track record holding people to account - think eg the 2015 blacklisting inquiry - and also their recent inquiry into zero hours contracts.

The House of Lords cross party select committees are also good at putting people under pressure, but the difference with the Scottish affairs Ctee is that I'm guessing they would be keen to get going immediately. Uncomfortable times ahead for these arseholes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now