Talk

Advanced search

Why are Leave voters afraid of a second referendum? Don't they trust the results?

(184 Posts)
MrsJackAubrey Fri 01-Jul-16 17:03:06

If you really believe in democracy and that the Leave vote was the will of the people, then surely you will be confident that a second referendum would have exactly the same outcome?

But Leavers aren't, are they - they're terrified of a second referendum because they know that the results would be Remain.

From which we can infer that there is actually a real lack of depth, of meaning, in the Leave vote, given that it would be overturned in a second referendum. Which totally supports the view that there should be a second referendum.

Thefuturecouldbebright Fri 01-Jul-16 17:03:28

🙄🙄🙄🙄

Thefuturecouldbebright Fri 01-Jul-16 17:04:10

CharlieSierra Fri 01-Jul-16 17:06:04

I do believe in democracy, and the leave vote was the will of the people. Therefore there cannot be a second referendum. HTH

QueenOfNowt Fri 01-Jul-16 17:07:46

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Lottielo Fri 01-Jul-16 17:24:21

I think that a lot of leave voters must have their doubts now that it is clear that there is no plan. With the exception of the protest voters, I am sure that the majority of the leave supporters expected that the Brexit leaders would have an idea of where they were going with this and what they wanted out of any deal with Europe. Now we'll all be arguing about whether to follow this economic model or that economic model. I am sure none of us expected that the whole nation would be at each other's throats, not to mention that political problems and racist attacks. It has been a bloody miserable week and I just want to get back to how it was pre-referendum. I am not sure the EU would even want us to backtrack now!

I am absolutely convinced that a large number of leave voters would now choose to remain.

user1467101855 Fri 01-Jul-16 17:24:56

Good point OP.

The leave vote was the will of only slightly over half the people, and it was arguably based on an awful lot of lies and false promises.

But your biggest mistake was having a referendum without a referendum commission, oversight to stop such outrageous lies and politicking, or any plan for what would happen afterwards.

You really should do it all over again, this time properly.

BlueFolly Fri 01-Jul-16 17:26:16

I voted leave and was gutted with what happened, however the idea that you can keep going until you get the result you want is ridiculous.

BlueFolly Fri 01-Jul-16 17:26:36

Aaargh - I mean remain!

Alisvolatpropiis Fri 01-Jul-16 17:27:27

Is it democratic to refuse to allow those who have said they feel they were misinformed when voting Leave, to change their minds? hmm

Alisvolatpropiis Fri 01-Jul-16 17:29:16

The referendum was advisory, the "will of the people" was not asked for, merely their opinions.

bkgirl Fri 01-Jul-16 17:29:52

Suck it up. The people voted leave. Talk about denial!
EU is insisting that it is followed through.
So just....get over it.
Look for the good! There is plenty. smile

Lottielo Fri 01-Jul-16 17:31:14

There were lies on both sides and for that reason I think another referendum is justified.

Destinysdaughter Fri 01-Jul-16 17:35:13

Think we may have burned our bridges in Europe now tho...

What I don't understand is, if it has to be agreed by Parliament, how will it get through, since a majority of MPs don't agree with it?

MarkRuffaloCrumble Fri 01-Jul-16 17:35:23

I know of three people who didn't vote at all, who now wish they'd voted leave and one other who actually voted remain but now regrets it. Second referendum, bring it on!

eyebrowsonfleek Fri 01-Jul-16 17:37:42

I'm a stay voter but can not understand why people think that a second referendum is applicable here?
Democracy trumps everything.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Fri 01-Jul-16 17:38:06

If you really believe in democracy and that the Leave vote was the will of the people, then surely you will be confident that a second referendum would have exactly the same outcome?

If you really believe in democracy you would stand by the result and not want to keep having more and more until you get what you want.

I voted Remain.

I also know some that voted remain that would vote leave if a second referendum was called as that was the will of the people the first time.

HelpfulChap Fri 01-Jul-16 17:38:28

I would abstain at a second ref. Or maybe just take a dump on the ballot paper.

Cameron, Corbyn, Osbourne, Darling, Brown, Sturgeon, Khan and the war criminal Blair on one side.

Boris, Gove, Galloway, Skinner, Farage & the RMT etc on the other.

Hobsons choice.

Basicbrown Fri 01-Jul-16 17:44:34

The biggest issue with a second referendum is the damage a further period of uncertainty would do. Quite simply the best option now is to stop hand wringing and get on with building a successful, independent EU. Because despite the biased analysis of the remain camp there are options out there.

Basicbrown Fri 01-Jul-16 17:46:00

Although tbf your question is asking leave voters and I voted remain.

tiggytape Fri 01-Jul-16 17:46:06

Even supposing it went ahead - and of course there's no way it can - what happens if the result isn't as you'd like or is even less clear overall?

For example is the result was 67% leave on a 43% turnout (assuming voter fatigue, some remainers opting not to vote because they disagree with holding a second vote, some people sick to the back teeth of the whole thing and stay at home). Would that stand as a leave vote?

Supposing people on both sides turned out in larger numbers to hammer home their message and we got a 50.04% leave victory on an 82% turnout? Would that stand as a leave vote?

Supposing Remain won by 50.03% on a 43% turnout and everyone who voted leave insisted the new result was less clear than the first one so didn't count? Would that be a Remain victory? Would that be enough to reverse the Leave one that was greater?

You could go on forever.

And of course trying to insert controls (eg we need a clear 10% margin on a 65% turnout for it to count) would lead to accusations of it not being a rerun at all but a stitch-up to get the "right" result which opens the whole thing up to delays and legal challenges.

And whilst that went back and forth, we'd be in a pre-Brexit limbo lasting months if not years.
We'd have no clear government, the economy would stall in the uncertainty and the country would be at a standstill. Nobody would invest here. No trade talks could even start. Europe would keep up it's meeting without us. We'd literally grind to a halt.

SnowBells Fri 01-Jul-16 17:48:41

To the people saying "shut up".

Well, by virtue of those two words alone, you're undemocratic yourself.

Spinflight Fri 01-Jul-16 17:49:08

A second referendum would merely see the leave camp pointing to the treasuries dodgy dossier, pointing out the actual effects seen ( see my thread about this) and win by a Landslide.

A big Landslide!

GreenishMe Fri 01-Jul-16 17:52:11

The biggest issue with a second referendum is the damage a further period of uncertainty would do. Quite simply the best option now is to stop hand wringing and get on with building a successful, independent EU. Because despite the biased analysis of the remain camp there are options out there.

This

BreakingDad77 Fri 01-Jul-16 17:57:15

A second ref on wether we go for the EU free movement/trade deal of most likely free movement vs walking away from it all WTO i think is fair.

Leave is not as simple as people pretend it is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now