Talk

Advanced search

Please name some marginal MPs who might support a parliamentary vote

(11 Posts)
Figmentofmyimagination Fri 01-Jul-16 11:14:26

There is an on-going high level debate among lawyers as to whether or not brexit requires parliamentary approval, as opposed to being decided just by the government of the day.

I have written to my own MP to tell him how I feel, but as he is a Leaver, it would also be useful to know the names of some other "marginal" pro EU MPs to write to, to make the case for a parliamentary vote.

MPs with a clear Remain mandate - e.g. London and Scotland - would, I am guessing, support a parliamentary vote. So we need to target some other MPs, who will be thinking about the best thing to do and how it would play out in their constituencies. Any ideas of who to target? Proper reasoned individual emails.

I'm only interested in names - not in a big long argument as to whether or not you think seeking parliamentary approval is appropriate.

wowfudge Fri 01-Jul-16 11:36:23

Can you please clarify what you mean by a marginal MP?

wowfudge Fri 01-Jul-16 11:38:39

Have re-read your post OP and understand now. I've already written to my MP (Tory Brexiter sadly) and I haven't had a response. My counting area was 50.5% out v 49.5% in.

Figmentofmyimagination Fri 01-Jul-16 11:40:46

I don't think there is anything to stop us writing to MPs who are not in our constituency though. My MP is a Tory Brexiter too. I am not expecting a response to my email!

PigletWasPoohsFriend Fri 01-Jul-16 11:44:06

MPs have said they will abide by the result. Only a very small amount haven't.

Even Anna Soubry a staunch Remainer has said the result has to be adhered to.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Fri 01-Jul-16 11:44:59

I don't think there is anything to stop us writing to MPs who are not in our constituency though

No nothing to stop you. They are extremely unlikely to respond however.

tiggytape Fri 01-Jul-16 11:49:04

As far as I know, you can only raise issues with your own MP and this is why they insist you supply an address and postcode with your letter.

There is one MP for each constituency and they are there to represent the all their constituents, not just the people who voted for them or agree with them on a particular issue.

SymphonyofShadows Fri 01-Jul-16 11:49:30

Our MP is a Brexiter. We had a 63% vote for Remain in our constituency with and 82% turnout. There is a petition to get rid of the MP that has grown massively in 2 days. She also voted against gay marriage because 'the church told me to' and stole expenses then lied about it. I'm not holding my breath.

SymphonyofShadows Fri 01-Jul-16 11:49:54

*an

sorenofthejnaii Fri 01-Jul-16 11:52:13

Marginal MPs. Kind of sums up the issues with democracy where only a few constituencies decide who wins and becomes the Government.

Figmentofmyimagination Fri 01-Jul-16 13:35:16

"I don't think there is anything to stop us writing to MPs who are not in our constituency though

No nothing to stop you. They are extremely unlikely to respond however."

Yes I think that too - but what about the House of Lords - they don't have a constituency.

And surely to God these MPs will not vote through Brexit without a proper impact assessment examining the economic gains and losses?

I thought that this government had changed the law to make that a requirement of all new legislation.

I would like, in particular, to know how they can possibly square all this with the new "Growth duty" that they introduced in the Deregulation Act 2015 -

www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/20/section/108/enacted

(ha ha ha ha, excuse me while I fall over laughing).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now