Talk

Advanced search

Tell me about Theresa May

(20 Posts)
PosiePootlePerkins Fri 01-Jul-16 06:46:08

Really interested to hear all and any views about Theresa May, now that it looks like she might well be standing at the next General Election. I'm not a journalist!! Just a humble teaching assistant, following all the events of the referendum, and am really trying to get my head around Brexit. Have found MN a useful source of information.
I have to go to work soon but will be back later to read all opinions. Thanks in advance.

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Fri 01-Jul-16 06:48:25

She has a beautiful name.

Teresa May. Gorgeous.

Do we know if it's her birth name or did she take it on along with some bloke??

PosiePootlePerkins Fri 01-Jul-16 06:56:38

Er thankshmm but I believe she is Theresa with an h

wowfudge Fri 01-Jul-16 06:57:30

She is standing for Conservative party leader and will automatically become prime minister without there being a general election. Unless there has been more drama overnight and things have changed again.

megletthesecond Fri 01-Jul-16 07:00:19

Scarily right wing. Professional and calm but gives me a Cruella de Ville vibe. Can't stand her.

iisme Fri 01-Jul-16 07:12:07

During her stint as Home Secretary she has seemed utterly lacking in compassion. Agree with very right wing. A few months ago I would have said she is absolutely the last person I would like to see running the country, though given the other choices currently available ...

tabulahrasa Fri 01-Jul-16 07:13:03

Well she gives speeches saying that immigration lowers wages and raises unemployment even though the review done by her department says otherwise...she wants to differentiate between real asylum seekers and all those pretend ones, she was until she ran for leader trying to push to ditch the ECHR, but she's said she won't do that now, I'm assuming so she can get in rather than because she's suddenly decided that she's ok with the human rights.

iisme Fri 01-Jul-16 07:52:35

Also, she was responsible for those lovely 'go home' vans.

SweetPeaPods Fri 01-Jul-16 08:00:18

Can't stand her. She will ruin our police force. She wants to privatise much of it which is a coincidence given her strong links with G4S

Spinflight Fri 01-Jul-16 08:07:29

I've never heard a good word said about her abilities as a minister. Seems to be a favourite of the media but certainly not by anyone who has worked under her.

Did see a very critical list of her achievements in office some time ago , there wasn't much to cheer about.

Flacidunicorn Fri 01-Jul-16 08:11:35

kingjoffrey

Teresa May is a different person, a very different person to Theresa May. ;)

JustAOneOffToday Fri 01-Jul-16 08:16:58

On the thread about media bias, someone said she's pro sharia law in the uk, which obviously feminists disagree with (quite rightly in my opinion).

JustAOneOffToday Fri 01-Jul-16 08:18:01

This was the link given to support that claim http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/674489/Home-Secretary-Theresa-May-says-Britain-benefits-Sharia-Law

LaContessaDiPlump Fri 01-Jul-16 08:41:04

Here is a link to her voting record:

www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/10426/theresa_may/maidenhead/votes

I was particularly struck by how she voted against banning fox hunting and for badger culling, as well as her pro-stance on the Iraq war. She did vote in favour of capping tuition fees but also in favour of reducing reducing housing benefits and welfare benefits.

Bascially I consider her to be almost pure Tory, God help us all.

LaContessaDiPlump Fri 01-Jul-16 08:46:45

In fact, just to be fair, here's a comparison of the 5 candidates.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/30/conservative-leadership-race-who-are-the-five-candidates

Duckstar Fri 01-Jul-16 08:50:29

She's my MP. She's very liked respected in the constituency. She has a 30,000 vote majority! Even as Home Secretary has got involved with loval issues (getting crossrail extended to Reading, issues with local schools). Day of the referendum she was at the train station campaigning in the rain. I hope she becomes PM. Out of all the candidates think she will be the most sensible, not let her ego get in the way and take the country through what is likely to be difficult times.

Duckstar Fri 01-Jul-16 08:51:10

She was campaigning to Remain In I should add.

DontBuyANewMumCashmere Fri 01-Jul-16 09:05:38

I was a police officer and I can not stand her (biased, of course).
She criticised all officers and implied we were all corrupt and racist, told us we were fiddling figures (at the home office's behest) then took credit for crime falling, cut our budgets until they were unworkable, told us we should be "cutting crime and nothing more" which sounds fine and dandy but the biggest part of our job is helping vulnerable people and if we rightly always look to help people, over property, then we will never be just cutting crime.

Draylon Fri 01-Jul-16 09:09:27

I know someone who works for her, regular meetings etc; and whilst I would describe my friend as being take-no-prisoners 'business like' herself; she says TM is cold and calculating and agrees that TM would like to privatise the police force.

PosiePootlePerkins Fri 01-Jul-16 12:43:05

Just had a read through all of your replies. Thank you. Lots of interesting bits of information to think about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now