Talk

Advanced search

Semi serious - BoJo's popularity & HIGNFY

(15 Posts)
MimiLeBonk Fri 01-Jul-16 05:37:34

Semi serious question. Do other Mumsnetters think BoJo only became popular after hosting Have I Got News For You? After he was on that he suddenly seemed like the popular politician and was everywhere in the media.

It's a theory in this house that if he had not been on that program he would not have been known enough to eventually become mayor, then on to leading this campaign and then Brexit would have not gained the votes it did.

What do others think?

bearleftmonkeyright Fri 01-Jul-16 06:01:03

I agree. Hignfy made Farage appear charming and affable also. hmm

MissMargie Fri 01-Jul-16 17:53:31

Boris was on desert island discs in 2005 so he must have been relatively well known then

LurkingHusband Fri 01-Jul-16 17:55:34

It's hard not to like someone who discusses the intricacies of Latin grammar on a populist comedy program .... (if my memory is correct).

LurkingHusband Fri 01-Jul-16 17:56:18

and who can forget

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wrSUeDxBhg

FinallyHere Fri 01-Jul-16 18:00:15

I view BoJo rather as the spawn of the devil. I find his faux-Im just a regular chap me act irritating in the extreme.

Not usually a conspiracy theorist, but I make an exception for this piece of work. I strongly suspect that he has engineered the excuse for not running in the current circumstances and that he will be back when the dust has settled. Sigh.

Tiggeryoubastard Fri 01-Jul-16 18:01:33

He's been well known/popular for years - my youngest asked for a mini Boris for his 12th birthday (and every one since) over 8 years ago.

Tiggeryoubastard Fri 01-Jul-16 18:02:53

^ I agree he'll be back when the dust settles. That's common sense and politics which seems an oxymoron.

WhiskyTangoFoxtrot Fri 01-Jul-16 18:03:18

He's appeared on it 6 times since 1998, and the timings don't seem to map to his electoral successes.

But even if they did, he's appeared less than half the number of times of that other well known former London Mayor, Ken Livingstone.

throwingpebbles Fri 01-Jul-16 18:06:45

Agree, sadly.

LurkingHusband Fri 01-Jul-16 18:14:19

Incidentally, his BBC documentaries about early Islam was very good.

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00g1fp1

If he's stuck to being a classics professor ....

LurkingHusband Fri 01-Jul-16 18:16:26

Also Dream of Rome

genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/1715ab3956624eb9803c23c68985da74

Where he speaks French and Italian (but clearly, like me, feels a tad unsure of his German smile).

W8woman Fri 01-Jul-16 20:25:24

DH confessed to me that he voted for Boris for Mayor after seeing his Who Do You Think You Are programme. Boris has multiple ethnicities including Turkish and his wife is half Indian (and incidentally wore a spectacular sari to the Royal Wedding). DH thought this meant Boris would be a good representative of melting pot London. At no time did DH establish Boris's actual policies. FFS should have LTB hmm

MimiLeBonk Fri 01-Jul-16 21:51:54

I certainly remember him being pro fox hunting in the debate prior to 2006 when I changed jobs, this is when he seemed to become a national 'luvvie" and get more recognition

MimiLeBonk Fri 01-Jul-16 21:54:42

And I'm fairly sure sure Ian Hislop mentioned something similar on HIGNFY in the run up to him becoming Mayor

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now