President Hollande confirms borders will stay in Calais

(23 Posts)
BritBrit Thu 30-Jun-16 16:36:00

So much for the scaremongering that after Brexit the Jungle will move to Dover, it is confirmed by President Hollande that the border will stay in Calais

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3666971/Europe-starts-crack-migrants-French-say-Britain-trade-deal-control-border.html

Thefuturecouldbebright Thu 30-Jun-16 16:36:47

Quelle surprise... Sorry, had to be said! 😂

RortyCrankle Thu 30-Jun-16 17:12:44

What a surprise, not. Yet another hysterical Remain lie shot down in flames.

Thefuturecouldbebright Thu 30-Jun-16 17:22:19

Interesting how few comments there are on this. Just sayin.

Also, I see the FTSE is back up again. But hush now, its positive news, we wouldnt want to be accused of breaking away from the doom mongering now would we?

Thefuturecouldbebright Thu 30-Jun-16 17:23:49

The pound is still not fully recovered, but that isnt ALL doom and gloom either, our exports suddenly look more attractive as a result.

sleepwhenidie Thu 30-Jun-16 17:26:53

Well of course it will, otherwise the problem of immigrants gathering in Calais would be even worse and the French would still have to manage them, it's not as if they'd just be allowed to hop onto ferries etc, it would be no easier to actually get across the Channel.

sleepwhenidie Thu 30-Jun-16 17:27:15

And I'm a Remain voter btw!

Winterbiscuit Thu 30-Jun-16 17:35:52

smile

VikingVolva Thu 30-Jun-16 17:37:01

Pound is slowly creeping upwards, but still has some (rather long) way to go. But the direction of travel is encouraging.

FTSE (this morning) back to a high last seen in April (haven't checked how it closed).

This doesn't suit Project Doom.

But is showing that pragmatism will be watchword.

mrsm43s Thu 30-Jun-16 17:51:11

Are refugees still going to want to come to the UK once we're not part of the EU? I'm not sure exactly what residency rights/freedom of movement settled refugees get once they've been registered etc, but I'd presume that a EU country as opposed to a non EU one would give more choices and options, so presumably the UK has now become less desirable?

STIDW Thu 30-Jun-16 18:20:42

The pound is still not fully recovered

FTSE (this morning) back to a high last seen in April

Actually late this afternoon the GBP/USD fell back to the 30 yr low reached on Monday. Companies have frozen investment & aren’t taking on new staff. Insurance companies have reduced the annuity rates they pay when people take out new pensions.

FTSE100 is doing OK but 70% of it’s companies earnings are derived from overseas. FTSE250 is a better indication of companies whose earnings are made in the UK & it hasn’t recouped it’s losses since the referendum.

This is just the beginning, it will be months or even years before we are out of the woods.

sleepwhenidie Thu 30-Jun-16 18:54:11

Agree FTSE or even 250 aren't necessarily an indicator. Everything is in limbo at the moment because nobody knows what the deal will be. Hard data on jobs/investment/performance (or lack thereof) will take time (weeks at least) to flow through.

loobyloo1234 Thu 30-Jun-16 20:22:32

The FTSE 250 is the better indicator for us here to be honest. On the 16th June it was at 16032, today it is at 16271 after dropping to 14967 on Monday. Glad it has started to stabilise - at least for now

Thefuturecouldbebright Fri 01-Jul-16 07:48:08

More heartening news, supposedly (although I have not seen it confirmed in all news outlets) HSBC and Barclays are staying put.

Thefuturecouldbebright Fri 01-Jul-16 07:50:24

STIDW you took a section of what I said out of context. I also said that UK exports would seem more favourable now due to the falling pound. So it is not all bad that the pound has dipped. There are some benefits.

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Fri 01-Jul-16 07:53:54

I wish that nonsense about exports would stop.

Exports don't just come out of the air, to produce something we need to import components and ingredients, and use petrol and with the weak pound all of these will be more expensive.

Thefuturecouldbebright Fri 01-Jul-16 07:57:36

Agreed, its swings and roundabouts, All I am saying is, that the dip in the pound is not financial armageddon as many keep claiming.

Thefuturecouldbebright Fri 01-Jul-16 07:59:20

In my case, my material cost has risen within my business, (as a direct result of brexit in fact) however, my product is now as a result of the fallen pound more competitive in markets outside the UK. Which gives me a much larger market to tap in to.

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Fri 01-Jul-16 08:19:04

I'm genuinely happy for you Bright.

Weak pound is not the panacea for all though.

Thefuturecouldbebright Fri 01-Jul-16 08:23:42

Chardonnay, I never said it was, and mine is merely one example of some side benefits. However I reiterate my point, that a fall in the pound, whilst it is certainly no Panacea, is not Armageddon either.

sorenofthejnaii Fri 01-Jul-16 08:26:27

This doesn't suit Project Doom

I think we can only begin to make judgements in a few years when we see GDP and we see the reality of Government income and tax and spending alterations - as well as figures on immigration from the EU and non EU immigration.

It's too early to say what the effect has been as we don't even know what deal we will get.

Thefuturecouldbebright Fri 01-Jul-16 08:31:05

This I totally agree with Soren, however, please can the remainers also take heed of this well made point? Because the narrative thus far, based on 7 days (a very short time in finance) has been something chicken little would be very proud of!

sorenofthejnaii Fri 01-Jul-16 08:39:06

This I totally agree with Soren, however, please can the remainers also take heed of this well made point

True - but I think that people have got to prepare for the worst case rather than having a head in the sand. We don't know but the talk about EU trade deals and the different signals coming from politicians and the EU are worrying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now