Definition of a bigot - for my fellow Leave voters

(8 Posts)
hubris Thu 30-Jun-16 00:35:25

BIGOT: a person who is intolerant towards those holding different opinions. (Oxford Dictionaries online)
BIGOT: Obstinate and intolerant adherent of a creed or view. (Concise Oxford Dictionary)
BIGOT: A person who is intolerant of any ideas other than his or her own, esp on religion, politics or race. (Collins)

I think we Leavers could do with a snappy word now to describe any further offensive insinuations that a Leave vote must have a link to racism, xenophobia or stupidity.

Just5minswithDacre Thu 30-Jun-16 01:42:11

wine

Letmehaveausername Thu 30-Jun-16 01:44:30

OR we could all grow up and stop calling each other names....? That applies to both sides.

markingthebench Thu 30-Jun-16 02:01:56

Yes, well not all of remainers see you this way.

I have been talking to a few leavers in my neighbourhood, and their level of non-understanding has left me shocked and grieved. I don't think they are stupid, just ill informed and the education system has let them down.

Lots of very educated folk also voted leave, and I can respect that too, even though disagree.

Anyway, we have gone and done it now! There's no going back sad

ProfessorPreciseaBug Thu 30-Jun-16 06:11:31

So in practice...

Leavers, we want to leave Europe and are working towards leaving.
Remainers, any vote other than remain is wrong.

One of my neighbours, (church going, self appointed pillar of the community) told me she would never speak to me again if I voted leave. Of course it is more difficult to gauge how leavers would have reacted if the vote had gone the other way.

YourPerception Thu 30-Jun-16 06:20:44

"If a person is a show-off, it is only because she or he feels inferior because she or he does not feel strong enough to compete with others on the useful side of life. That is why she or he stays on the useless side. She or he is not in harmony with society. It seems to be a trait of human nature that when individuals – both children and adults – feel weak, they want to solve the problems of life in such a way as to obtain personal superiority without any admixture of social interest." Alfred Adler

Showing off intelligence and putting others down tells you a lot.

CaptainBrickbeard Thu 30-Jun-16 06:38:32

Professor, who is working towards leaving exactly? Because if you hadn't noticed, no one has a plan of any kind and there is no leadership at the helm.

Also, yes, as a Remainer I believe that a Leave vote was wrong. Do you not think the Remain side is wrong and that Leave is right? It was a binary choice, we all decided which was wrong and which was right. I might not be so completely convinced that you are wrong if it hadn't immediately transpired that the Leave campaign was entirely based on lies, if the leaders of the Leave campaign appeared to have any appetite to actually leave rather than looking like the dog who caught the cart and now has no idea what to do with it) and if anyone has actually come up with a leaving plan.

Sorry, but you are on the same side as bigots and racists. I appreciate that you don't like it but the people who hold such abhorrent views voted the same way that you did. Calling Remainers bigots really doesn't detract from the fact that the most contemptible, abhorrent people in society are on your team and they are the real bigots.

Leavers are accusing Remainers of whining and complaining but whilst I've seen plenty of positive action on the Remain side with regards to finding ways out of this disastrous Brexit, all I've seen the Leavers do is flounder, panic and complain relentlessly about the Remainers. Why aren't you planning your glorious future? Why aren't you makin Britain great again? Why do the people who led your campaign not look a little more celebratory? Why are you all asking us to help you come up with ideas about what to do next? It looks to me like you're all distracting yourselves from the fact that you made the wrong choice by trying to accuse Remainers of being bigots, being undemocratic or whatever else so that you can ignore the reality of what is actually happening. Remainers aren't the problem here.

markingthebench Thu 30-Jun-16 07:13:14

YourPerception, if that was aimed at me, I'm sorry and I don't think I put things very well. Please understand that I live in a neighbourhood where many people have no qualifications at all, and not a great experience of school, and many are on benefits (like me).

I don't think I'm bigoted or intolerant to other views. It's just that I'm a bit upset about this really important decision being taken on the basis that many people think the eu is just about not allowing us to sell bent bananas. They have believed the headlines in the daily mail, and not even considered the possibility that not everything in print is true. It's sad, really it is, because they (and I) will probably be the ones worst hit by the coming recession.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now