The Remain camp's vile apocalyptic narrative

(347 Posts)
mamamea Wed 29-Jun-16 19:07:42

A lot of Remainers seem to believe that 52% of the country are evil racists. Minor racist incidents are being made into front page news.

Some people seem to think that racism was invented last Thursday. Confirmation bias is a powerful thing - the media always have a story to push, and they will seize on any incident that fits that, while rejecting those that don't.

The police have come out and said that the media and the ludicrous Remainers who are determined that our country has turned into a post-apocalyptic hellhole in the space of 24 hours, are talking bollocks, frankly. Facts, however, are not all that important, when there is a 'our country is going to become a hellhole in the space of a few months' narrative to push because people have not got their way.

Remain insist that we are going bust, or perhaps have gone bust already. Everything that will happen in the future, on any subject, is going to be terrible - we will be gassed due to hitherto EU-inhibited pollution, we will lose all our employment rights and become slaves, The Troubles will restart in Northern Ireland, and so the narrative goes on and on and on, with any p.

I have never seen such an absurd response to ANY event in Britain, but for me it absolutely confirms what I have long since suspected about the so-called liberal left - that they are anything but liberal, they only accept THEIR viewpoint, and anything other than this will be ruthlessly slandered and derided. Similar responses are typically seen when the Conservative party wins an election - but this surpasses anything seen after 2010 or 2015. The Remain camp are organising demonstrations which they, absurdly, claim are supposed to demonstrate togetherness, but have names like 'Manchester stays' (which clearly demonstrate that they are intended to exclude the 52% of the population that wants to Leave, and indeed could be interpreted as an ultimatum).

No-one from the Reman side seems interested in genuinely working together to write a positive 'Leave' story for the future (nobody's saying, for instance, 'let's emulate Norway', they instead if they do reference Norway, it's to further deprecate the Leavers by saying how stupid it would be to Leave only to go with the Norwegian model, which is just the same (except of course it can't be because they are determined that Leave is a highway to hell, so they must hold the contrary position of insisting that Leave position x is not worth the trouble, while Leave position y is evil)). They prefer instead engage in nihilistic rhetoric about racism and economic doom, and fling insults at those involved with Leave. (Leave leader X is posh, Leave leader Y went to private school, Leave voters are stupid, inbred and racist, so old they aren't entitled to an opinion and should probably be subject to compulsory euthanasia, and so on and on and on)

It's astonishing that the 48% are trying to divide and insult the 52%, and to insist that we are doomed. Do people really think this is a way to deal with people with different opinions? I know it has been tried in the past - clearly quite a lot of people object, for instance, to mass immigration from Eastern Europe (for which public consent would not have been given, hence it was never sought), and the rhetoric is always much the same - "oh look, this person who objects is a racist, game over 'we win'". This 'you are a racist' device has been successfully employed for years, but it turns out, in reality, that it never convinced - the majority of the country, when directly asked, said 'No' to the EU and to globalism. Yet apparently the Remain camp still wants to continue with this tactic, even though it has clearly failed. No need to engage with people's concerns, when you can just pull a Gordon Brown and say 'bigoted woman', and move swiftly onward.

What planet are Remain living on, when their narrative is rejected by the biggest popular mandate in living memory, and yet they still think it will pay off to push it, but now with an added side of 'how very dare you, you racist inbred half-wit'? Clearly this totalitarian illiberal liberalism is a very powerful force in Western society, but we have rejected it by a clear majority, despite Remain employing every slander it could think of prior to the referendum (if you vote Leave, you are complicit in murder, and all the rest).

How long will this go on? For how long can Remain continue to deny reality, that they are on the wrong side of history? Will they try to add 'an uneducated Leave voter is only worth 3/5 of a degree-educated Remain voter' to their existing 'a 70 year old Leave voter is only worth 1/3 of a 20-year-old Remain voter' arsenal of denial?

Thelastusername Wed 29-Jun-16 19:15:00

Here here!

Sierra259 Wed 29-Jun-16 19:16:27

biscuit

I find it amusing that you're lumping "Remainers" together like you're accusing them of doing to Leave voters. How is your diatribe above slagging them all off, any different to what you are complaining about from them?

And hasn't this been covered eleventy million times already on numerous other threads?

Inyournightdress Wed 29-Jun-16 19:17:02

I really think lumping people into 'camps' is counterproductive in uniting the two sides.

user1466690252 Wed 29-Jun-16 19:18:40

www.facebook.com/Nohatehere-539596489498806/ have a look at this. Not everyone does thanks 👍

situatedknowledge Wed 29-Jun-16 19:19:00

biscuit odfod

Houseconfusion Wed 29-Jun-16 19:19:00

minor racist incidents huh?

You lost me at minor.

biscuit

Helmetbymidnight Wed 29-Jun-16 19:19:03

Take back control op grin

YourPerception Wed 29-Jun-16 19:21:25

Plenty of remain voters were right wing.

Inyournightdress Wed 29-Jun-16 19:21:37

Also that woman who Gordon brown called bigoted WAS bigoted. She was literally asking where all the damn brown people had come from.

mollie123 Wed 29-Jun-16 19:21:47

OP I quite agree - but <<whisper>> mumsnet london right-on elite will not sad

OutwardBound2016 Wed 29-Jun-16 19:22:14

I'm living on a plant where I made an informed, balanced decision based on factual, impartial information. I would assume that everyone did therefore your post is insulting.

Muskateersmummy Wed 29-Jun-16 19:22:19

I agree with sierra and nightdress. this sort of post is just as bad as the ones from some remainers. We really need to stop the us and them camps. The vote is done. Remainers aren't happy, that's to be expected. But division is not necessary. And placing all the blame on the remain camp is unnecessary and unhelpful. Maybe we all need to focus on moving forward not on making posts like these. Maybe leave could understand remains feelings and remain could attempt to focus on moving forward and we will all get out of this mess.

Bearbehind Wed 29-Jun-16 19:23:40

How long will this go on?

It will go on as long as Leave have no idea what the plan is.

Whilst I'm sure you feel better for getting that off your chest, you completely failed to grasp the fact Remain supporters are pissed off with the fact there's no plan and all the noises indicate very little will change if/ when we do exit so what was the fucking point?

We can't negotiate before invoking article 50 and then, as we'd be on a time limit, we are negotiating with our arms and legs tied together. The EU have stated we can't have freedom of trade without freedom of movement.

Can you really not see why nearly half the voting population might be a tiny bit peeved?

Showmethewaytogohome Wed 29-Jun-16 19:24:08

OP Question - why has the government today set up this:

www.politicshome.com/news/uk/home-affairs/policing/news/76743/government-unveils-new-action-plan-stamp-out-hate-crime

Or it all a conspiracy by some camp called remain. Stop your dividing to rule

Headofthehive55 Wed 29-Jun-16 19:24:39

Interested in what you want me to do in an attempt to unite.

Should I stop pointing out the ridiculous flaw in their argument when they voted leave? Two reasons today, one didn't like Cameron, one wanted to go back to pre decimal currency.

Should I cheerfully dismiss the lack of leadership? Perhaps you'd like me to stay silent on the Norway model, I.e. Accept free movement of people, pay money yet have no say? The only thing I've lost is the ability to have a say?

Headofthehive55 Wed 29-Jun-16 19:25:30

It's the emperors new clothes and you want me to stay quiet?

RainIsAGoodThing Wed 29-Jun-16 19:25:30

Our vile narrative of fear. Or as its now known, the news.

Wickedwitchofsouthwest Wed 29-Jun-16 19:25:45

Totally agree I've seen a completely different side to people who I really respected before.
Personally I'm very excited for the future, hopefully we get someone with the guts to not take any more shit off the EU.

AnotherOddSock Wed 29-Jun-16 19:26:27

Well said OP. Thank you for this thread.

mamamea Wed 29-Jun-16 19:27:24

"www.facebook.com/Nohatehere-539596489498806/ have a look at this. Not everyone does thanks 👍"

Isn't that doing just what I said?

That page:

"We are all horrified at the increase in hate crimes "

Except, the police have said there is no increase in hate crimes, what there is is an increase in reports via a specific online reporting tool, which is being massively publicised amid a media (social and otherwise) which is determined that racism is taking over.

And the implication of course is that the 52% have caused this increase in hate crimes.

How vile is that? A majority made a reasonable choice in a free and democratic election, and now they are being told they are responsible for hate crimes? ('Hate crime' is of course an extremely emotive phrase.) How dare they respond in this way to people coming out in unprecedented (for a referendum) numbers to vote! 'You voted the wrong way, now you are responsible for hate crimes. Don't you DARE vote wrong again, you evil, evil bigot.'

Thefuturecouldbebright Wed 29-Jun-16 19:27:49

Although I strongly disagree that any racist incident should ever be categorised as minor. I do agree overall with your point. Maybe I was blissfully naive, but I was genuinely shocked and upset as a leave voter to find that people thought that of me and 17 mil others. As race and immigration in no way factored into my vote. Not even a smidge.
It has been a sad eye opener for me as to the hidden divisions that lie beneath.

The Ageism has been staggering and embarrassing too.

dragonsarebest Wed 29-Jun-16 19:28:07

Highly divisive post, OP, well done. Take the control back.

HopeArden Wed 29-Jun-16 19:28:44

Agreed OP. But you are bashing your head against a brick wall in trying to get the MN majority to see it. The scare mongering is a deliberate tactic to get people to change their minds.
Irl things are carrying on pretty much as normal - haven't noticed the sky falling in or anything!

Showmethewaytogohome Wed 29-Jun-16 19:29:24

BTW Haven't heard any so called 'remain' camp starting violent campaigns have you?

And...before you start..and I hope you actually read this bit...it's not 'leavers' either. It is the far right and racists who are using the vitriol from the referendum to justify their actions and fuel their hatred. There is no 'us' and' them' apart from, as far as I am concerned, against the Far Right

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now