Talk

Advanced search

Gove didn't even stay awake for the result and his wife said You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off'

(41 Posts)
Bearbehind Wed 29-Jun-16 08:54:34

Daily mail link as that is who she writes for but this is further proof - straight from the horses mouth that Leave never thought they'd win and have no clue what to do now.

It's horrifying that they have played with people's lives like this.

MoggyP Wed 29-Jun-16 08:57:09

They didn't play with lives.

They were at the helm of the option that most people who voted actually wanted.

Trying to turn this into a series of vignettes about individuals completely misses the point.

gettingtogreat Wed 29-Jun-16 09:00:19

Corbin didn't stay awake either. He was in bed with his phone switched off, and even his team couldn't get hold of him.

What's your point? We all need sleep and Friday was always going to be an incredibly hectic day for all concerned - they needed rest!

Bearbehind Wed 29-Jun-16 09:04:16

Have you read the article?

They never actually planned to win, they just wanted to shake things up a bit but now we all have to live with the consequences of no one having any idea what Brexit will actually look like.

Gove clearly needed his beauty sleep in preparation for all the hard work he'd be doing after Friday in leading the troops forward.......oh, hang on......hmm

PigletWasPoohsFriend Wed 29-Jun-16 09:09:37

He wasn't the only one.

Corbyn went to bed at 11pm apparently and people couldn't get hold of him at 6am.

OurBlanche Wed 29-Jun-16 09:12:59

Mmmm! That is a great way of distancing your DH from his actions / ruining his career / starting divorce proceedings / furthering your own career at any costs / a cynical journalsist who loves the sound of her own voice *

*delete as applicable!

Figmentofmyimagination Wed 29-Jun-16 09:15:54

I wish there was some way they could be brought to account personally.

Figmentofmyimagination Wed 29-Jun-16 09:17:23

Have you seen the funny hitler video that is circulating on here? It's the only thing that's made me laugh since Thursday.

Bearbehind Thu 30-Jun-16 18:17:37

This article is all the more shock in light of today's events.

SugarPlumTree Thu 30-Jun-16 18:26:18

It's all part of today, it set the scene nicely trying to portray Gove as a man who truly believes in Europe, struggling with the weight of 17 million votes on his shoulder who then reluctantly comes forward to stand for PM when shocked at Cameron's 'surprise' resignation - a role he has always said he wasn't qualified as he realised Boris couldn't be trusted so he has stepped forward because of his principles and not to let the leavers down.

That article was part 1 and the leaked email was part 2.

Bearbehind Thu 30-Jun-16 18:33:21

I didn't read it as trying to portray Gove as a man who truly believes in Europe.

‘You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off,’ I said, in my best (i.e. not very good) Michael Caine Italian Job accent. In other words, you’ve really torn it now.

Sounds more to me like he was only representing Leave for his own gain and they were shitting themselves that it had come to pass.

SugarPlumTree Thu 30-Jun-16 18:39:54

You may be right but I read it as trying to portray him as a man campaigning for something he believed in but not intending to be the man who implemented the change ie. fitting the no desire for power story, the reluctant player in this.

Figmentofmyimagination Thu 30-Jun-16 18:40:44

I'm re posting in case you haven't seen as it is so funny -

www.trend247.net/yt/United%20Kingdom/-a6HNXtdvVQ/Boris-Johnson-s-HQ-as-the-EU-referendum-result-comes-in

SugarPlumTree Thu 30-Jun-16 18:41:03

You are supposed to think they were shitting themselves, i'm sure they weren't really. There was much discussion of Cameron going if he lost.

smallfox1980 Thu 30-Jun-16 18:48:18

Gove is Francis Urquhart.

Or that is how he has played it, only stepping in for the good of the party.

He has been eurosceptic for years though.

Pangurban1 Thu 30-Jun-16 18:59:26

Sayeeda Warsi didn't wait to put the boot in.

"I am quite surprised [by his announcement]. I never really thought it [the referendum campaign] was about Michael’s political ambitions.

I am also surprised at what he said. He talks about healing and speaking for all and bringing the country together.

From my experience of Michael and his approach towards teachers, the legal profession, ethnic minorities, that is not the Michael Gove I see."

Figmentofmyimagination Thu 30-Jun-16 19:04:10

I hope the march on Saturday will have a strong anti gove focus. A sea of people chanting something snappy about how horrendous and divisive he is would be good.

noeuf Thu 30-Jun-16 19:11:15

That's such a crap article my brain hurts. It's so badly written and boring.
Why explain what the Michael Caine quite means?
And why does she say he - we - are now responsible - she's not a politician.
What a pile of shite. That email was a twatty fix as well.

Tanaqui Thu 30-Jun-16 19:18:47

What was the film used in that clip? I've gone totally blank!

ErrolTheDragon Thu 30-Jun-16 19:20:07

Surely the tory MPs will now realise what a totally untrustworthy piece of work he is now, and shun him? That speech - about how they need a good 'team captain'.... (sorry for shouting but) YOU ARE NOT A SCHOOLBOY. THIS IS NOT A GAME.

ErrolTheDragon Thu 30-Jun-16 19:21:41

Sorry, I mis-spoke - he's not totally untrustworthy. The various times he's said he's not the right person to lead - yes, we can trust that 100%

flippinada Thu 30-Jun-16 20:06:38

It's like some sort of appalling black comedy, isn't it? These people are now vying to run the country. With the appalling Rupert Murdoch pulling strings in the background.

Someone bought me a book by Sarah Vine once - it's the only book I've ever wanted to burn (I didn't, and I haven't. But I have thought about it).

BrexitentialCrisis Thu 30-Jun-16 20:18:24

I read this article before all this twattery today and I thought it was so weird. I cannot believe that Gove literally just tucked himself up in his bed and that his scheming wife just pottered downstairs to make the tea the following morning.
There's a bollocky sentence about having had people over the night before who had just stayed after the goves had gone to bed- is it just me or is it weird to stay at a party once the hosts have gone to bed?
The whole thing is a crock of shite.

noeuf Thu 30-Jun-16 20:53:53

Of course it's crap. Bollocks he wasn't glued to the screens, phone heating up against one ear, scribbling on the back of an envelope.

smallfox1980 Thu 30-Jun-16 21:00:30

It might be true.

The "party" was likely to be other leave campaigners who would stay up all night for them.

Gove would need to be fresh the next day and for the coming days, so I imagine he did go to bed.

Although now the scheming of his wife has been publically revealed do you think he can legitimately be PM or will people ask him for his wife's opinion?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now