this whole brexit is racist narrative...

(15 Posts)
fryingtoday Tue 28-Jun-16 16:50:22

This country had the opportunity to vote in a racist manner at the last general election. It didn't. UKIP has one MP only. In Scotland they had SNP to vote with as a protest. The rest of the country had no-one but UKIP which they ignored. So the referendum freed them to give the roar of protest that has been building for a generation. So sad now that the media fails to point out that UKIP did not succeed and to now magnify the tiny racist minority. They have not been legitimised by this vote - they can only be legitimised if we allow the lie that all outers voted for racist reasons.

cheeseandmarmite15 Wed 29-Jun-16 11:40:49

Everyone I know who voted to leave (including) myself did not do so because of immigration. Unfortunately, on Mumsnet which has a predominant labour support amongst it's posters and moderation/admin, anyone who voted leave is deemed a racist!

Naturally, the media are only going to report bad things so any reported case of fascism experienced by the public at this time is going to be published. No on should be subjected to any form of racist abuse but I believe that feelings have been running high and things will settle down.

SitsOnFence Wed 29-Jun-16 13:11:27

I agree.

Both campaigns over-played the immigration card, and some of the sentiments coming out of the Remain campaign were particularly harsh in implying that anyone voting Leave harboured racist tendencies.

Extremist right-wing groups have always, thank God, been a minority in this country, so you can imagine how encouraged and emboldened they were to hear the “all Leave voters are racist” message, followed shortly by 52% of the voting electorate voting to Leave. It tells them they are no longer a minority.

I voted to Remain, but the discussions I have had in RL with Leave voters have been around sovereignty, TTIP, fear of greater European integration/’super state’, anger over not being consulted over the Maastricht Treaty and feeling that we were missing out on trade deals with emerging economies. I suspect that 'sticking a finger up to the government' and anti globalisation/anti capitalist sentiments are also a factor. I don’t necessarily agree with any of these, and I do mourn the weakening of the most successful peace project Europe has ever seen BUT I simply do not believe that 52% of the voting public are racist.

Grassgreendashhabi Wed 29-Jun-16 13:15:41

Sorry but UKIP got 12% of the votes in last election but because of the way our parliamentary seating is done it got one seat

UKIP had more votes than LD greens and SNP

Grassgreendashhabi Wed 29-Jun-16 13:20:56

Con
36.9%
Lab
30.4%
SNP
4.7%
LD
7.9%
DUP
0.6%
SF
0.6%
PC
0.6%
SDLP
0.3%
UUP
0.4%
UKIP
12.6%
Green

BreakingDad77 Wed 29-Jun-16 13:22:58

Mumsnet which has a predominant labour support amongst it's posters

lol thanks for the giggle...

No one made the effort to bring clarity to what immigration and taking control means. 90% of the leavers I know in family if are honest its all about immigration, they haven't a clue about what EU actually does and doesn't do and effects there lives, just some vague feeling they are telling us what to do, they just see pressures on local services, and fears of the muslim/ turkey invasion thats going to destroy the NHS. 1 or 2 will actually go on about corruption and businesses moving to Europe but think they will get free trade / no free movement.

Theres a NHS post with all these medical staff from across Europe and Leavers tying themselves up in knots. I mean what next? getting anyone foreign to wear a job-badge so we know which are the ok ones!!

Blue4ever Wed 29-Jun-16 13:25:34

I do not agree at all. Plenty of people I know have voted to leave because of the Euro becoming more and more of a federal state, or a super state, as opposed to a free trade agreement.

I do think the far right is appropriating the result which is completely unfair to people who voted exit for well thought through reasons that are not anti-immigrants.

I just want our PM to stand up, grow a bleeding spine, and say publicly that Farage is a tw(insert letter of your choice)t.

Blue4ever Wed 29-Jun-16 13:26:18

I voted in by the way...

user1467101855 Wed 29-Jun-16 16:41:42

This country had the opportunity to vote in a racist manner at the last general election. It didn't

I must have missed it, which side campaigned with an obviously racist platform?

noblegiraffe Wed 29-Jun-16 17:35:09

I thought the whole point of offering the referendum was to get UKIP voters to vote Tory instead. And the Tories did unexpectedly well.

Hamishandthefoxes Wed 29-Jun-16 17:52:59

UKIP campaigned with a racist platform last election and won 12% of the vote.

SitsOnFence Wed 29-Jun-16 17:57:49

Actually noblegiraffe makes a good point.

However, I still refuse to believe that 52% of the voting electorate are racist though and am clinging to the possibly over optimistic hope that the awful behaviour and attacks we are currently seeing will quickly die down as the rest of the country fails to join in.

Grassgreendashhabi Wed 29-Jun-16 18:32:09

The attacks and out bursts will die down.

They do not reflect the majority of the population including the Leave voters

fryingtoday Wed 29-Jun-16 20:24:23

12per cent (UKIP) does not equal 52 per cent leave

Grassgreendashhabi Wed 29-Jun-16 20:40:43

I was pointing out your flawed opening statement regarding nobody voted for UKIP because they only got one seat.

Nothing to do with 52%

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now