Talk

Advanced search

Given the lies by the leave campaign, can't they just make the referendum void?

(10 Posts)
MardyBra Tue 28-Jun-16 15:17:08

Sorry if there's a thread on this already - I did have a quick look.

Maybe this is a bit simplistic but it just seems to me that if the Leave campaign can make up shit like £350m a week extra to the NHS, and then try and eradicate it, then it's basically cheating, and they should be disqualified from the vote.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36641390

wowfudge Tue 28-Jun-16 15:19:27

No need to void it, but it is advisory only so no reason not to ignore it.

WaitroseTrolley Tue 28-Jun-16 16:00:28

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-loophole-eu-referendum-mps-law-legal-legislation-constitution-a7105181.html

MPs still need to repeal the European Communities Act, it says here, which might not happen until November. Technically the referendum isn't legally binding.

WannaBe Tue 28-Jun-16 16:03:10

Politicians have always lied though and voters have always fallen for the lies.

No-one leading the leave campaign was in a position to make promises, so if people actually fell for it they have no-one to blame but themselves.

Should we void every election when a party doesn't follow through on manifesto pledges?

Corcory Tue 28-Jun-16 16:05:09

Don't remember ever seeing that £350m was to go to the NHS. So what about the lies told by DC and GO - emergency budget, pensioners pensions cut, world war 3!!

MaliceInWonderland78 Tue 28-Jun-16 16:06:55

I would hope that even those that wished to remain would see that ANY device used to circumvent the result of this referendum would be far more damaging to this country than a vote to leave.

To think otherwise would, in my opinion, be anti-democratic.

WaitroseTrolley Tue 28-Jun-16 16:06:57

You have a point wannabe, it's just I don't think a good chunk of pledges have turned out to be false within hours/days of winning before.

Kennington Tue 28-Jun-16 16:09:55

I think anyone wanting to exit would change there mind if the 350 million was in fact 20 million.
As for the other lies they were roundly disproved long before the referendum.
Much as I dislike the result I think voiding it would be a huge mistake.
It was a clear result and I don't think voiding it would be a good thing for democracy - an imperfect system, but nevertheless, the best one we have got.

Kennington Tue 28-Jun-16 16:10:30

Wouldn't changed their mind if t was 20 million.rather makes my post unreadable!

MardyBra Tue 28-Jun-16 23:33:27

"You have a point wannabe, it's just I don't think a good chunk of pledges have turned out to be false within hours/days of winning before."

^^This.

And also in a general election if a party doesn't put its promises into practice over the term of office they can be voted out. This is a once in a generation vote with massive consequences, which has been won on absolute lies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now