Talk

Advanced search

Should Brexit be accelerating my relocation to Dublin?

(7 Posts)
Snafflebrain Tue 28-Jun-16 12:18:35

So a move to Dublin was on the cards anyway but the rough plan was to move in 3 years when DC would be 6 & 7 when financially we could afford to live more centrally and maybe cover school fees if needed.

Theoretically we could move this forward and start the move in a few months. Should Brexit be factored into our plan and should I consider moving us sooner rather than later? I know its impossible to have a crystal ball on these things but I dont want to be making a gigantic mistake where I'm missing the obvious.

Our house is currently in an area that is selling ok and my DP can get a job before we move there, whilst I would hopefully get a job once there. The original plan would be for him to go first and I would then follow with the DC. Either renting our current house out short term (1 year) or I would sort out the sale whilst still in the UK.

We are on average salaries and whilst we have costed for the expensive cost of living once we move, we could be priced out if our house in the East Midlands were to drop significantly whilst the house prices in Dublin were still rising. The other advantage to going now is my DC would be joining the Irish school system at almost the start so less upheaval for them too. But we have less funds if we go now.

Jeanniejampots80 Tue 28-Jun-16 12:54:09

It depends, rents here are nuts, never mind house prices. What part of Dublin? Where would your jobs be? Are your kids Catholic could they get into some of the excellent free schools or will you have to go private? It hugely depends on many factors to be honest.

Snafflebrain Tue 28-Jun-16 14:14:01

DP needs to be vaguely near a hospital large enough for an A&E dept so that was our only solid location criteria other then schooling. I have generic business project and hr job history. But I studied computer science so would ideally like something non techy in maybe an IT company. I'm unlikely to work shifts so don't mind a commute. The DC aren't catholic so we'd be looking at private or Educate Together - but I understand there's high pressure on places on the city itself? I have family in Rathmines and Skerries but not keen to live on their doorstep.

The move was supposed to be a positive thing we were looking forward to in the future and now I feel totally stressed about the whole thing already.

Jeanniejampots80 Tue 28-Jun-16 14:19:43

Well north side is cheaper than south and has some lovely spots. All expensive obv unfortunately. Beaumont and the Mater are the two main north side tertiary hospitals with large A&E but there are loads more on South, East and West. Educate together is probably out to be honest those schools are more "put your name down from the delivery room" schools although a few more are being built.

Snafflebrain Tue 28-Jun-16 14:26:46

Thanks Jeannie that's useful to know on the schooling front, I think I'm going to have to factor in school fees then. Do they have to provide some kind of state school places for all children? We wouldn't get a look in with any school with religious entry criteria so I think means we might have no choice but to stick with the original 3 year plan and hope currencies/house prices don't do anything crazy in the meantime!

Jeanniejampots80 Tue 28-Jun-16 14:35:15

Have never heard of a kid not getting a place just maybe not the one they want. Most schools here are of a very similar standard to be honest. The catholic thing is not a necessity and there are other religious denomination schools too it just bumps you up the list but living within the catchment area is usually another top one too

PastoralCare Tue 28-Jun-16 15:30:38

There wont be a brexit, but in the meantime, turmoil and investor fears might negatively affect house prices.

So I would say, if you can sell in a week or so at a price that is acceptable for you then do so. At least you will have certainty.

The problem is the medium term while everyone tries to find a way to prevent brexit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now