EU to force nations to use the Euro

(13 Posts)
BritBrit Tue 28-Jun-16 10:08:35

German media report that the EU will announce all nations must use the Euro to complete a full monetary union

Could this impact the Scottish 2nd Independence vote debate? Will it encourage others eurosceptic nations not in the Euro e.g. Denmark to leave the EU

www.express.co.uk/news/world/683883/EU-plans-members-adopt-euro-revealed-DAYS-Brexit-Britain

Lottielo Tue 28-Jun-16 11:51:53

I have read that Scotland would be forced to have the Euro if they were to become an independent nation and apply for EU membership. If this Scotland can't arrange any sort of deal with the EU, this could be a deal breaker for them.

Fontella Tue 28-Jun-16 11:54:54

This has always been on the cards as far as I'm aware.

mollie123 Tue 28-Jun-16 12:01:48

and so it begins - hopefully this will convince more people that 'remain' success would not necessarily have meant the status quo - the EU was constantly changing and becoming an unmanageable (except by dictatorship) behemoth shock

Luckymummy22 Tue 28-Jun-16 12:06:13

I think the prospect of entering the Euro instead of being shackled to England & Wales is rat her appealing at the moment.

UK is done. The people who wanted Britain to be Great again & who wanted their country back are the ones who'be destroyed it.

Remenbe Scotland chose to stay in the UK.

Its the English who'be destroyed the UK.

Lweji Tue 28-Jun-16 12:10:47

I don't really know if that makes sense. Would current Euro nations be happy for less stable economies to join in? Would they be forced to adjust their economies to join the Euro?

PigletWasPoohsFriend Tue 28-Jun-16 12:13:48

Not sure about existing members but from what I can gather having the Euro is a condition of new countries joining.

If Scotland went independent and wanted to apply to EU. They have to have the Euro.

smallfox1980 Tue 28-Jun-16 12:16:06

Ahhh another BritBrit link to the Express, yawn, yesterday it was for an EU army and taxes which when you loooked at the document proved unfounded.

TheNewStatesman Tue 28-Jun-16 12:20:31

My understanding is that if a nation joins the EU they have to say that they will eventually use the Euro, but it is up to them to decide when to actually start doing it. They could decide to never start using it. The EU could not actually force them.

BessieBraddocksEgg Tue 28-Jun-16 12:22:14

Hardly, Lucky.

If the Scottish people choose independence they need to do it for themselves and not as a reaction to " the English".

Get it. Own it.

Luckymummy22 Tue 28-Jun-16 12:54:16

Bessie it's moved on from that. Scotland now needs to decide what is best for them.

If that's staying in the EU & the Euro then fair enough.

If that would be many years down the line then it may be the best option to stay in the UK.

But a horrendously stupI'd decision has been made with devastating consequences to people quality of lif

It's all about self preservation now.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Tue 28-Jun-16 13:02:51

The EU could not actually force them.

Not sure about that. Existing members yes you can't force it.

If it is a condition of joining now that you have it then you know what you are signing up to.

lljkk Tue 28-Jun-16 13:38:59

The article is rumour scare mongering. It's reporting what a single German newspaper said about "plans", is replete with "could be" "believed to be" statements.

Denmark is nearly as Euroskeptic as UK, very attached to own currency & would refuse, why provoke a DREXIT? Sweden will also refuse, etc. As if Euro didn't have enough problems without taking on Romania & Bulgaria weakness, too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now