Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Brexiters! Over here please...

(120 Posts)
MotherOfBleach Mon 27-Jun-16 19:32:11

Us Remainers have questions.

We've been searching high and low for answers but can't find any.

1) What's the plan? There's a plan right? We've just made momumental, life changing decision, of course there's a plan. You just wanted to surprise us with it, right? We're surprised, you can tell us now.

2) Long term gain. All of this turmoil is for long term gain. The £ dropping of a cliff, markets crashing, job losses, racism and xenophobia, they're all worth it for the long term gains we can look forward to. That's what we keep hearing. But what are these long term gains? Because if it's wonky bananas they'd better gold plated, diamond encrusted wonky bananas or we're all gonna be really cross.

SayWhat123 Mon 27-Jun-16 19:37:53

The reporting outside the UK is that now is the time to travel and spend money in GB and polls show that more now than in the last two decades, travelers are planning trips to the UK.

The UK will gain a LOT of money from vacationers soon. This doesn't answer your questions directly, but it is a positive gain for the UK.

MotherOfBleach Mon 27-Jun-16 19:39:39

Yes, that's because the value of the £ is free falling. I'm not sure that's a positive thing.

I mean we all went Greece when their currency started to go kaput and look where they are now.

Brokenbiscuit Mon 27-Jun-16 19:40:41

The UK will gain a LOT of money from vacationers soon.

Let's just hope they're not put off by the surge in hate crime, eh?

SayWhat123 Mon 27-Jun-16 19:43:31

Greece is not the UK and are not in any way comparable and never have been. That's good news. A lower currency is a necessity for a country which plans to re-industrialize and export at a higher rate, which is what the UK will do.

But regardless, the pound is still the highest currency in the world and a temporary drop will not effect the long term. I think it's best to stay calm and while the pound is temporarily down, enjoy the perks and benefits that can bring. Having a super high currency is not always a benefit.

fakenamefornow Mon 27-Jun-16 19:44:46

350 million quid a week! That's the gain! Don't think it'll make up for the tax increases and benefits cut we'll suffer though. Oh, and we're not even getting the 350 million quid anyway.

SayWhat123 Mon 27-Jun-16 19:45:14

It's mostly tourists from the US, Australia and Canada so I doubt anyone will be put off by 'hate crimes'. Tourism will skyrocket in the next 2 years.

BertrandRussell Mon 27-Jun-16 19:48:39

Why will tourism skyrocket?

MotherOfBleach Mon 27-Jun-16 19:50:53

Holidays here will be cheaper because of the lower £ to $ rate, Bertrand.

It means people are betting on the £ staying down. Which we are supposed to think is a good thing.

SayWhat123 Mon 27-Jun-16 19:54:12

It has to do with the GBP being down, but also airline stocks are down and it's the perfect time to buy cheaper airline tickets which are almost always out of reach for the average American or Australian family to travel to the UK. Airlines are now already beginning to cut prices and compete with each other for travel.

Lovewhereilive Mon 27-Jun-16 20:00:26

I've got a good plan. Anyone who voted leave should be the first to go when the job losses kick in. They caused this mess so they should be the ones to suffer the consequences of the ridiculous DIY recession they have created.

BertrandRussell Mon 27-Jun-16 20:02:31

Oh right. I thought I was missing something. I didn't think anyone would think a permanently plummeting pound would be a good thing.

MotherOfBleach Mon 27-Jun-16 20:05:08

Nor me, Bertarnd.

If a burst of tourism was the plan, couldn't we have just built a new fucking castle or something? The americans love castles.

SayWhat123 Mon 27-Jun-16 20:08:35

Americans have plenty of new castles - it's your old ones which are of interest.

Just for the record, I don't think that was the plan at all, just an overall benefit.

MyMacMess Mon 27-Jun-16 20:10:04

"It's mostly tourists from the US, Australia and Canada so I doubt anyone will be put off by 'hate crimes'. Tourism will skyrocket in the next 2 years."

Oh, how lovely! English speaking visitors, we can handle those type of foreigners not that I believe a word of this nonsensical projection

Saywhat here biscuit I won't waste any brain capacity to try and write something more eloquent rude.

MotherOfBleach Mon 27-Jun-16 20:10:08

Yes, more tourism is a good thing if it wasn't a side effect of the economy going up in smoke.

SayWhat123 Mon 27-Jun-16 20:11:41

I think it's very early to think the economy will 'go up in smoke'. The UK can negotiate a new free trade arrangement, along the lines of the status enjoyed by Switzerland and Norway.

Bookaboo Mon 27-Jun-16 20:11:55

OP, I think you forgot to ask for posters to provide evidence for point 2. smile

We've already lost more than 350 million pw in the value that has been knocked off stocks and through the increased borrowing costs as a result of our credit rating being reduced.

GhostofFrankGrimes Mon 27-Jun-16 20:12:46

The tourists can visit all those boarded up houses and shops that may be heading our way.

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHorrid Mon 27-Jun-16 20:14:11

We will have a massive recession so that will cut down on immigration.
hmm angry

MotherOfBleach Mon 27-Jun-16 20:14:13

Right, so now the "benefit" is that we abide by the rules of the EU, pay into the EU, access the single market, just like Norway, but have no say in any of it, just like Norway.# and don't recieve any funding back from them, just like Norway.

Brexit is looking better and better by the second. I don't know what I've been so worried about hmm

SayWhat123 Mon 27-Jun-16 20:17:34

Short term tourism boosts may be the effect which keeps those shops open, until things are sorted out. It's very early to assume a huge disaster, and the UK will remain strong overall in the long term.

You have the world's 5th biggest economy - do you think other countries will not want to jump at the chance to sign new trade deals with you which will benefit the UK exclusively and not be spread over 28 separate countries? It's a net gain of 20 Billion Pounds which is what the UK gives annually as a net loss to the EU. This is not including other factors which are also losses besides hard currency.

ARumWithAView Mon 27-Jun-16 20:18:25

Tourists visiting the UK because the pound is at rock bottom is not a good thing -- it's a fucking fire-sale.

Deciding that tourism is the next big hope is the last resort of a financially-fucked country with few other options. Tourism is fickle. It doesn't provide year-round employment or revenue. One urban terror attack or an elevated terror risk will leave hotels, gift shops and airports empty.

And I don't agree that flights to the UK are priced 'out of reach' to the average US family and that cheaper flights will bring them over. Vacation allowances are very small in the US, making a long-haul destination for a 7-day holiday much less attractive, especially as there's no shortage of domestic destinations.

Although, yes, maybe it's worth the jetlag if you can buy Stonehenge for $10. Yay! Come to England, where the locals will do anything for a bit of your solid currency.

TheSultanofPingu Mon 27-Jun-16 20:18:51

I've read many of these threads over the last few days. It's become very obvious that there is no plan whatsoever.
C'mon brexiters... we need a plan!

SayWhat123 Mon 27-Jun-16 20:19:34

I'm not sure what you have against Norway? And the UK will be out of the EU sooner than 2 years as the EU have already proposed 90 days - so no I do not think you will have to abide by EU rules while gaining an open world market.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now