Advanced search

Can this be true???- EU citizen trying to apply for a permanent residency certificate

(5 Posts)
Rikkitikkitemper Mon 27-Jun-16 14:20:09

I moved to the UK from another EU country over 10 years ago as a student. I've since married a Brit and have a British child.

I'm in the process of filling out a 'Application for a document certifying permanent residence or permanent residence card under the EEA Regulations'.

Unless I am mistaken (and please tell me I am) I will not be eligible for a certificate and consequently UK citizenship because I did not/do not have either private health insurance or a "European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) issued by an EEA member state other than the UK ".

Can this really be true????

Here is a link to the application form. Please see page 49.

Theonslostbits Mon 27-Jun-16 19:08:11

From the looks of the form as you have lived and worked here over five years, plus have family here you should be able to get citizenship.

TheOddity Mon 27-Jun-16 20:25:40

The ehic is free from your country, you just need to apply. Couldn't up you just get one if you require it?

allegretto Mon 27-Jun-16 20:29:04

Surely you had one as a student?

freetrampolineforall Mon 27-Jun-16 21:22:03

Sounds like a tedious bureaucratic hurdle but one that is easily if slowly overcome. Anyone in your country of origin who could help or your country of origin's embassy?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now