Talk

Advanced search

Never imagined favouring George Osborne as PM

(12 Posts)
Figmentofmyimagination Mon 27-Jun-16 09:32:17

Apparently, however, rules put in place by William Hague to stop pro European ken Clarke becoming pm mean that party activists have the final say between two candidates ie boris and one other - so once again, the swivel eyed Tory leavers will get their way - unless we all join the Tory party - to vote for the least pro brexit candidate, to secure some balance. I haven't researched the rules. Does anyone know? - maybe there is scope for doing a 'momentum'.

weirdsister Mon 27-Jun-16 09:40:11

Nothing can surprise me about our government now.
It's like one of those terribly British Richard Curtis movies, but without Hugh Grant.

A4Document Mon 27-Jun-16 10:30:47

Osborne's scaremongering has been disgraceful, and I think he should resign with immediate effect. He even hid from the public instead of standing up and saying he was wrong. He's trying to weasel his way back in even though he has lost any shred of credibility. The frantic backtracking is plain to see. There is no way he should be PM, or Foreign Secretary. I don't trust him for a minute to carry out decent negotiations without trying to twist things back to what he wanted.

MajesticSeaFlapFlap Mon 27-Jun-16 10:31:45

Can you imagine Osbourne, Putin and trump round a table

Terrifying

Figmentofmyimagination Mon 27-Jun-16 11:13:01

Don't get me wrong - I think he is vile - but given a choice between Osborne and Johnson, it has to be Osborne, surely.

I was serious about whether there is scope to join the Tory party to influence the choice - does anyone know the rules?

mouldycheesefan Mon 27-Jun-16 11:17:38

IKWYM.
But also think Teresa may is a reasonable option.

Figmentofmyimagination Mon 27-Jun-16 11:19:11

I agree - but again - there is a clear risk that the "activist" vote will go to Boris Johnson.

TheDowagerCuntess Mon 27-Jun-16 11:19:47

Fig, a die-hard Labour friend of ours has recently joined the Conservative party for just this reason.

He says he feels dirty, but it's worth it! Very easy to do, apparently.

Figmentofmyimagination Mon 27-Jun-16 11:22:32

"Very easy to do, apparently".

But do you get a vote?

TheDowagerCuntess Mon 27-Jun-16 11:22:38

Here's the nice welcome email he got.

lljkk Mon 27-Jun-16 13:22:03

I know how OP feels, sigh.

RortyCrankle Mon 27-Jun-16 16:14:35

He has zero chance of becoming PM. All you labour supporters wanting to join the Conservative Party - fantastic idea, the more the merrier. I know a few Tory voters who joined labour (very temporarily of course) to vote for Corbyn, effectively making labour unelectable.

Oh, members don't get a vote until the last round I believe, but don't let that put you off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now