Talk

Advanced search

EU government petition fraud is there any chance of a legal challenge?

(8 Posts)
YourPerception Sat 25-Jun-16 20:43:09

There have been suggestions of online petition fraud. Apparently people are happy to fraudulently sign a government petition on order to block democracy.

Is there a legal way of dealing with the people who are illegally signing the petition?

downright Sat 25-Jun-16 20:45:05

It's a fucking online petition.

I could scrawl 100,000 signatures on my arse for the same effect.

Get over it

YourPerception Sat 25-Jun-16 20:47:35

It is a potential issue as this particular petition is trying to block democracy.

downright Sat 25-Jun-16 20:50:51

Is there anything you personally can do?

Yes, get an early night.

TimeforaNNChange Sat 25-Jun-16 20:59:09

I don't think you can "illegally sign a petition".

If, as is the case in both local and national government level, a petition is accepted as a trigger for a specific action (such as a debate), then the entries are scrutinised to make a judgement on their validity. When I recently submitted a petition to my local Council, a number of entries were eliminated, because they were deemed to be invalid - missing addresses, or fictitious names, for instance.

Given that at best, this national petition will only trigger a debate in parliament, and is not binding in any way, it is unlikely that "democracy will be blocked". It's fair to say that there are probably more concerning democratic issues that are keeping people awake at night, right now.

STIDW Sat 25-Jun-16 21:12:51

Gov petitions are scrutinised for fraud. A counter petition to the ban Trump petition had over 30k "signatures" removed.

YourPerception Sat 25-Jun-16 21:14:52

Wow that is a lot. Thank you for the reassurance. Do you know when that information was released?

Mistigri Sat 25-Jun-16 22:37:50

How is the scrutiny done? Hopefully it is done electronically as with 2.5m signatures (and still rising rapidly) it would not be a good use of resources to do it manually!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now