Talk

Advanced search

Has Boris been outmanoeuvred?

(978 Posts)
CommanderShepard Sat 25-Jun-16 19:10:54

From a guardian comment:

If Boris Johnson looked downbeat yesterday, that is because he realises that he has lost.

Perhaps many Brexiters do not realise it yet, but they have actually lost, and it is all down to one man: David Cameron.

With one fell swoop yesterday at 9:15 am, Cameron effectively annulled the referendum result, and simultaneously destroyed the political careers of Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and leading Brexiters who cost him so much anguish, not to mention his premiership.

How?

Throughout the campaign, Cameron had repeatedly said that a vote for leave would lead to triggering Article 50 straight away. Whether implicitly or explicitly, the image was clear: he would be giving that notice under Article 50 the morning after a vote to leave. Whether that was scaremongering or not is a bit moot now but, in the midst of the sentimental nautical references of his speech yesterday, he quietly abandoned that position and handed the responsibility over to his successor.

And as the day wore on, the enormity of that step started to sink in: the markets, Sterling, Scotland, the Irish border, the Gibraltar border, the frontier at Calais, the need to continue compliance with all EU regulations for a free market, re-issuing passports, Brits abroad, EU citizens in Britain, the mountain of legistlation to be torn up and rewritten ... the list grew and grew.

The referendum result is not binding. It is advisory. Parliament is not bound to commit itself in that same direction.

The Conservative party election that Cameron triggered will now have one question looming over it: will you, if elected as party leader, trigger the notice under Article 50?

Who will want to have the responsibility of all those ramifications and consequences on his/her head and shoulders?

Boris Johnson knew this yesterday, when he emerged subdued from his home and was even more subdued at the press conference. He has been out-maneouvered and check-mated.

If he runs for leadership of the party, and then fails to follow through on triggering Article 50, then he is finished. If he does not run and effectively abandons the field, then he is finished. If he runs, wins and pulls the UK out of the EU, then it will all be over - Scotland will break away, there will be upheaval in Ireland, a recession ... broken trade agreements. Then he is also finished. Boris Johnson knows all of this. When he acts like the dumb blond it is just that: an act.

The Brexit leaders now have a result that they cannot use. For them, leadership of the Tory party has become a poison chalice.

When Boris Johnson said there was no need to trigger Article 50 straight away, what he really meant to say was "never". When Michael Gove went on and on about "informal negotiations" ... why? why not the formal ones straight away? ... he also meant not triggering the formal departure. They both know what a formal demarche would mean: an irreversible step that neither of them is prepared to take.

All that remains is for someone to have the guts to stand up and say that Brexit is unachievable in reality without an enormous amount of pain and destruction, that cannot be borne. And David Cameron has put the onus of making that statement on the heads of the people who led the Brexit campaign.

scaryteacher Sat 25-Jun-16 19:21:00

The Gibraltar border is a great big fat red herring. The Spanish have always played silly buggers with it because they can.

I think Article 50 will be invoked, just on a different timetable to the one DC envisaged. He gambled on this referendum, and he lost. He cost himself his Premiership by not looking further than the end of his nose.

I bet Sam Cam was actually looking tearful because she is relieved she can go back to normal life now. I had read that was why he was stepping down in 2020 as that was the time limit she put on it.

Wonder of DC will go and be the new EU Commissioner now that Lord Hill has resigned.

Pangurban1 Sat 25-Jun-16 19:25:36

He certainly put the ball back into their court.

Mistigri Sat 25-Jun-16 19:26:42

The short answer is "yes".

Yesterday was payback time - Cameron reneged on his promise to invoke article 50 and chucked Boris a hand grenade with the pin taken out.

buffalogrumble Sat 25-Jun-16 19:29:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LineyReborn Sat 25-Jun-16 19:30:31

But Cameron did do that, buffalogrumble.

Alfieisnoisy Sat 25-Jun-16 19:32:36

It's just the opinion of one commentator that's all.

I voted to Remain but a greater number of voters wanted something different. It will still happen but at a slower time scale....even though the EU want us to pack our bags and fuck off grin

Important thing is that whoever takes over looks at the country as a whole and ensures the timescale for withdrawing is appropriate.

Joysmum Sat 25-Jun-16 19:40:19

It's a matter of timing. It would be damaging to the UK, EU and world to be invoking article 50 before a general consensus on what we want for our future has been reached. This means that those for remain need to make their voices heard.

This now isn't just about a yes/no vote, it's complicated and we'll see how Brexiters did so with differing visions for the future (contrary to the crap spouted that we are all racist and uneducated!)

Add into that the remain voters diluting the wishes of the likes of UKIP who want to control EU immigration meaning a free trade agreement would be impossible.

Make your voices heard Remain camp. It's more vital than ever that you do.

TooMuchMNTime Sat 25-Jun-16 19:41:29

OP great analysis
But boris is, as you say, not a dumb blonde. So surely he must have realised DC would resign? I was waiting for it as soon as the result was declared. I don't think DC should be stuck with a task he doesn't want.

For the record, I thought Boris was a stooge and that DC was more in favour of leaving! Today's silence is making me think they're cooking up the next step between them, and that might well be either ignoring the ref result and trying the Act of Parliament or possibly even a second ref. Or DC will step down and put a temp leader in place, I think that's allowed?

LineyReborn Sat 25-Jun-16 19:44:14

Boris didn't predict the result. That's the issue.

Mistigri Sat 25-Jun-16 19:46:52

Boris didn't expect to win, and he certainly didn't expect his old pal to call his bluff.

Cinnamon2013 Sat 25-Jun-16 19:48:11

Interesting.

according to a source, DC said 'Someone else can sort this shit out'.

I don't have the link unfortunately as OH just read it out from a politics blog. Believeable though!

LineyReborn Sat 25-Jun-16 19:49:57

I read DC said something like, 'I'm not doing the hard shit.'

Felascloak Sat 25-Jun-16 19:50:13

I agree OP.
I also think Labour are trying to trigger an early general election by changing leaders as well, so that they can campaign on the basis of us staying in.
BoJo and Gove don't want to actually leave, hence radio silence from them. I don't think any politician wants to invoke article 50. It's an unholy mess, I think we will end up staying in but god knows how much carnage will be wreaked in the meantime.

TooMuchMNTime Sat 25-Jun-16 19:51:54

Liney and MistI, that would make Boris sillier than I thought!

Perhaps now someone who is okay with the upcoming stuff - Liam fox or Theresa May will step forward. I still think there's something being cooked up that will surprise us.

howtorebuild Sat 25-Jun-16 19:52:07

BoJo was not expecting this.

chantico Sat 25-Jun-16 19:54:15

The start of the transfer process (whenever A50 is to be invoked) cannot wait until the Tory party conference. Negotiations need to begin now, as posts and functions are already beginning to change.

So DC needs to appoint a Secretary of State for Orderly Exit to the Cabinet. On Monday.

Felascloak Sat 25-Jun-16 19:55:12

Toomuch boris was gambling on a narrow remain victory imo. Then DC would have had to resign and he could have taken on the leadership. It's blown up in his face now.
Makes me so angry that the Tories have played fast and loose with all our futures for their own ends. DC should never have called the referendum, but did it to win the last GE. BoJo shouldn't have joined Leave but did it because he wants to be PM. Bunch of twats.

CommanderShepard Sat 25-Jun-16 19:57:29

Sorry - just to be clear, I didn't write it!

It might well be conspiracy theorist bollocks but Cameron has said that he will leave the invocation of article 50 to his successor, so I guess we take from that what we will. I suppose the Tory MPs could no confidence him and get the ball rolling more quickly, but that seems terribly unlikely.

I am as sure as I reasonably can be though that Johnson just wanted to be PM, not actually leave the EU.

GrumpyOldBag Sat 25-Jun-16 19:59:38

Actually David Cameron called the referendum.

He did not have to do that.

He did it to try and unite a divided party and further his own political ambitions. It backfired quite spectacularly.

His entry in the history books will be the PM who dis-united the United Kingdom as a result.

And he didn't stick around to clean up the mess he created.

Although I do like your opinion OP.

SpaceKablooie Sat 25-Jun-16 20:01:06

Just marking my place. BJ did look remarkably uncomfortable on TV.

Quiero Sat 25-Jun-16 20:03:37

I think you might be right OP. Something smells very, very off about all of this.

ApocalypseSlough Sat 25-Jun-16 20:06:59

I so hope this happens.

Badders123 Sat 25-Jun-16 20:08:31

Yep
Completely agree
Thought bojo and gove actually looked nauseous yesterday hmm

WhatsGoingOnEh Sat 25-Jun-16 20:12:10

Anyone else get the impression that the EU are actually glad to see the back of the U.K.?!

We've always been fussy buggers. Who knows if they're just not delighted to be rid of us, especially as they had no way to legally kick us out.

I posted this on another thread, but I think it's interesting: the only way that an EU member state can be removed is for its membership to be suspended. It can only be suspended under article 7 of the Lisbon Treaty, which states that a "breach of EU principles" can lead to a suspension of membership. The EU principles include democracy.

Ignoring the results of a referendum looks like the opposite of democracy to me.

So, if the UK doesn't invoke Article 50 soon, could the EU suspend us, by invoking Article 7?

FellOutOfBed2wice Sat 25-Jun-16 20:13:37

I think this is probably very close to the truth. Something is rotten in the state of Westminster, alright. IMO Farage is the only one who wanted it- BoJo and Gove used his bandwagon to further their own cynical political ambitions.

Mistigri Sat 25-Jun-16 20:16:11

Liney and MistI, that would make Boris sillier than I thought!

I don't think he's stupid at all; he is astute and cunning. But he is also a bit more of a gambler and a bit more impetuous than most successful senior politicians tend to be. It shows in his history of poor judgement in speech and in writing, and in the way that he has overreached himself here.

poochiepants Sat 25-Jun-16 20:16:50

I actually don't blame DC for chucking it all in, not many of us would willingly carry the can at work for such a big pile of.....and I love the OPs viewpoint. I hadn't thought about it like that. Poison chalice? Yes, it probably is. Will anyone really want that responsibility? Nah....I too think that Boris was just looking for a platform to raise his profile to statesman level (ish) and actually doesn't 100% believe this is a good move. It is Check, maybe not Checkmate just yet....but it is a great bluff that's been played on the Leave leaders.....

Muddlingalongalone Sat 25-Jun-16 20:17:19

This is why the radio silence from Gideon & why Gove took so long to show his face.

WhatsGoingOnEh Sat 25-Jun-16 20:19:51

but it is a great bluff that's been played on the Leave leaders.....

It is. Its also a massive two fingers to the UK, who ignored his advice about the EU.

Badders123 Sat 25-Jun-16 20:20:40

...and where the hell is Osborne!!?

Lunde Sat 25-Jun-16 20:22:05

I think this was about a power struggle in the Tory party - some of the MPs that hopped on the bandwagon did not really intend to leave the EU but more to establish credentials on the right-wing of the party.

But they got more than they bargained for and have to live with their choice - a correct move by Cameron to hand over to those who actually campaigned for it

WhatsGoingOnEh Sat 25-Jun-16 20:22:35

Osbourne must be out. It's telling how Mark Carney gave the reassuring speech to the markets yesterday, instead of Osbourne. Is that because Carney is much more trusted?

gnudiff Sat 25-Jun-16 20:25:42

> Wonder of DC will go and be the new EU Commissioner now that Lord Hill has resigned

I bet EU will not be accepting UK nominees for anything until it is clear whether Article 50 is going to be invoked or not.

Badders123 Sat 25-Jun-16 20:26:05

Must be.
I loathe DC but I must admit I am starting to admire him a little for throwing that pair of power hungry chinless wonders to the dogs grin

ThomasRichard Sat 25-Jun-16 20:26:45

Boris definitely didn't actually want to leave. Muppet.

Gove did but heaven help us if he gets to be PM.

Article 7 should have been invoked on Bulgaria and Hungary for their political mess.

LineyReborn Sat 25-Jun-16 20:27:24

I think Samantha said, 'Do it.'

Mistigri Sat 25-Jun-16 20:31:21

Osbourne must be out. It's telling how Mark Carney gave the reassuring speech to the markets yesterday, instead of Osbourne. Is that because Carney is much more trusted?

Carney as governor of the BoE is responsible for the functioning and stability of the markets, why this is surprising is beyond me.

It will be up to the new PM to choose his or her new cabinet including the chancellor. Osborne's preference might be to resign but it would not be wise - the situation is unstable enough as things are. I think he is correct to take a back seat and let the technocrats like Carney do their jobs.

littlequestion Sat 25-Jun-16 20:32:07

But why would DC have had to resign if there was only a narrow Remain victory? I think a win is a win so he'd have stayed in - so nothing in it for Boris.....

GrumpyOldBag Sat 25-Jun-16 20:32:23

this:

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/25/boris-johnson-michael-gove-eu-liars

WhatsGoingOnEh Sat 25-Jun-16 20:35:17

I meant it's surprising that the chairman of the Bank of England was the person giving the reassurance speech, instead of the Chancellor. It's usually be the Chancellor, wouldn't it, after a huge political event.

exWifebeginsat40 Sat 25-Jun-16 20:36:27

actually, where IS george osborne?

Mistigri Sat 25-Jun-16 20:39:35

But why would DC have had to resign if there was only a narrow Remain victory? I think a win is a win so he'd have stayed in - so nothing in it for Boris.

The referendum was designed to put to bed the divisions in the Tory party. To achieve this, it needed to be a clear "remain" decision (60:40 might have done it).

Boris's gamble was that the result would be a narrow victory for remain. In this situation, Cameron would have been weakened - his party unity gambit would have failed, and many Tory constituencies would have voted leave, leaving his pro-EU chancellor and presumed successor dangerously exposed.

All along, this has been about destroying Osborne's chances of succeeding Cameron, and delivering the party base to Boris.

WhatsGoingOnEh Sat 25-Jun-16 20:39:43

Osbourne has tweeted. :-/

DC won't be the new EU commissioner! They've already chosen Hill's successor, it's Valdis Dombrovskis, from Latvia, currently European Commissioner for the euro.

PreAdvent13610 Sat 25-Jun-16 20:40:29

There are liars and then there is fraud.
Treason is probably pushing it.
Are the Met looking into this?

PeppermintPasty Sat 25-Jun-16 20:48:27

Commander can you please post the link to the comment, i.e. Your OP?

Ginmakesitallok Sat 25-Jun-16 20:48:32

It's a shambles. No one has a clue what exiting eu actually means, or how it will happen in practice. There's no one who can lead the UK through this.

RiceCrispieTreats Sat 25-Jun-16 21:01:11

There's no one who wants to lead the UK through this.

They know it's a terrible idea.
They know that taking on the leadership of the Conservative Party now means offering up your balls to be nailed to the wall in Brussels.

RiceCrispieTreats Sat 25-Jun-16 21:02:46

...or admitting to the electorate that the entire Leave campaign, and everything the Sun and Daily Mail have ever written on the EU, was always a pack of lies.

Vixster99 Sat 25-Jun-16 21:02:49

I always assumed DC would resign if the vote was to Leave, but tbh I didn't really expect them to win.
I hoped Osborne would immediately resign too (I really cannot stand that man) I am now wondering if his silence is because he is contemplating standing for leader?

The referendum decision is not binding, which I expect is why Section 50 hasn't been invoked yet. Given the narrow majority and amount of venom the result has generated, everyone needs time to work out the best way forward.
Personally I think it may lead to a new round of negotiations for revised terms for staying in [we are a major contributor: can they really afford to lose us?] Unfortunately I don't think we have any really good negotiators - on either side & across all parties.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a general election within 6 months. I can't see the Tories getting returned to power, especially if BoJo is leader. Hopefully Labour will have managed to get themselves sorted out by then. I never expected Corbyn to lead them into the next election, but I thought he might have lasted long enough for a new leader to arise naturally rather than be parachuted in or promoted before they were ready for it.

Badders123 Sat 25-Jun-16 21:05:09

....I wonder what David milliband is up to these days....😁

SpaceKablooie Sat 25-Jun-16 21:08:10

Badders, I was wondering that too...

ChameleonCircuit Sat 25-Jun-16 21:15:39

Didn't David Milliband take a job in New York after being shafted by Ed?

MuddhaOfSuburbia Sat 25-Jun-16 21:17:42

I'd bet my boots the Labour membership will never go for David M

who knows though

I love Corbyn but. let's face it, this is a pretty right wing country and it's never going to work out

Labour need a total FUCKER on the job

Badders123 Sat 25-Jun-16 21:19:17

Absolutely!
But what a sad indictment of our times that a decent, principled person is unelectable 😞

RedToothBrush Sat 25-Jun-16 21:20:00

Did someone say Fraud?

www.gov.uk/marketing-advertising-law/regulations-that-affect-advertising

www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/141788/Part-4-The-campaign-LGEW.pdf
Racial hatred
Under the Public Order Act 1986, it is an offence to 1.52 publish or distribute threatening, abusive or insulting material that is intended to stir up racial hatred or which is likely to stir up racial hatred.

Hmm.

PreAdvent13610 Sat 25-Jun-16 21:20:07

David Milliband is alive and well in NY

OfficiallyUnofficial Sat 25-Jun-16 21:20:41

Jesus if we end up with Jeremy Corbyn trying to lead us through this we are truly screwed.

I'm with PP, I think without us the EU ceases to function, there were only, what 3/4 net contributing countries with 20+ just taking moment out? Financially unviable in the long term, hence the leave vote winning.

So in the best outcome this is a reset button for the EU to re- negotiate properly and to halt the creep into some sort of beurocratic monstrosity of a super state.

OfficiallyUnofficial Sat 25-Jun-16 21:21:42

*money not moment

MuddhaOfSuburbia Sat 25-Jun-16 21:22:52

you know the BBC coverage on Thursday night

it had a banner v v early on, for ages, saying 80 odd Tory MPs had signed a letter saying whatever the decision the PM had everyone's confidence to see it through. Or similar

Gove and Johnson had signed it

at the time, I said to OH are they thinking he'll bail if it goes Leave

I may be being totally thick with this, and maybe it's standard? If not, did they have a fair clue that DC'd just give it fuckety bye and flounce?

Badders123 Sat 25-Jun-16 21:24:05

I must admit to thinking the same muddha!

Ginmakesitallok Sat 25-Jun-16 21:24:06

Surely the only way forward is a general election, where the parties clearly set out to the electorate how they are going to respond to the referendum. Then we vote for who we want to take us forward and they get on with it.

BeakyMinder Sat 25-Jun-16 21:24:06

Many in the political establishment are regretting the result, which they didn't expect. Sign the petition ...

Ginmakesitallok Sat 25-Jun-16 21:24:56

My post above is genius by the way, and if it happens you can say you saw it here first.

Badders123 Sat 25-Jun-16 21:26:43

Yes this will trigger a GE
Hence Labour's no confidence vote on Corbyn...they have the same issue as the tories though...who the hell wants to take on this poisoned chalice!?

RiceCrispieTreats Sat 25-Jun-16 21:28:40

Personally I think it may lead to a new round of negotiations for revised terms for staying in [we are a major contributor: can they really afford to lose us?]

I don't share your view.
The UK and EU have been "negotiating" for 43 fractious years already. There is no appetite in Brussels for giving London any further concessions.

And while the UK is indeed a net contributor, British governments and electorate have always under-estimated the fact that, for other countries, it's not about money, as it is here. They lived through WWII in a very different way than the UK did, and for the rest of the EU, the political project is what they see and are emotionally attached to. The UK just spat on that with this referendum, and it is taken as a very grave insult in a way that I think the British public really don't appreciate.

Muddlingalongalone Sat 25-Jun-16 21:29:06

Muddha my take on the letter at the time was that they were grovelling for their careers in a no hard feelings kinda way.
Your version makes more sense now!

Badders123 Sat 25-Jun-16 21:31:08

Rice crispy...spot on! And this is personal for juncker...DC tried to lock his appointment...he will make this very hard for the uk imo, despite merkels placatory remarks.

doceodocere Sat 25-Jun-16 21:32:36

MunchCrunch01 Sat 25-Jun-16 21:39:39

I really hope this leads to a general election and a clear mandate to remain, and also that labour boot Corbyn back to his veg patch where he belongs

MuddhaOfSuburbia Sat 25-Jun-16 21:42:45

lol veg patch

who could they have instead then?

they have the same issue as the tories though...who the hell wants to take on this poisoned chalice!?

this ^

WhatsGoingOnEh Sat 25-Jun-16 21:46:42

YES YES, to the EU seeing itself as a peaceful, political union. And YES YES to the UK having just completely insulted that.

Juncker really really looks and sounds like a man who can't wait for us to feck off.

Have a hideous feeling that the EU will be transformed after we go, due to rising dissatisfaction from other states, and become absolutely brilliant. And we'll be on the outside asking to come in, like we did the first time, and being refused, like we were the first and second time.

Sob.

MuddhaOfSuburbia Sat 25-Jun-16 21:47:15

re the OP

someone on twitter posted pic of Gove and Johnson at that press conference, looking all sheepish and scared

said it looked just like the bit in The Producers where they find out that Springtime for Hitler is a massive success grin

neolara Sat 25-Jun-16 21:50:54

So do what I've just done and join the Labour Party so you can vote to oust Corbyn. It's outrageous that he was not able to provide viable opposition to the conservatives who were tearing themselves apart. It just needs lots of Remainers to do the same. With a credible leader and pro Remain policies I reckon Labour could do very well in the next GE which I predict will be called in the autumn.

I also agree with the OP. No-one will want the job of implementing article 50. Am thinking of also joining the conservatives to vote for Boris to get the job.. Half the country would hate him for signing. Of the rest, half would hate him for not sending £350,000,000 per week to the NHS and stopping immigration and the other half would hate him for not getting on with things quickly enough. Would be sweet revenge.

Badders123 Sat 25-Jun-16 21:52:31

Yes I saw that grin
I feel utterly bewildered by the whole thing
Bottom line is;
This is a victory for Rupert Murdoch and the right wing press

PlatoTheGreat Sat 25-Jun-16 21:53:33

Agree with Rice
it is doubtful that other EU countries will want to make any effort at all with the U.K., especially after spending already YEARS trying to keep Britain happy and giving them 'special treatments' that no one else ever got.

A lot of people in the EU actually think France should have stuck to their first stance of vetoing the entrance of the U.K. Into the EU...

mouldycheesefan Sat 25-Jun-16 21:55:06

Gove and Johnson were not sheepish and scared they were attempting to appear magnanimous, statesmanlike and somber. This is the day they have been waiting for but they can't be too cock a hoop when the PM has resigned and 48% of nation voted against the outcome.

PlatoTheGreat Sat 25-Jun-16 21:55:47

neolara even though the idea of joining a part that you don't like doesn't sit well with me, I can see your PoV.
Depending on how each election is going to go, these will decide the future f the UK in a way that this referendum didn't.
And people will not have their say unless you do what you have just said.

LordRothermereBlackshirtCunt Sat 25-Jun-16 21:58:47

Surely the danger of a GE is that UKIP could potentially do extremely well at this particular moment?

MuddhaOfSuburbia Sat 25-Jun-16 22:00:06

This is the day they have been waiting for

ah but have they

Nick Cohen (I think- amongst others) has got them down as chancer journos who neither wanted or expected this result

Badders123 Sat 25-Jun-16 22:00:22

I don't think there is any doubt that ukip will do very well at the next GE
😞

LineyReborn Sat 25-Jun-16 22:01:54

Ukip will split the Tory vote.

puglife15 Sat 25-Jun-16 22:04:24

I thought exactly that. Boris got what he wanted with Cameron gone, but he doesn't want to get his hands covered in Brexit shit. Hence the very clever silence right now. The evil bastard.

I'm not sure Corbyn did fuck all, all the media coverage was focused on Tory remain and Tory leave. The media don't want Corbyn and he can only do (or appear to do) so much without them.

RedToothBrush Sat 25-Jun-16 22:10:30

Its gone dead quiet today hasn't it?

hownottofuckup Sat 25-Jun-16 22:10:52

That is why I want to make clear that the Liberal Democrats will fight the next election on a clear and unequivocal promise to restore Britain’s prosperity and role in the world, with the United Kingdom in the European Union, not outside it.

From Tim Farron - interesting.

Muskey Sat 25-Jun-16 22:11:46

Finally op someone who agrees with what I have been saying for weeks. David Cameron tried a political manoeuvre that has badly back fired on him as well as Borris and even managing to drag Jeremy Corbin down with him. Hats off to DC I never thought he was that good a politician. There are two things which amaze me about all this. At the last general election "the ordinary voter" wasn't clamouring for a referendum and yet DC gave it to people on a plate. Also how many people who are now bitterly complaining about the result voted DC in the first place.

GhostofFrankGrimes Sat 25-Jun-16 22:14:06

Anyone else worried that PM has essentially gone AWOL? We will have a political vacuum until October.

NigellasGuest Sat 25-Jun-16 22:15:43

Duncan-Smith is also very quiet.
He was giggling away on the BBC election night coverage, not expecting to win. He's probably thinking Oh fuck, too.

RepentAtLeisure Sat 25-Jun-16 22:21:57

Can David Cameron string this out till October though? PMQs will be interesting!

InShockReally Sat 25-Jun-16 22:23:04

Well at least this thread's given me a bit of empty hope before trying to sleep better than last night, so thank you for that flowers

puglife15 Sat 25-Jun-16 22:24:11

Cameron seemed to have checked out months ago from what I've seen. I thought that when I saw his appearance on Question Time. He looked knackered and bored and, like, totes over it all.

RepentAtLeisure Sat 25-Jun-16 22:24:11

I wouldn't put it past DC and GO to basically sulk for four months, no.

ObiWanCannelloni Sat 25-Jun-16 22:25:51

And Johnson playing cricket all day today then. Because you wouldn't want to start dealing with consequences now, would you ...
A Times journo has suggested we refer to BJ as Johnson now as "Boris" and "BoJo" are reinforcing the nice, cheeky chappie isn't he a great guy myth....
I wonder whether he will actually sit out this leadership challenge, let someone else pick up the shitty stick and take the flak until kicked out, while he continues his media campaign on the side, ready to swoop in later when the jobs a bit easier....
But on balance, think his raging ambition will mean he can't help himself and will run....

TheNorthRemembers Sat 25-Jun-16 22:26:45

I so agree with you OP. It is very well put.

Boris looked ashen at the press conference, like a death in the family. I do not like him, but was quite concerned about him.

I was jokily texting DH "Boris must be keeping DC locked up to stop him from resigning", when Cameron came out and resigned. I truly despise that vile man for the destruction he brought upon us (not just now but over the years), but I cried my eyes out - as he was at least throwing the even more vile Gove and Johnson under the bus as well.

I agree that for Continental countries it is not only about the money. My ILs keep banging about how good it was in 1940 when we were standing on our own and defeated Hitler on our own. I need all my willpower not to say that nearly 20 million Soviet and God know how many US soldiers died so that we can have this stupid conversation, but hey.

Osborne must be in the bunker where Dick Cheney was hidden after 9/11. But seriously, I do not think he would stand to be the leader now, he is not that stupid. I think they are all (Gove, Johnson, Osborne) together somewhere trying to work out WTF to do now. Possibly very drunk as well.

Only Farage is available 24/7, as he is totally cut off. Turned into a chatshow host. He can't even get into the Parliament, as he can't get himself elected for love or money.

slamdunkthefunk Sat 25-Jun-16 22:27:50

exWifebeginsat40

actually, where IS george osborne?

I think he's being sick in the toilets.

stealtheatingtunnocks Sat 25-Jun-16 22:32:51

Tell you who else is AWOL, Alex Salmond.

With all the talk of aNOTHER referendum in Scotland, and there being hundreds of SNP MPs, and AS being a bit of a media whore, I kind of expected him to be bigging up Nicola.

Seems odd.

TheNorthRemembers Sat 25-Jun-16 22:33:26

Johnson also seemed to have got the wrong speech on the Friday. He thought he was on the remain team and won: we will be more European now, we'll learn languages (WTF?), we love young people.

Johnson went, in the space of 3 months, from this cool guy, the darling of the metropolitan elite, to be hostage to a totally different demographics.

Vixster99 Sat 25-Jun-16 22:33:35

I think Osborne is doing the rounds of all his City contacts, trying to find his next job wink

RedToothBrush Sat 25-Jun-16 22:34:51

Boris looked ashen at the press conference, like a death in the family. I do not like him, but was quite concerned about him.

Did you see the photo of him on the Tube on twitter, saying about losing that came out about 11pm...

It was ODD.

TheNorthRemembers Sat 25-Jun-16 22:35:37

Or shore up the partys' finances? Their biggest donors lost toms of money in the past few days.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »