Remainers have become undemocratic, desperate & embarrassing

(137 Posts)
BritBrit Sat 25-Jun-16 15:30:29

With a petition being launched by remainers for a 2nd EU referendum & getting 1.5 million signatures already is this not a sign remainers have a total lack of respect for UK democracy and are getting desperate. Leave won on a high turnout, should remainers just accept the democratic will of British voters & work for the best Brexit possible?

smallfox1980 Sat 25-Jun-16 15:38:04

No its the opposite, its a democratic challenge. It has to be debated in parliament now. There has been quite a lot of coverage that their are a number of leave voters who wouldn't do so again, they only voted that way to "kick the establishment."

Also it wasn't a large majority was it.

In the end though, the referendum will stand, but the buyers remorse that the country will feel by October will mean that we will probably just joing the EEA which in effect is probably the best of a bad job.

Still obeying EU rules, still paying in, still have freedom of movement, no say.

Grassgreendashhabi Sat 25-Jun-16 15:38:34

I want to start a petition against the 2nd petition

It makes a mockery of voting.

Best 2 out of 3.

Makes me think communist society

Democracy is a word that comes from the Greek - Demos and Kratos - and means voice of the people.

Everyone who has signed that petition is a person who wishes their voice to be heard - therefore it is most certainly democratic.

And in a Communist society, you would only get one vote - and there would be only one candidate/party - so there is no way that this can be likened to communism!

saffynool Sat 25-Jun-16 15:46:19

A communist society? I think you need to get yourself a dictionary.

I think what you meant to say OP, was that it was extremely close on a high turnout.

Buyers' remorse has definitely kicked for quite a few. This is going to feel like one hell of a long hangover for some Leavers.

Fwiw I was staunch remain and I've not signed that petition. Getting mighty sick of those who got what they wanted whining about the fallout, though.

Namehanger Sat 25-Jun-16 15:55:07

How can such a HUGE constitutional decision be made on such a slight majority of people who voted? We have no written constitution, this is a travesty of populist rabble rousing.

How can the answer to gigantic economic, political and global challenges be yes or no. Yes people are angry, broke, scared and yes I am part of the liberal elite, not ordinary person but you can engage in voting for a government that does not slash and burn.

The reason there is a lack of school places, queues at your doctors,, a lack of jobs, council houses is not the EU. A long list of causes starting in 1979 with the destruction.of industry, selling of council houses, lack of investment in manufacturing, globalisation etc.. Not the growth of the EU with more immigration.

Be angry, hate the 'liberal elite' and the cosying up to big business but vote for politicians who look after your interests.

Yes or No, a simple question to an immensely complicated question,

Grassgreendashhabi Sat 25-Jun-16 16:24:31

We have a vote . We voted. Some stayed away, votes counted, leave won and now remain want another vote.

So if remain win this time will leavers ask for a third vote best 2 out of 3. hmm

Grassgreendashhabi Sat 25-Jun-16 16:25:18

And over one million more people voted out than in that's not a small number

Namehanger Sat 25-Jun-16 16:43:30

% wise it is 4%

Unlike voting for a new government, this one cannot be taken back. We leave, we leave for the near future.

Also this is advisory, no rules, no constitutional mandate!

IthinkIamsinking Sat 25-Jun-16 16:51:44

38% of the electorate voted to leave.
The majority of 18 to 25 year olds voted to remain.
A significant number of Brexit voters were over 65.
The baby boomers have done very well over the last 30 years. Now they are shitting on generations for whom Brexit will have the greatest impact.
1,000,000 out of a population of 65,000,000 is fuck all (even taking into account the proportion who can vote)
Daily Mail and red top readers have led the way. Ignorant little Englanders.

gunting Sat 25-Jun-16 16:54:31

What annoys me is that we won't even leave the EU until 2 years from now. By that time some of brexiters won't be around still and all of the 16/17 year old remainers who are too young to vote will be stuck with it.

ApocalypseSlough Sat 25-Jun-16 16:55:09

Grass
And over one million more people voted out than in that's not a small number.
It really is a small number.

WellErrr Sat 25-Jun-16 16:56:54

What if they lose again?

Best out of five?

YourPerception Sat 25-Jun-16 16:57:10

I will sign a petition against the petition. They don't respect my democratic right to vote. There will be social unrest caused by the remainers petition.

IthinkIamsinking Sat 25-Jun-16 16:58:08

Well
Have you actually read the blurb for the petition? It's not just a simple request for a second referendum.

Bambamrubblesmum Sat 25-Jun-16 17:01:33

That best 2 out of 3 argument is getting tired.

Signing a petition is part of the democratic process otherwise it wouldn't be part of open government. Getting it debated is democratic.

This is too big a decision to go on such a % split in the vote.

YourPerception Sat 25-Jun-16 17:07:24

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3659769/Anti-Brexit-protests-break-London-streets-petition-SECOND-EU-referendum-hits-1-5million-names-day.html

Social unrest.

IthinkIamsinking Sat 25-Jun-16 17:12:49

grin grin grin Your
Social unrest???? Priceless.

gunting Sat 25-Jun-16 17:13:00

Looks like some Fail readers have a case of buyers remorse already. Ooh doesn't 'independence' feel GOOD! angry http://indy100.independent.co.uk/article/the-mail-has-explained-what-brexit-means-and-its-readers-seem-shocked--Z1772TI4aNW

Groovee Sat 25-Jun-16 17:14:06

I voted to remain. It's time to live with the consequences and face this uncertainty with our future and how things will pan out!

smallfox1980 Sat 25-Jun-16 17:14:33

It was never going to be a case of this is a final thing, if it had gone the other way Farage had said that he would be contesting it still.

It certainly isn't a case of shut up and get on with it.

That's why we live in a democracy, funny how democracy is so important to leavers when it goes in their favour but not when it doesn't.

Grassgreendashhabi Sat 25-Jun-16 17:15:40

Small - the same can be Said about remainers

Spinflight Sat 25-Jun-16 17:18:02

I think there should be another referendum.

In 41 years time!

YourPerception Sat 25-Jun-16 17:18:35

I am sure you will also laugh when brexiter voters demo back. They will be fighting like they are here only with their fists.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now