Talk

Advanced search

Referendum: you and partner vote differently?

(30 Posts)
cappy123 Sat 25-Jun-16 00:44:12

DH and I voted differently in the historic referendum. It felt odd on Friday, v sombre mood at work and later at home. I don't think either of us was ever going to 'celebrate' coz we knew it'd be close. Whilst DH was always sure which way he'd go, I decided about 2 days before. We both stand by our decisions. Any other mixed couple voters out there?

I'm interested because I've seen some harsh comments against Leavers and thought how have people handled this under their own roofs if they differ from their loved ones.

LineyReborn Sat 25-Jun-16 00:48:09

Yes.

It's very awkward. My DCs are gutted.

We have a moratorium on even discussing it this evening because of other serious issues going on, but it's going to be really difficult going forward.

Bugger1ugs Sat 25-Jun-16 01:06:55

Yes, but I don't think we were unusual. In the run up, we had several conversations with friends who were voting different ways. And absolutely everyone I spoke to at work today had voted differently to their partner. I'm gutted about the result, but I respect my husband's decision in the same way he respects mine.

coldcanary Sat 25-Jun-16 01:10:59

Yep, here too. It's no issue. We've always had differing political leanings and I had an inkling he would vote differently to me. We may not agree with each other but we respect each other's opinions.
We'll weather whatever Brexit throws at us because believe me we've weathered a hell of a lot worse and we're still together come what may smile

hellsbells99 Sat 25-Jun-16 01:18:54

Yes we voted differently. We are adults, we deal with it, we are allowed to have an opinion of our own.

Somerville Sat 25-Jun-16 01:46:07

We voted the same, but if it makes you feel any better, we fell out tonight due to the stress of the whole thing. confused

WickedLazy Sat 25-Jun-16 01:48:10

I voted out, dp has never voted.

PennyPinkleton Sat 25-Jun-16 06:10:25

We voted differently - no biggie

MajesticSeaFlapFlap Sat 25-Jun-16 06:14:41

I voted in he voted out.
No drama, i did call him a farage loving racist twat over breakfast yesterday bu

MajesticSeaFlapFlap Sat 25-Jun-16 06:15:20

But i said it with love while handing over a bacon rolll

exLtEveDallas Sat 25-Jun-16 06:17:19

Yes we voted differently. It's slightly awkward, because whilst I just want to forget the whole damn sorry mess, DH wants to talk about it. Endlessly.
I've taken to answering 'uh huh' and 'mmm' when really I want to shout at him.

(It doesn't help that on Monday I suggested he go to town and get our holiday money in case of a fall, and he said "It's fine, we've got ages yet, don't worry" - well shit.)

sweatyfarce Sat 25-Jun-16 07:16:19

Yes we voted differently to each other. We are using humour to bridge the arkward Ness.

FiveGoMadInDorset Sat 25-Jun-16 07:27:39

Yes, I really struggled to talk to him yesterday and was glad I had work to go to

MrPoppersPenguins Sat 25-Jun-16 07:35:08

I voted in, he voted out. My colleagues were all being quite rude about out voters today and I was cringing. Some of them know he voted out too. I actually am really surprised, we always vote the same usually ( similar views).

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 25-Jun-16 07:37:04

Yes, differently I think,I haven't asked. We always vote differently. Doesn't make a blind bit of difference
to how I feel about him. People can vote how they like.

downright Sat 25-Jun-16 07:42:04

There's a specific topic for this ---->

GinnyMcginface Sat 25-Jun-16 07:51:35

We voted differently, no drama at all. We love a bit of politics in our house-Question Time with wine and popcorn is a weekday highlight, that's how tragic we are. We vote for different political parties too yet still, shockingly, we have a happy marriage. We celebrate the democracy we live in.

cakesonatrain Sat 25-Jun-16 08:01:52

I voted in, he was leaning towards out but didn't actually vote. No falling out so far.

paddlenorapaddle Sat 25-Jun-16 08:08:32

We voted differently by choice one voted out one voted in. We didn't want to not vote but nor were we incredibly decided either.

No big drama

Sanchar Sat 25-Jun-16 08:10:36

We did.
Dh out
Me in

I'm worried sick and have a stress stomach ache.
dh is gloating, insists recession won't happen and is elated that Muppet cockfaced Farage is talking about replacing NHS with private insurance.

Hulababy Sat 25-Jun-16 08:16:25

We both voted in but we know older family members voted out. When we see then this weekend and next it will not be mentioned if at all possible. No point falling out over it now; what's done is done. So we shall talk about anything but for a while instead.

insancerre Sat 25-Jun-16 08:20:57

Yes
He voted out
I have tried not to get in a debate with him
I've been biting my lip for weeks
I've told him I don't know anybody else who has admitted to voting out
His colleagues all voted in, he says he feels like he is being labelled a racist

Ilikesweetpeas Sat 25-Jun-16 08:23:13

We voted differently, were both in until the day before when DH decided out. He keeps asking me if I'm cross with him now because I'm concerned about the future impact on GB. Cross isn't the right word, I just don't understand his reasons.

sglodion Sat 25-Jun-16 08:26:10

We voted differently. No big deal though, I didn't actually decide which way I was going to vote until the morning of the election.

SharkBaitOohHaha Sat 25-Jun-16 08:26:13

We voted the same way, though I'm more gutted about the outcome than he is.

Both sets of parents voted leave. I've had to bite my tongue on a number of occasions. I'll get over it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now