Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How to Make Britain a better country

(48 Posts)
ceridwyn Fri 24-Jun-16 11:40:40

OK people. Let's get past the shock and anguish, blame and panic about the EUref result before it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. A decision has been made that probably won't be implemented until 2019...Sterling is falling because the selfish b*** capitalists who thought they could make a quick buck backed the wrong result and are now shorting currency to create volatility in the market so that they can make money. Can we not just take a moment to say what we would like for Britain's future rather than being so negative. That way maybe we can all put our minds and our will behind it to make it happen. I want people who care about people would be running the country. I want Britain to be a country where people choose to educate themselves, look after their neighbours and wider community and a free to speak their mind as long as they are willing to listen to the other side of the debate without resorting to insults and incivility. What would you change to make a positive impact Locally and Nationally.

purplevase4 Fri 24-Jun-16 13:50:41

What do I want for our future?

A properly funded education system including higher education. No tuition fees. Maybe a graduate tax, but nothing that you have to pay upfront or feel is a burden.

More £££ for the NHS and for adult social care.

An assessment of every empty property in the country to see if it can be brought back into use for housing or other use before building more houses on green field sites. Decent broadband for everyone so not everyone has to live near London.

More £££ for public transport and cycling but forget the idea of HS2 we don't need it (and I don't live anywhere near its path so this isn't self-interest)

An assurance that the UK (or what's left of it) will continue to comply with EU consumer law and employment laws.

Sort out tax evasion by multinationals to help pay for some of the above

Maintain free movement in Europe for students so you can still have your year abroad if eg you are studying French at university.

Millyonthefloss2 Fri 24-Jun-16 13:57:25

Agree with keeping free movement for students.

We should also keep the EUs sensible environmental rules.

RedToothBrush Fri 24-Jun-16 14:08:39

Greater Britain.

Well keeping us all together as a single country would be top of my list. I don't think that is going to happen.

Its too late.

Too little too late.

BreakingDad77 Fri 24-Jun-16 14:08:40

Well there is about 120 billion in tax thats evaded and avoided we could do with sorting that out, but seeing as we have given hardcore tories the reins is not going to happen.

Now that money could actually be used to build hospitals etc and not give rich people tax breaks etc.

BreakingDad77 Fri 24-Jun-16 14:10:26

We should also keep the EUs sensible environmental rules.

I would hope but worried that anything that costs business is 'red tape' per priti patel etc.

ceridwyn Fri 24-Jun-16 14:51:56

Thankyou purplevase4 😊 Nice to know that someone has their head on straight! In terms of free university education, should we have a free e-university available for everyone? RedToothBrush no negativity please, it's never too late as long as you're breathing. BreakingDad77 Sorting tax avoidance/evasion should be easier as companies will no longer be able to rotate their head office through different subsidiaries throughout the tax year if trade agreements are with individual countries (as long as hmrc make effective policy without constraint from gov policy) With regards freedom of movement for students I would hope that the agreement made with EU countries is similar to our current agreement with NZ allowing 6month visits without visas, under 30 visas for working abroad etc...

STIDW Fri 24-Jun-16 14:56:42

We now need to make the best of the situation. The £ & markets have stabilised a bit, BoE has contingency plans & the extent of any future volatility remains to be seen. We only produce 60% of our food & if £ is low imports will be more expensive so it would be prudent to be prepared to pay more for food.

UK needs an exit plan & a parliamentary mandate for the plan, or a general election. Brexiteers must decide what they want from the EU. Full access to the single market without following its rules, paying into the budget or accepting free movement of people are unrealistic.

An acrimonious divorce in no one's interest. Ideas mooted of forcing the EU break up, passing emergency laws to breach our obligations & scapegoating Mark Carney would just be inflammatory & counter productive. Not only would they create unnecessary economic uncertainty it would make it more difficult to get good terms.

RedToothBrush Fri 24-Jun-16 15:41:20

Well do you have any ideas on how to keep NI and Scotland as part of the union then?

Cos I'm fucking struggling and I usually have an answer for pretty much anything.

user1466690252 Fri 24-Jun-16 15:45:24

I want there to be less hate and more togetherness. The only way i can achieve this personally is generally being nicer and chattier to people I come into contact daily. I have no idea where to begin otherwise, but feel like it is vital we get rid of the nasty undertones that have been creeping up recently.

incywinci Fri 24-Jun-16 15:46:53

Get rid of Murdoch and his cronies.

user1466690252 Fri 24-Jun-16 15:50:04

Yes. The press in this country has alot to answer for! How do we go about that then? What needs to happen?;

Limer Fri 24-Jun-16 15:51:35

It's such early days. Events so far have been dominated by knee-jerk reactions from both sides (guilty as charged, that was me around 7am this morning).

It's good in a way that no political party has "won" as such. I'd hope the politicians of all flavours now act swiftly to get their houses in order, and can get down to the business of deciding how's best to proceed with the disengagement from the EU. I'd also hope that the EU would do the same, there's no appetite for any ridiculous posturing from either side.

I'd like to see more of the strong women we've seen in the campaign - Andrea Leadsom, Gisela Stuart. Yes, they're in different parties, but they're on the same side of Leave. I'd like the whole Leave process to be a cross-party effort.

BreakingDad77 Fri 24-Jun-16 16:29:48

I want there to be less hate and more togetherness

The majority of this campaign was built on blaming foreigners instead of our own governments for struggling services so excuse the frostyness, and putting remain people in charge who despise benefits and public services.

So maybe the first step to get rid of these tories, wack up taxes on higher rate tax payers and redistribute the wealth.

user1466690252 Fri 24-Jun-16 16:31:01

I'd rather live in an overall poorer society than hateful one. Whatever it takes

incywinci Fri 24-Jun-16 16:45:44

Jeremy Corbyn becoming PM will bring the changes we need to see. The problem is Murdoch won't let it happen.

BreakingDad77 Fri 24-Jun-16 16:48:50

Get rid of Murdoch and his cronies.

He supported Leave so good luck with that.

Corbyn wont get in, just be hung or tories again, cutting services because we in austerity bollocks all over again.

user1466690252 Fri 24-Jun-16 16:52:59

How would we go about some sort of reform of our press regulations?! Get murdoch out? Is it even possible?

GhostofFrankGrimes Fri 24-Jun-16 17:32:06

I'd rather live in an overall poorer society than hateful one. Whatever it takes

well you've got both so well done.

GhostofFrankGrimes Fri 24-Jun-16 17:33:29

Sterling is falling because the selfish b* capitalists who thought they could make a quick buck backed the wrong result and are now shorting currency to create volatility in the market so that they can make money.

capitalism isn't going anywhere and capitalism calls the shots.

user1466690252 Fri 24-Jun-16 17:36:25

I'm strongly remain, trying to make the best of a bad situation now.

lljkk Fri 24-Jun-16 20:53:43

All * I * can do is pay my taxes & do lots of volunteer work.
Who or what I vote for doesn't make a difference, it would seem.

claig Fri 24-Jun-16 21:13:51

Proportional representation, more democratic representation, more referendums that engage the people in politics, more freedom, more real diversity of opinion on the media and in the political class, smaller government, cuts in bureaucracy, more accountability, less power for the elites and more power for the people

claig Fri 24-Jun-16 21:19:44

Monthly sessions where the Prime Minister is grilled by an audience of the people on TV rather than by a journalist chum or by Corbyn reading out letters from Dave in Dorset at PMQ in order to keep the Prime Minister grounded.

Parliamentary sessions where the people instead of chums and MPs call senior civil servants, NHS bosses, charidee bosses who receive public money etc to be questioned on where the money is going.

user1466690252 Fri 24-Jun-16 21:20:06

And how do we start that then claig? How do we get change?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now