Talk

Advanced search

I'm worried about Brexit because...

(27 Posts)
Cosmiccreepers203 Fri 24-Jun-16 10:38:59

Remain voters, or even Leave voters, this is a thread to discuss your worries. People are scared this morning (at least 48% of the country) and we just need to get it all out!

I don't think there's anything wrong with being afraid. The other threads on this all seem to be a bit of a bun fight.

My worries are that this with break up the union and the a massive recession is looming and I'll lose my house.
Maybe we can make each other feel a bit better.

Pangurban1 Fri 24-Jun-16 11:15:35

When you say you're worried about losing your house, do you mean in the event of job loss and default on mortgage repayments?

Pangurban1 Fri 24-Jun-16 11:18:41

Mind you the removal of 5% vat on domestic fuel should be along soon. Of course the Tories were the ones who slapped an 8% vat on this fuel which had been zero rated. I expect it will be slapped on something else instead. Most vat has been voted in at an upwards rate.

Cosmiccreepers203 Fri 24-Jun-16 11:24:55

Mostly worried about rates going up and house prices going down as the result of the economic uncertainty. We were just about to re-mortgage because our rate was up. Should have done it sooner but never thought Brexit would actually happen. In total shock.
More than anything, I think people who didn't vote leave should be able to talk about their fears. It is scary times if this isn't what you expected to wake up to.

concertplayer Fri 24-Jun-16 11:25:13

This is just all such a mess. It is totally unchartered waters and the worst
of it all is that Leave have absolutely no plans outlined.
The problem is that the people ie the Cabinet who usually carry out things
were mostly in favour of Remain so how can they take the necessary steps for us to leave?

SnakeWitch Fri 24-Jun-16 11:27:17

I'm massively unsettled. Everything seems so unstable. I am worried my house purchase will fall through, I am worried that everything will be more expensive and just living will be a bit harder, I am worried about what will happen to the government - who will be in charge and what plans will they have for the UK?

I hope the brexiteers are right now it's all decided - back to the good old days, make our own rules and we'll all be better off eventually. There's a rough period just ahead though, surely, and that scares me. It is what it is though, just have to go with it and hope for the best. Keep calm and carry on, and all that!

prh47bridge Sat 25-Jun-16 00:33:53

Mind you the removal of 5% vat on domestic fuel should be along soon

It won't be along until we are out of the EU and probably not even then. The Leave campaign spent the UK's contribution to the EU (which is much smaller than the claimed £350M per week) many times over. They simply cannot keep all their promises.

StealthPolarBear Sat 25-Jun-16 00:37:54

I feel as though we are losing allies, alienating people who live here and the world will be a worse place for our children.
Maybe I'll perk up in the morning but rifht at the moment that's how I feel. I can usually be fairly laid back about this sort of thing, but not this one. OuT of the eu , trump in charge of America (?) Not a world I want to be in particularly

StealthPolarBear Sat 25-Jun-16 00:39:15

Snake surely as buyer it would be you thay would pull out? We are buying at the moment and I sent the people were buying from a text this morning, just a quick update but more a reassurance we're nt desperately trying to pull out

Kummerspeck Sat 25-Jun-16 00:42:34

It is unsettling and scary but we all need to stop panicking and wait. Hopefully very little will change and all these worries will come to nothing but, if they do we will face them and come through, as we always do.

I felt panicky this morning but then remembered my grandmother went through WW2 with 4 small children. If she can do that, we can all face this

StealthPolarBear Sat 25-Jun-16 00:48:53

I feel unsettled and scared. I wouldn't say I'm panicking. I'm sure there have been wrse times but that doesn't comfort me much now. And we are hardly living in peace and harmony ourselves.

Cosmiccreepers203 Sat 25-Jun-16 07:47:34

Nice to know others feel the same. I feel a bit calmer this morning. Hopefully it will all settle down this week. The mood felt quite ugly yesterday. I know that I felt like I was spoiling for a fight about it. We'll just have to see what comes. I don't think it helped that some who voted leave we're going on and on about how the good times are going to roll now. I just don't think that is true.

Cherrypi Sat 25-Jun-16 07:50:10

Just had a thought the Tory party will be more united now they're not fighting about the big eu question. That's a scary thought.

SusannahD Sat 25-Jun-16 07:55:18

Yesterday was horrible, I felt sick we are selling our house and I'm worried he will pull out of the sale not exchanged contracts yet.

vichill Sat 25-Jun-16 08:17:27

For me its the tragedy that people have signed their own death warrant and have no idea. As long as they get to gloat on FB, the fact no fucker has a plan doesn't matter. For example, when EU funding is pulled it will send rural areas back to the dark ages. Westminster hasn't doesn't and won't suddenly care about them. Its so sad places such as Wales and Cornwall bought leave on issues such as immigration (although they receive few migrants themselves) and they didn't consider they've been bankrolled by the EU for decades.

Cosmiccreepers203 Sat 25-Jun-16 08:29:07

vichill I think that's it. People have been lied to by the leave campaign but don't realise the extent of the lies yet. This vote won't stop unskilled labour coming into the UK. We'll have to accept the free movement of people as part of any trade deal. What it will stop is educated, skilled migrants coming in, like doctors, nurses, teachers etc. I was reading an article last night about how the vote is going to create an issue in recruiting foreign language teachers for schools. The impact on farming communities also can't be under estimated- both in subsidies and the possible lack of farmer labourers. I get a bit cross when you point out sensible things like this and then get told that you are a silly doomonger!

Cosmiccreepers203 Sat 25-Jun-16 08:31:26

I also think that if Scotland Ann Northern Island vote for independence, then Wales might do the same, once they've worked out that it's hard to get by without their EU subsidies.

ChipStix Sat 25-Jun-16 08:33:53

I was boiling with rage at work yesterday and had a good rant with a colleague at 8am before everyone else was in.

Now I am fearful and depressed. I'm so worried about our financial future and sad for European friends and neighbours who all seemed very shaken by the news.

Ginmakesitallok Sat 25-Jun-16 08:36:15

I'm worried about what it's going to mean for n ireland, which had finally seemed to be on its way to peace. sad

vichill Sat 25-Jun-16 08:41:59

and pat your head with a smug there there.
I'm also seeing a sense of regret amongst some leavers. My mil got upset last night when i said i had voted remain as a recession is inevitable. Her son, my DH has a week left of work, then has to look for a job in the banking sector. She admitted she hadn't thought of that with tears in her eyes. She felt as she had voted Ukip she had to see it through and vote out.

Cosmiccreepers203 Sat 25-Jun-16 08:58:45

Yeah, my mum is the same. She was very defensive yesterday and we had a bit of a row about it. She hasn't even thought about the fact that my sister is probably going to loose her job and will have to go abroad to find work. She told me I was being hysterical when I said I was concerned about the housing market.

YourPerception Sat 25-Jun-16 09:01:39

I have lived through lots of shit things it's made me resillient.

MajesticWhine Sat 25-Jun-16 09:01:51

I fear alienating people who live and work here. I also fear the huge divide in our society and how we can deal with this. I fear losing Scotland. And I am worried about fewer opportunities for my kids because of a diminishing economy and less investment in business, science, universities,

toriap2 Sat 25-Jun-16 09:04:08

The shares of the company I work for fell nearly 50% yesterday. I work for a major housebuilder so if we hit recession, I am stuffed. If the property market crashes, I am stuffed. If tax credits are cut, I am stuffed. I am a recent widow so my husbands pension has lost some of its value. I have a DD who wanted to study abroad to take advantage of the EU reseach programmes. She is stuffed.

forkhandles4candles Sat 25-Jun-16 13:33:54

I worry about my sector, universities. Cut off from EU funding and EU students, all looks rather grim.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now