Dutch & French calling for ref now. Euronews

(15 Posts)
Salene Fri 24-Jun-16 10:01:33

Just seen it on Euronews, Dutch and French PM calling for EU ref

Surely this it the start of the end of the EU

CathemeralChild Fri 24-Jun-16 10:10:55

Mark Rutte is the Dutch prime minster, and currently the EU president. He has definitely not called for a referendum. In fact, he made a statement this morning saying that it wasn't even up for discussion.
Geert Wilders keeps asking for a referendum. He's the leader of the extreme right and a lunatic.

Salene Fri 24-Jun-16 10:14:58

Sorry I should of said MP's not PM typo error on my part

LineyReborn Fri 24-Jun-16 10:16:09

That's one fuck of a typo.

Salene Fri 24-Jun-16 10:16:09

But if the public back it like happened in the uk can they keep dismissing it..?

LineyReborn Fri 24-Jun-16 10:16:26

Yes.

Salene Fri 24-Jun-16 10:16:44

Well I'm not perfect and I do make mistakes hmm

Salene Fri 24-Jun-16 10:17:13

What about the French ..?

CathemeralChild Fri 24-Jun-16 10:28:32

No idea about the French.

And can the Dutch keep dismissing it?
Yes. A Dutch referendum on EU membership would be unlawful. Referenda can only be held on new topics/ policies, not existing ones. They'd need to debate it in parliament and change the referenda laws first.

WhiskyTangoFoxtrot Fri 24-Jun-16 10:31:24

Yes, they would need to do some ground-clearing to permit it to happen (maybe even a referendum on whether there should be a referendum).

That makes it complex, but not impossible.

Salene Fri 24-Jun-16 10:32:56

So possible uncertain times across the whole of Europe then.?

SpringingIntoAction Fri 24-Jun-16 10:34:51

Yes. A Dutch referendum on EU membership would be unlawful. Referenda can only be held on new topics/ policies, not existing ones. They'd need to debate it in parliament and change the referenda laws first.

I find it quite horrific that the decision taken by one past Dutch Government can bind all Dutch Governments. That was one of my key problems with the EU. Had we stayed in I am sure we in the UK would have had similar restrictions placed on us by the EU.

It used to be a key tenet of our own democracy that no UK Government could bind a successive UK one.

I hope the Dutch demand their own freedom.

RortyCrankle Fri 24-Jun-16 10:41:10

Excellent if it happens, the sooner the whole rotten pile is dismantled the better.

electricflyzapper Fri 24-Jun-16 10:42:13

A Dutch referendum on EU membership would be unlawful. Referenda can only be held on new topics/ policies, not existing ones. They'd need to debate it in parliament and change the referenda laws first.

Really? That is horrifying. The scariest thing I have seen today, and today is quite a daunting day.

WhiskyTangoFoxtrot Fri 24-Jun-16 12:11:10

Thread yesterday on this too

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/eu_referendum_2016_/2668855-Holland-to-vote-on-having-their-own-EU-referendum-tomorrow

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now