Talk

Advanced search

I've abstained, have you?

(138 Posts)
TooMuchMNTime Thu 23-Jun-16 11:33:07

I went through my dithers here
I've opted to abstain

obviously I will just accept the result without comment!

Just curious to know if others have abstained?

wowfudge Thu 23-Jun-16 11:38:54

God no - I cannot envisage what would have to happen to prevent me voting. It's too important and it's one of the very few occasions in a lifetime where every single vote really counts.

CatherineDeB Thu 23-Jun-16 11:43:29

Definitely not, I was explaining to DD this morning that my vote actually really matters today, whereas until we get proportional representation in our governmental elections my vote generally means nothing because of how I vote and where I live.

Conniedescending Thu 23-Jun-16 11:47:28

I'm irrationally Angry at abstainers

Fgs this is the most important vote in so many years

There's a good argument for the undecided to vote remain as the status quo stays as is

notamummy10 Thu 23-Jun-16 11:48:51

Why would I abstain??

leopardspice Thu 23-Jun-16 11:50:04

Why have you chosen not to vote!!!!

Believeitornot Thu 23-Jun-16 11:50:06

Every vote counts.

Why are you dithering?

If you're dithering then you probably want things to stay as is? Not looking for change?

So vote remain surely.

Grumpysfirstwife Thu 23-Jun-16 11:54:05

angry you mustn't abstain I believe its absolutely wrong that you do that.

By all means spoil your paper but don't abstain you aren't passing on any message by not voting, you're just saying either 'I couldn't be bothered because it didn't matter to me' or 'you were too busy doing something else'.

It does absolutely not say 'I object/cant make a decision'. Please reconsider and go and put 2 crosses on your vote if you are undecided. Better still make a decision. Ask yourself what do I want in the future? The same (remain) or something else (leave)?

TooMuchMNTime Thu 23-Jun-16 11:54:14

I came to ask if anyone else was abstaining
I'm not dithering any more, I dithered on another thread from the weekend and decided to leave it

I was going to Brexit
I wonder if people will now be relieved I am abstaining grin

ProfessorBranestawm Thu 23-Jun-16 11:56:46

I agree, not voting isn't actually showing anyone anything. It's just 'not bothering to vote'. I'm a remainer but I'd still rather you voted. It's important, more so this time than ever I think.

Believeitornot Thu 23-Jun-16 11:58:06

Just vote!
This is the one election where the changes would be more widespread and long lasting than for a general election.

TooMuchMNTime Thu 23-Jun-16 11:58:18

Professor "I agree, not voting isn't actually showing anyone anything."

I have nothing to say and nothing to show.

I'm also guaranteed to lose my job if we Brexit. But I cannot vote Remain.

Believeitornot Thu 23-Jun-16 11:59:03

Why can't you vote remain if your job depends on it?

Makes no sense.

shutupandshop Thu 23-Jun-16 12:00:17

I can't get my head around non voters.

TooMuchMNTime Thu 23-Jun-16 12:00:37

Believe, my job is a contract job - it runs out anyway. So I'm guaranteed to lose it if we remain but there's no guarantee I will get a permanent job there either, they are doing redundancies.

anyway, I wouldn't vote for my job only if I really thought Brexit was better for the whole country. Brexit will generate jobs in itself.

BeginTheBeguine Thu 23-Jun-16 12:03:55

I spoiled my paper - first time ever and I do feel guilty.

But it never should have been a referendum. I didn't want to vote either way - I don't think I should have to vote either way. It was the only way I could square it with myself.

I wish there was an abstain option and that the positive votes had to be over a certain level for the referendum to count, but sadly it doesn't work like that.

themoomah Thu 23-Jun-16 12:04:01

People in this country died and suffered not so long ago so that you as a woman had the right to vote. You owe it to them to vote.
People all over the world right now are still dying and suffering in an attempt to be allowed to vote. You owe it to them to vote.
Not voting is moral cowardice.

RebootYourEngine Thu 23-Jun-16 12:04:21

I think that voting should be compulsory.

Voting is important.

If you dont want to stand in a voting queue do it by post.
If you dont want to vote spoil your paper.
Or maybe a new box added saying that you are abstaining.

EnthusiasmDisturbed Thu 23-Jun-16 12:05:12

I have considered spoiling my paper

Emochild Thu 23-Jun-16 12:06:00

Brexit will cost jobs, not create them!!!

Sigh

PrincessIrene Thu 23-Jun-16 12:06:39

Women DIED so you could vote. How utterly selfish to not get off your arse and do it.

EnthusiasmDisturbed Thu 23-Jun-16 12:07:55

we live in a democracy you can not force people to vote

we could apply a no vote but that is still forcing people to do something I am not sure that is the right thing to do

That1950sMum Thu 23-Jun-16 12:08:40

Everything Moomah said.

Cinnamon2013 Thu 23-Jun-16 12:09:14

Watch Suffragette (I know you know but still, watch it). Women fought and died for your right to vote.

TooMuchMNTime Thu 23-Jun-16 12:09:40

oh bloody hell
men died too you know
but they didn't do it to force me to vote
i can go along and spoil my paper
I don't understand it because it just creates pointless counting

but if it's really the done thing...? I've never not voted before. I can go and do that, I don't get it, but I can go and do that no problem.

someone else must have abstained - we were talking about it on my abstention thread...?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now