Talk

Advanced search

Without wanting to sound like one of the tin hat brigade....

(22 Posts)
WellErrr Thu 23-Jun-16 06:22:31

Does anyone else think that the result of this was decided months ago? I just can't help feeling that with so many wealthy people with something to lose, there's no way we'll come out.

I also believe that a Remain result will be the end of the NHS, which makes me so sad. But hey, at least Cameron will be happy...!

QueenLaBeefah Thu 23-Jun-16 06:24:11

No

Same sort of crap was said about the Scottish referendum too.

WellErrr Thu 23-Jun-16 06:24:29

TIN FOIL HAT.

Ffs

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 23-Jun-16 06:24:33

what would be the mechanism of it being rigged? We have one of the most unriggable systems in the world.

WhirlwindHugs Thu 23-Jun-16 06:26:28

No, of course not.

Remain won't be the end of the NHS either, all the big campaign funders who do want to get rid of the NHS are on Leave's side!

If you're thinking of TTIP, TTIP has been fought from inside the EU very successfully over the last few years. The EU has much better bargaining powers as a large trading bloc which is why it is able to do this. If you want to fight TTIP vote for MEPs who are anti-TTIP rather than voting Leave and making our country smaller and more vulnerable.

Hamishandthefoxes Thu 23-Jun-16 06:27:16

Each vote is being counted by 3 separate people in the district area. The votes are then sent to a county area where they are counted again. Finally, all votes are sent to Manchester for a final recount. I don't think it would be easy to rig at allhmm.

Also fwiw, Gove is anti-NHS so I reckon we have much better chance of keeping it if we stay,

captainproton Thu 23-Jun-16 06:34:24

Genuinely confused if we vote leave we still have David Cameron as prime minister or does it mean he will stand down? Do we get a general election or just a Tory leadership battle? Shouldn't we have a general election? Maybe get rid of the whole lot of them?

WellErrr Thu 23-Jun-16 06:37:26

Cameron is anti-NHS too. He absolutely wants it gone.

Brussels don't want us to have the NHS either, they want all member states eventually to be the same.

WhirlwindHugs Thu 23-Jun-16 06:41:49

TTIP has been fought from inside the EU very successfully over the last few years. The EU has much better bargaining powers as a large trading bloc which is why it is able to do this. If you want to fight TTIP vote for MEPs who are anti-TTIP rather than voting Leave and making our country smaller and more vulnerable.

The conservative party might decide to change leader after today, but we would not be allowed to vote and we would not have a general election. It would be decided amongst the Tories and then we would have a new prime minister. They would then stay until the next GE in several years time.

I don't like Cameron but I don't believe we'd get a better prime minister if he was made to resign.

WhirlwindHugs Thu 23-Jun-16 06:44:51

Sorry, formatting fail there. Meant to copy and past that to a different thread you were scaremongering about the NHS on WellErr.

Hipe that answers your question about Cameron though Captain!

WhirlwindHugs Thu 23-Jun-16 06:45:12

Hope... Jeez it's too early for this!

YourPerception Thu 23-Jun-16 07:16:45

The BBC has been biased towards stay as was the ch4 programme last night. Is that what you mean propaganda?

Justchanged Thu 23-Jun-16 07:39:57

No. All this shows is that Leavers tend to be conspiracy theorists who believe someone (usually a foreigner) is out to get them.

WellErrr Thu 23-Jun-16 07:57:37

I'm not scaremongering. Given the information that's truly my belief.

And thanks for the veiled 'all Leave voters are thick and racist' comment there Just <yawn>

KleineDracheKokosnuss Thu 23-Jun-16 08:12:28

Given what information?

merrymouse Thu 23-Jun-16 08:22:04

Why would remain end the NHS?

The magic £350 million doesn't exist

The UK government are the ones pushing TTIP in the EU so they are hardly likely to negotiate a different deal outside the EU.

We have another 4 years of conservative government.

All groups recognise that there would be economic instability and lower tax receipts post Brexit and nobody is predicting that would be turned around any time soon.

scaryteacher Thu 23-Jun-16 08:32:51

www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/eu-referendum-too-many-part-time-europeans-are-diluting-an-ever-closer-union-claims-jean-claude-a7095966.html was interesting. Shouldn't elected politicians be listening to their national electorate, as opposed to the Eurocrats (they do exist, I've met some of them).

merrymouse Thu 23-Jun-16 08:48:02

The thing about Eurocrats is that they can only do anything with the agreement of the member states. They can't force the UK to do anything.

Regardless of the outcome of the referendum, the U.K. Parliament can vote to leave at any time, as can any other country.

In reality 'Brussels' is a group of countries who have to pay attention to their electorate.

BurnTheBlackSuit Thu 23-Jun-16 09:02:44

Hamishandthefoxes-
You are completely wrong!

The polling boxes and postal votes will be counted in your local constituency. First, they will be verified to check the number in the box is the number that was given out at the polling station (and triple checked if it doesn't agree and the number recorded). This will also give the turnout. Then the votes will be divided into three piles- remain, leave and other (blank, spoilt paper, ambiguous marks, identifying marks, anything that isn't one cross in the correct box). Then the piles will be counted into piles of 10 by one person and their counting checked by a second person. (There will be many pairs of people doing this in each consituancy). The others will be checked and decided by someone from both campaigns to check if they are a valid vote and if they are who for (and if they are, added to remain or leave). The numbers will be added up to check the agree with the votes cast in the verification process. Then the consituancy will have their final numbers- say 10,000 leave and 10,000 remain and 50 spoilt papers. The votes will not be counted again, unless a recount is called for,

These numbers will be given to the region (not the voting papers, just the figures) and will be added to all other constancy numbers in the region to give regional totals. The regional total will then be given to Manchester and added to that of all the other regions to give country-wide totals of leave or remain (and spoilt)

In the mean time, the journalists will be adding up the constituency totals (and sharing them) as they come in and keep everyone informed of the running total- so no one has to wait until Manchester reveals the numbers to know the outcome, except officially (unless it is very very very close...)

Glamourgates Thu 23-Jun-16 09:16:51

Rich people all want to Remain?
Look at the Wikipedia page of Arron Banks who has funded a lot of the Leave campaign.

oldharrysgame Thu 23-Jun-16 09:21:51

Don't be fecking ridiculous. Vote. Accept the result.

bacimamma Thu 23-Jun-16 13:19:08

"I also believe that a Remain result will be the end of the NHS, which makes me so sad."

You believe?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now