Talk

Advanced search

'Don't give away what we fought for' WW2 veterans asks Brits to vote to leave

(8 Posts)
BritBrit Tue 21-Jun-16 07:34:33

WW2 veterans have asked Brits to vote to leave the EU saying don't give away what they fought for.

'We saved Europe once and now we can do it again by voting Leave'

www.thesun.co.uk/news/politics/1313861/wwii-vets-plead-with-brits-dont-give-away-what-we-fought-for-urging-voters-to-back-brexit/

MrsBlackthorn Tue 21-Jun-16 08:17:26

And here's an equal number of veterans arguing for Remain: www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/watch-world-war-two-heroes-7928408

"four Second World War veterans have warned that Britain should stay in the EU or otherwise risk the stability in Europe that they fought to ensure."

"Harry Leslie Smith, David Meylan, Patrick Churchill and Field Marshal Lord Bramall all represented their country during the Second World War and each insists that the future prosperity of the UK is best served by Britain retaining its EU membership."

FraggleMountain Tue 21-Jun-16 08:42:12

Thanks Mrs smile

MrsBlackthorn Tue 21-Jun-16 09:16:59

My grandmother lived through the Nazis and her father fought at the Somme. She is the most fervent Remainer I know - says it's the greatest testament to peace in Europe we have and we throw it away at our peril.

BertrandRussell Tue 21-Jun-16 09:21:33

Bollocks.

Quiero Tue 21-Jun-16 09:24:14

Of all the things I've seen and heard, that is the biggest pile of shit I've read. Piri Patel has clearly gone insane.

There is so much wrong with that, I don't even know where to start. The sooner this fucking referendum is over the better angry

Spinflight Wed 22-Jun-16 05:11:59

Four of them eh?

Last time I checked on arrse ( Army Rumour SErvice, a forum for veterans) about 75% were voting Leave and 90% thought that staying in the EU would seriously compromise our security in the long term.

mpsw Wed 22-Jun-16 07:45:44

I agree that peace and security are reinforced by co-operation.

But the EU is not the only possible form of co-operation.

We don't stand to lose peace in our time. It's a strawman argument for Remain.

Along with the idea that there would be weaker defence cooperation, when there will be zero impact on NATO.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now