Changing sterling to dollars - do before Thursday?

(8 Posts)
happygoluckylady Mon 20-Jun-16 10:39:34

Just that really. Like others have a US trip planned for later this summer and wondering if it's wise to change money in advance of the vote. Thoughts?

MrsBlackthorn Mon 20-Jun-16 11:36:26

Radio 4's Money Box advised changing them now if you're travelling in next few weeks, but waiting to see if any later than that.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Mon 20-Jun-16 11:38:16

Is that the same for changing sterling to euros do you think?

LuckySantangelo1 Mon 20-Jun-16 11:45:57

Yes. Do it now as the rate will likely crash if we Brexit.

Mistigri Mon 20-Jun-16 11:49:35

Sterling has risen sharply this morning, so if you are travelling soon it might be the time to buy.

You have to weigh up the risk in both directions. If there is a remain vote on Thursday, the pound may rise further; if there is a leave vote it may drop sharply.

Depends how risk averse you are and the sums concerned. My DH is holding off changing several thousand dollars into euros, because he'd get a chunky bonus in the event of a leave vote. If the vote is for remain we'll be poorer (but happier).

Notbigandnotclever Mon 20-Jun-16 11:54:35

We are waiting. No idea if that's the right thing or not but meh. We've paid for most of the holiday it's spending money mainly.

AdelindSchade Mon 20-Jun-16 18:33:39

I'm thinking I might spread the risk. Buy some euros now just in case and take the risk with the other half that it might recover..

lalalonglegs Mon 20-Jun-16 19:26:39

Ha - I changed quite a lot some over the weekend as we are going to the States in August and the bloody pound has rallied angry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now