Talk

Advanced search

UK and EU authorities refuse FOI request to release information about who has been lobbying them on the referendum and related issues and what they might have said?

(4 Posts)
bkgirl Sun 19-Jun-16 02:39:49

This secrecy is so undemocratic and well...a bit shady. Shouldn’t we all be as well-informed as possible about the interactions behind-the-scenes between lobby groups and decision-makers?
Under UK freedom of information rules, CEO wanted to find out a couple of things. Firstly, how a handful of financial industry lobby groups (which feature in our recent UK finance lobby firepower report) have been lobbying on the UK referendum and the EU-level negotiations which proceeded it; and secondly how the same groups have been lobbying the UK government on the EU’s Capital Markets Union. The CMU is a sweeping agenda for deregulation intended mainly to expand the trade in “securities”, the very financial products that played a key role in causing the financial crisis of 2008, and which are very dominant in the UK’s City of London. The CMU itself could even be seen as a sweetener to the UK, to maintain its EU membership.

corporateeurope.org/power-lobbies/2016/06/lobbying-uk-referendum-freedom-information-black-hole

bkgirl Sun 19-Jun-16 02:42:10

I think we need transparency and clear information.True information not misleading announcements.

Patapouf Sun 19-Jun-16 03:00:45

You get to have your say next week.

I have literally run out of fucks to give about the referendum

bkgirl Sun 19-Jun-16 03:03:59

LOL Patapouf then stop torturing yourself by looking at the EU ref threads smile
I know what you mean but it's the responsiblity of getting it right for our kids that drives us.
Personally, I just freaked out at the thought of the euro army and national service. I detest wars, guns, violence and my son is 16. It just terrifies me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now