Talk

Advanced search

Mail on Sunday backs Remain [***Title edited by MNHQ on receipt of reports. Warning: Art Attack contained herein. If you're familiar with the work of Lucian Freud you'll know it's uninhibitedly fleshy]

(102 Posts)
claig Sat 18-Jun-16 22:17:57

Never thought much of its editor. Love Dacre on the Daily Mail.

ozymandiusking Sat 18-Jun-16 22:21:14

I think you are mistaken. The Mail on Sunday does not back the remain in Eu campaign.

BritBrit Sat 18-Jun-16 22:22:08

very strange, does anyone know why the Mail on Sunday is remain but the Daily Mail is leave

claig Sat 18-Jun-16 22:28:19

Daily Mail is run by a real Tory , Paul Dacre, from Leeds University, whom the progressives dislike.

Geordie Greig, Mail on Sunday, is Eton and Oxford, friend to the royals. When I heard that he spent years researching and writing a biography of Lucien Freud, I instantly knew he was a metropolitan elite progressive and not what I would call a real Tory like the formidable Paul Dacre, who scares the bejesus out of the progressives in standing up for the people.

claig Sat 18-Jun-16 22:32:45

Jonathan Powell, Tony Blair's former chief of staff, said on Sky News a few years back that "the paper the politicians are scaed of is the Daily Mail". I don't think any of them are scared of the Mail on Sunday with Etonian Geordie at the helm.

BurnTheBlackSuit Sat 18-Jun-16 22:44:30

confused I always thought the Mail on Sunday was just the Sunday edition of the Daily Mail, so the same paper?

claig Sat 18-Jun-16 22:47:15

No, it is all down to the editor. Dacre gives the political class the heebie jeebies in standing up for the people, Eton and Oxford Geodie is more like a pussycat for them.

YourPerception Sat 18-Jun-16 22:49:52

I am surprised by this.

HugoBear Sat 18-Jun-16 22:51:48

Industry insiders put the difference in opinion between the DM & MoS down to the absolute hatred between the two editors. If one said was day, the other would say it was night.

claig Sat 18-Jun-16 23:04:12

'I am surprised by this.'

Etablishment stick together. The Daily Mail is not Establishment, Dacre scares them, he is for the people.

disappoint15 Sat 18-Jun-16 23:10:59

Will you stop this 'for the people' nonsense, claig? It's so embarrassingly wrong. We are all the people.

StepAwayFromTheThesaurus Sat 18-Jun-16 23:16:56

In what universe is Paul dacre not part of 'the establishment'? hmm

Pooka Sat 18-Jun-16 23:22:08

Will you stop this 'for the people' nonsense, claig? It's so embarrassingly wrong. We are all the people.

^ this

HugoBear Sat 18-Jun-16 23:23:22

Dacre only got a job on a newspaper because his dad was a journalist before him.

Peter Dacre was a show business journalist for the Express during WW2. I think he spent most of his time writing articles about how Shirley Temple looked 'all grown up' and criticising Gracie Fields for her weight.

claig Sat 18-Jun-16 23:33:51

'Will you stop this 'for the people' nonsense, claig?'

When I use 'people', I use it in the strict sense of anti-establishment i.e. the people as opposed to the establishment. That is what the Daily Mail reader is, that is why they read the Daily Mail and like Dacre more than Geordie Greig. I don't mean all of the people, just people as opposed to the Establishment.

claig Sat 18-Jun-16 23:36:11

'Dacre only got a job on a newspaper because his dad was a journalist before him.'

But he turned the Daily Mail round and made it the paper that "the politicians fear" as Jonathan Powell, Blair's Chief of Staff, said. It is now the paper of Middle England and is the paper that is most in opposition to the metropolitan elite.

YourPerception Sat 18-Jun-16 23:37:48

I don't look at the mail because I am a rebel. I look because I am a sado that likes the sidebar of shame. blushgrin

BankWadger Sat 18-Jun-16 23:40:14

Claig stop cluttering up active convos with your sensationalist titles and crawl back under your rock. It's bloody boring.

claig Sat 18-Jun-16 23:41:53

Yes, lots of people do that too.

I am amazed how popular the Mail is starting to become in the US. I hear lots of political commentators and libertarian figures quoting the Daily Mail. Lew Rockwell said "the Daily Mail is my favourite paper". Well done to the Daily Mail, it looks like it may be able to clean up in America the way it has done here.

claig Sat 18-Jun-16 23:43:07

'Claig stop cluttering up active convos with your sensationalist titles'

I am informing people that the Mail on Sunday has come out for Remain. That is big news. If you aren't interested, don't read the thread.

YourPerception Sat 18-Jun-16 23:43:33

The Kardashian show references the mailonline.

timetobackout Sat 18-Jun-16 23:43:58

Times is for remain ,Sunday Times is for leave

Pigeonpost Sat 18-Jun-16 23:45:39

The Daily Fail has cleared up the uk has it? Sorry love but I think you're on the wrong website for praising that particular newspaper....

claig Sat 18-Jun-16 23:46:32

'Times is for remain ,Sunday Times is for leave'

That is interesting. I had heard about the Times, but not the Sunday Times.

'The Kardashian show references the mailonline.'

Good news for the Mail grin

claig Sat 18-Jun-16 23:48:30

'The Daily Fail has cleaned up the uk has it?'

Cleaned up in the UK. It is Britain's second biggest selling newspaper after the Sun, which is not what you can really call a very serious newspaper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now