Talk

Advanced search

We've been asked to phone a friend...

(6 Posts)
Skrewt Sun 12-Jun-16 14:57:41

in the UK and tell them to vote against a Brexit. shock
I'm in Ireland and was listening to the radio this morning and heard this. My UK friends and family are generally educated, smart and will have formed their opinions by now. I'm more than a little shock at the implication that anyone will change their mind following a persuasive phone call from me! DH thinks I am being unhelpful as a Brexit will hurt Ireland. I don't doubt that but don't think it is my place to lecture family and friends (who I'm pretty sure are mostly in the against camp anyway).
What do you think?

Heratnumber7 Sun 12-Jun-16 14:59:07

Agree. In the politest possible way, it's nothing to do with you, or Obama.

PausingFlatly Sun 12-Jun-16 15:03:00

Agree with you completely.

Though I don't agree that it's absolutely nothing to do with you (or Obama), as the result will affect you, and also it's fair does for you to say how you will react to either result.

But I think that's as far as you can reasonably go.

claig Sun 12-Jun-16 15:24:27

'We've been asked to phone a friend...'

May I ask who asked you to do this? Was it someone high up in the UK Remain campaign? Was this what the Americans call a robocall to random numbers in Ireland from a UK line?

A4Document Sun 12-Jun-16 18:13:38

Irish urged to 'phone-a-friend' in UK to warn against perils of Brexit

"The “phone-a-friend” social media campaign has been launched by the European Movement Ireland, an independent European advocacy group based in Dublin."

"Alastair Campbell, the former Downing Street spin-doctor, endorsed the campaign last month in a speech in Dublin in which he urged an audience of senior Irish businessmen to make a personal resolution to recruit one UK-Irish voter to the ‘remain’ camp every single day."

claig Sun 12-Jun-16 18:18:06

Thanks, A4Document, interesting

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now