Talk

Advanced search

Vote with your gut

(9 Posts)
Bookaboo Fri 10-Jun-16 13:02:39

This is what my colleagues are saying, which I completely disagree with. If you're not going to make an effort to do some research and try to weigh up all the information that's out there, you're better off not voting at all.
On the one hand, people agree that there's so much misinformation out there, but on the other they seem quite happy to cherry pick the sound bites that suit them.
It bothers me that many people will vote based on this 'gut feeling', rather than making a considered decision.

dogchewedtoy1 Fri 10-Jun-16 13:05:09

Well each person gets a vote and is entitled to do with it what they want. If you want to do loads of research go for it, but to say your colleagues can't employ a different approach is ridiculous. Is it because they are coming out with an opinion that differs from yours, because if they concluded the same as you, just using their guts, then that would be OK wouldn't it?

Hockeydude Fri 10-Jun-16 13:12:22

Nobody knows the full consequences of voting either way, the Internet is full of random guesses. Voting with your gut is as scientific as any method on this occasion. Yabu.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Fri 10-Jun-16 13:16:09

YABU.

It's what Martin Lewis says.

No one knows the consequences of Brexit.

Neither does anyone know what at staying in the EU will look like other than the very immediate future.

Bookaboo Fri 10-Jun-16 13:23:32

* Is it because they are coming out with an opinion that differs from yours, because if they concluded the same as you, just using their guts, then that would be OK wouldn't it?*
No, their conclusion is irrelevant. It is the decision making process, or lack of it, that I am criticising.

nobody knows the consequences of voting either way
You could apply that to many decisions we make in life, we can't predict the future. That doesn't mean we just toss a coin. We make a judgement based on the information we have available.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Fri 10-Jun-16 13:29:16

You're not talking about just tossing a coin. You're talking about going with your personal gut instinct.

kinkytoes Fri 10-Jun-16 13:39:06

Going with your gut seems to me to be a lot better than siding with or against certain personalities i.e. Cameron or Johnson. Can't believe what I've seen on social media. What a shit way to make a decision!

Winterbiscuit Fri 10-Jun-16 14:07:57

I think there's room for both facts and "gut feeling".

How we feel about being part of the EU or not is important because our quality of life connects to our feelings, not just hard facts. We have human feelings about the facts, what they mean, and how we'd choose to prioritise them for the good not only of ourselves, but for everyone else now and in the future.

A computer can make decisions on facts alone, but we are human beings.

Bookaboo Fri 10-Jun-16 23:44:48

i think there's room for both facts and "gut feeling
Course there is, but don't you 'test out' a gut feeling on real world information?
You have a gut feeling about whether or not to buy a house, but you don't proceed on that alone, you base your eventual decision on information from the surveyor etc..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now