bananabrain35 Wed 08-Jun-16 21:30:18

It was on the BBC tonight - it's in 2 parts

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9kZR7EPv7g

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHoyjj29_Jo

Spinflight Wed 08-Jun-16 22:06:56

Ouch,

What a car crash.

PortiaCastis Wed 08-Jun-16 23:25:30

Ouch! I love Andrew Neil, he had Gideon squirming and for that I thank him.

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Wed 08-Jun-16 23:29:08

Thanks for that.

Spinflight Thu 09-Jun-16 00:38:47

Well any idea Osborne had of ever being pm just died a death.

Surely the primary job of the Chancellor is to instil confidence in the economy, I doubt anyone could claim he did his job or managed to instil confidence in his own ability.

Claiming that Neil was quoting a passage out of context when the context couldn't be clearer was genuinely awkward to watch.

He just doesn't get it.

bananabrain35 Thu 09-Jun-16 12:49:15

Yes I agree with you Spinflight - Theresa May is starting to look quite smart - reluctantly giving support for the IN campaign, but making sure she's not out there, and let GO shoot himself in the foot, revealing just how little charisma and appeal he has. Maybe we are going to have another woman PM in the event of a Remain win?

George Osborne looks very out of touch with real people.

shitchef Thu 09-Jun-16 12:56:43

How long does it last roughly and is it on iplayer please?

GO is very quiet about the improved manufacturing figures isn't he?

I wonder why? hmm

www.theguardian.com/business/economics-blog/2016/jun/08/why-upbeat-uk-manufacturing-figures-have-silenced-osborne-increase-production-eu

dogchewedtoy1 Thu 09-Jun-16 13:11:55

I watched this interview - Andrew Neil nailed Osborne. It lasts 30mins shitchef and I think it's on you tube (see links above) and on the BBC.

Farage is up next.....Andrew Neil is interviewing people from both sides.

Spinflight Thu 09-Jun-16 13:19:09

I'm quite interested in his constant insistence that the economy would suffer, but wondered where it would suffer.

Interesting facts.. 26% of all exports are from either London or the south east. Not to mention 40% of imports. Presumably given the geography these are mainly to and from the EU.

By comparison Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland account for 6.5% of imports.

Rather unbalanced what?

So... Just how much of the economy are we talking about? Or seems that for every £150 of our gdp £1 is accounted for in trade to the EU. Considerably less than 1% and then mainly from the South and East.

When Osborne is talking about the economy it seems he isn't being very honest. He is talking about his London based chums almost exclusively, though I think the popular perception is that London gets rather too good a deal at the expense of the rest of the country.

Indeed this may explain why his 600 economists responded, which was only 17% of the total asked. Perchance these 17% were the ones who lived in London?

shitchef Thu 09-Jun-16 13:32:14

Thanks dogchew.

dogchewedtoy1 Thu 09-Jun-16 13:36:22

Oh but Georgie is building a wonderful fast train line to connect the North and South and it's going to solve all the problems we have with an unbalanced economy.

The Government says it will cost £42.6 billion to build, plus £7.5bn for the trains, in 2011 prices.

Wonderful! hmm

shitchef Thu 09-Jun-16 13:42:04

Great, so house prices can go crazy up north as well due to long distance commuters.
hmm

I guess making houses unaffordable across more areas in the country is one way of rebalancing the economy.

dogchewedtoy1 Thu 09-Jun-16 13:47:46

making houses unaffordable across more areas in the country is one way of rebalancing the economy.

I can see that line written across a whiteboard in Westminster! grin

shitchef Thu 09-Jun-16 14:27:15

Yes I wish 'Yes Minister' was still going - they could build a whole episode around that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now