Mums set to vote for Brexit

(129 Posts)
BritBrit Tue 24-May-16 07:29:07

Latest polling shows mums will vote for Brexit (46% leave vs 37% stay) because the EU is damaging family life & particularly harming children through overcrowded schools & hospitals due to immigration. It also says mums are concerned about security & terrorism.

So mums on here do you agree with this? are you worried about the impact of immigration in your children?

www.express.co.uk/news/uk/673087/EU-family-UK-mothers-Brexit-children-referndum

WidowWadman Tue 24-May-16 07:43:32

More xenophobic hysteria.

lavenderdoilly Tue 24-May-16 07:57:55

Not me. I'm not an Express hysteric.

Kelandry Tue 24-May-16 08:03:10

I guess I'm a hysterical racist then, because I want out. But that's probably due to my lack of education or because I've never travelled hmm

Haggisfish Tue 24-May-16 08:05:09

Hahaha-I think it's less the eu and more the Tory bastards running the country killing family time!! I'm def for staying in so the Tories can't erode all the working regulations that mean we can't be as overworked and underpaid as they'd like.

Haggisfish Tue 24-May-16 08:06:30

And that is an incredibly patronising op. 'Mums' set to vote, as though we are some sort of homogenous group. Tosh.

Blerg Tue 24-May-16 08:07:50

Nope. I quite like maternity pay as just a Mum wink

Unicorn1981 Tue 24-May-16 08:09:15

I really don't know which way to go. I think we could be worse off if we exit then we can't do anything about it but if we stay then I worry about immigration and further risks of terrorism. Although terrorists will find a way if they are that determined. I'd like to see some arguments for and against to help me decide as I really don't have a clue about politics!

ChristianGreysAnatomy Tue 24-May-16 08:10:26

Odfod. As if mumz all thought the same and as if dadz didn't care about family time or terrorism. Duh.

LineyReborn Tue 24-May-16 08:10:40

There's a polling type thread on here that shows quite the opposite, so stick that up your tabloid arse.

PausingFlatly Tue 24-May-16 08:13:25

Perfectly possible to want out and still think much of the out campaign is patronising, hysterical xenophobic drivel.

Dontyouopenthattrapdoor Tue 24-May-16 08:13:35

That's quite a punchy writing style you've got there BritBrit. Ever considered making a career out of it?

NapoleonsNose Tue 24-May-16 08:14:37

I was just coming on to say the same as Liney. That thread shows a rough 2/3 to 1/3 for Remain. I wouldn't believe anything in the Express and I wouldn't be surprised if they've managed to weave Princess Di and an impending heatwave into the story somewhere too!

ArgyMargy Tue 24-May-16 08:15:52

Odfod! Mumz bollox

PresidentCJCregg Tue 24-May-16 08:16:58

And how are 'the dads' voting then? Cos they also have kids and stuff y'know.

Luckyfuckyducky Tue 24-May-16 08:17:26

I agree - I'm voting out. I'm neither racist or xenophobic. I am concerned about TTIP and the impact that has on our NHS, economy, and safety of products. I'm concerned about Turkey joining the EU. Our country literally cannot cope with the volume of people and the pressure to schools and hospitals. I don't think leaving is an easy option, but I'm more concerned about the forthcoming trade agreement & new EU members to remain in.

LineyReborn Tue 24-May-16 08:18:15

Oh God yes, Napoleon, how would Diana vote??!

willconcern Tue 24-May-16 08:18:24

No.

HildurOdegard Tue 24-May-16 08:19:38

To the person who says they choose remain so they get eu maternity leave - allow me to pose a few questions
1) how much maternity leave do women get in Belgium?
2) how much maternity leave do women get in the Netherlands?
3) what do you know about universal vat rates?

Like the investment ads say, it may go up or down.

As for the woman voting against "evil Tories", how silly. You get to vote your UK government every five years. Eu mandates are for life whether you like them or not.

That is hysteria - voting without thinking.

PausingFlatly Tue 24-May-16 08:30:52

Hildur, could you give us the information, rather than just posing stuff as questions and then walking away?

Because that's the sort of trick that's annoying me about the Brexit campaigners (and probably the Leaves as well, although I haven't noticed them at it as much).

Often when I take the time to chase up the cryptic Qs or click the ominously trailed link, I find there's nothing alarming there - or it says the opposite of what the poster intimated. So it was all just a technique to generate Fear Uncertainty and Doubt.

So if you have something you'd like us to know and a point you'd like us take from it, could you please just say them.

Kelandry Tue 24-May-16 08:31:36

Someone writes an article saying MUMS will vote out.
Op comes on MUMSnet to ask if the MUMS on here agree with the views in the article and gets flamed because she herself isn't asking about dads, even though the article is about the views of mums!!

BritBrit Tue 24-May-16 08:34:06

I am a bit confused why people are saying the EU gives maternity rights. Maternity rights were first introduced in 1911 & the UK introduced a specific law in 1975 (not EU related) and also current UK maternity pay under UK law is the 2nd best in the EU providing more money & more time off than EU law provides

PausingFlatly Tue 24-May-16 08:35:08

BTW, I'm not saying that you're deliberately doing FUD in that particular post. I'm fed up of all the posts like this.

It does not inspire confidence when people post cryptic questions rather than just telling us the facts.

SolomanDaisy Tue 24-May-16 08:38:42

Thank God the Express has stepped in, because I have somehow been missed off the Mums mass decision making email list. I must have gone to Iceland while it was being sent. Without their article I wouldn't have realised that as a mother I am automatically a self centred, easily manipulated, xenophobe.

stealthsquiggle Tue 24-May-16 08:40:30

LOL at "That's quite a punchy writing style you've got there BritBrit. Ever considered making a career out of it?"

Yes. That. 1/10 for subtlety. I just hope we get a good turn out so that the non-hysterical on both sides are in a majority.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now