Talk

Advanced search

Do you guys think a debate on TV with both sides choosing their 3 "best people" to debate their point is a good idea?

(9 Posts)
RTKangaMummy Wed 04-May-16 23:22:18

IMHO a TV live debate with each side choosing who they think will best put their PoV across whether they be politicians, business or lawyers or whoever they think are the best people to put their point across against the other side

That way we can have them argue their points and say what is wrong with other side etc

We might then get to hear the good and bad things for in or out

I realise that I am taking a very simple view on this and am very naive about the details of both campaigns but I think this way both sides can put their ideas out there to the public

Winterbiscuit Thu 05-May-16 16:58:03

Yes, I do think TV debates are a good idea. I remember the leaders TV debate before the last general election, and am enjoying the Brexit discussions which come up on Question Time and other programmes.

BBC to air three EU referendum debates including one at Wembley Arena

The BBC are planning three debates, including one at Wembley arena 2 days before the referendum.

Firstly, a debate presented by Victoria Derbyshire on 19th May in Glasgow, aimed more at younger voters.

Next, on 15th June, there will be a Question Time special, including "one senior advocate from each side" according to the BBC.

And on 21st June: "Today presenter Mishal Husain and Newsnight’s Emily Maitlis will join Dimbleby for what the corporation claims is its biggest ever campaign event where thousands of voters will be at Wembley Arena to question representatives from the leave and remain camps."

All major UK broadcasters pushing for televised EU referendum debates

Sky News, Channel 4 and ITV would also like to air TV debates.

STIDW Fri 06-May-16 19:18:20

Not really, they seem to bring out the worst in people. I find watching the scrutiny of select committees far more informative. Although that can be quite long they go into far more detail.

Winterbiscuit Fri 06-May-16 23:42:15

How do you watch the scrutiny of a select committee?

STIDW Sat 07-May-16 01:29:08

Typo. blush

Should have read scrutiny by select committee.

Winterbiscuit Sat 07-May-16 12:10:26

Should have read scrutiny by select committee.

OK - well it's a genuine question, I wasn't picking up on a typo! How do you watch the scrutiny by select committee?

Mistigri Sat 07-May-16 14:59:30

You can find bits of Boris's embarrassing select committee appearance on YouTube (I can't see a full version sadly), eg

youtu.be/w21s5r2nTlA

youtu.be/MykkoTAu9NA

The details of his exchanges with Andrew Tyrie and Rachel Reeves was quite widely reported in the print media.

I would be in favour of a debate if they got Tyrie in to moderate it, as he wouldn't take any shit from either side.

Mistigri Sat 07-May-16 15:03:52

And here is Dominic Cummings' select committee appearance, which is even more compulsive (in a masochistic way) viewing than Boris's

youtu.be/fJjShkGCa4c

SpringingIntoAction Sat 07-May-16 17:49:30

No, I would like to see Cameron going head to head with someone who was passionate about leaving (like BernardJenkin).

If Cameron's bluster and obfuscation in front of the EU Referendum Committee last Wednesday was anything to go by it would be great viewing watching him squirm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now