Where can I find the facts/pros/cons for staying and leaving?(6 Posts)
When the general election was on there was a "how should I vote?" website which gave unbiased facts about each political party and their agendas.
Is there something similar for brexit? I simply don't feel informed enough to make a decision at the moment and want some plan old facts/info that isn't heavily swung in one direction or the other.
In the same boat as you OP. Looking for the facts to make an informed decision, not speculation, not opinion, not spin from the government. I need cold, hard, facts!!
Unfortunately most of the benefits/costs analysis tends to be unhelpful because many of the benefits & costs are difficult to quantify so the analysis is based on assumptions. So deciding how to vote isn't easy.
Full Fact impartially examines the facts claims made by both sides;
Vote Leave the "official" Brexit campaign makes it's case here;
In Facts makes a "fact based case" to Remain;
Hope that helps!
To me its a simple choice between living in a country that is sovereign or living in a country must follow laws made by the EU.
A sovereign country can:
1) make its own laws
2) control its own trade
3) defend itself
4) raise its own taxes
5) control its own borders
If you cannot do all of these without the interference of another power (the EU) then you are not a sovereign country.
I want to live in a country that is able to decide all those important things for itself - without EU interference, working in co-operation with our neighbours but permitted to trade freely with the rest of the world. That's why I am voting LEAVE.
There are many sites that will give you information on trade, housing, migration, economy, NHS etc etc.
But these are just statistics. it's really down to the individual to interpret them and to have the vision to wonder what the future would be like depending on whether we REMAIN in or LEAVE the EU.
Message withdrawn at poster's request.
A sovereign country can:
1) make its own laws and decide to get rid of benefits in order to create a low wage society that would be necessary to encourage inward investment
2) control its own trade subject to agreements with the countries it trades with, which will be negotiating in their own interests
3) defend itself unless attacked by a stronger country or one with more allies
4) raise its own taxes, because we all love taxes
5) control its own borders, as we do at the moment as we are not in Schengen
While we remain in the EU we are not a soveeign country.
1) The EU is reducing wages in this country through the free movement of people that creates a pool of cheap labour. Once we BREXIT, wages will increase. Lord Rose from the REMAIN campaign confirmed that.
2) control its own trade subject to agreements with the countries it trades with, which will be negotiating in their own interests - BRING IT ON! - I can't wait to have my country negotiating in its own interests instead of accepting a one-size-fits-all-28-EU-member-countries deal, negotiated by someone else (the EU) who does not have the UK's interests uppermost. What's not to like?
3) Our membership of NATO provides our defence. I don't want to be in a 'trading organisation' that is seeking to have its own Army. No thank you.
4) Let's be pedantic - can raise or lower its own taxes. Can set its own range of VAT and charge VAT on what it wants to - instead of having to plead with the EU to remove tax on Tampax . Why on earth did we allow another organisation to control our tax laws - madness
5) Controlling borders is more than just flashing your passport at Heathrow as the REMAINers would like you to think. Controlling the borders to your country means controlling who you want to be able to come to live here because they have the skills your country needs instead of any EU citizen deciding to come and live in the EU, who may not even have skills we need. It's about being able to deport foreign criminal at the end of their jail sentences - something the EU's court stops us doing regularly.
When the EU's court can order you to let foreign criminals live in your country - you are not controlling your borders at all. You have lost control.
And the only way to take back control of our country and regain the sovereign and self-determination we need to make UK laws that suit the UK is to LEAVE the EU
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.