Where are the women?

(7 Posts)
thebiscuitindustry Fri 04-Mar-16 10:00:58

Why are there so few female spokespersons for the debate on the EU, on either side?

This article on the LSE website mentions "only Laura Sandys of the pro-EU European Movement and Kate Hoey of the Eurosceptic Labour for Britain standing out in a sea of male (and white) faces."

Daisyonthegreen Fri 04-Mar-16 10:26:59

Priti Patel is a Cabinet Minister and is for Leaving the EU.
Google her
She has a lot to say on the Trade issue and how we miss out on valuable trade with India and Asia as the EU insists on negotiating our trade deals.

Patel maintains we could so much better out of the EU and still maintain valuable trade with the EU countries.

Mistigri Fri 04-Mar-16 11:38:00

And Caroline Lucas of the Green Party is all over the papers this morning criticising Labour for not countering the brexit campaign more actively.

thebiscuitindustry Sat 05-Mar-16 19:16:01

In an article in the Guardian today, called Women urged to speak up to counter male-dominated EU debate, it says The leave and remain campaigns are creating pressure groups led by women in an attempt to counter a debate largely dominated by middle-aged men.

TV presenter June Sarpong will be one of the faces of "Women IN", on the pro-EU side. I can't find a website or Twitter/Facebook link for "Women IN" at the moment, so if anyone knows them, I'd be interested to know what they are.

The pro-Brexit group will be Women for Britain, due to launch on 8th March, International Women's Day. Their Twitter page is here and the Facebook page is here.

thebiscuitindustry Sat 05-Mar-16 19:31:00

Just found this on the Britain Stronger in Europe website:

"Women IN’, a network of women working in Britain campaigning for the UK to remain a member of the EU, has been launched - with an open letter in the Evening Standard signed by more than 50 leading businesswomen, scientists, trade union officials & health professionals."

The open letter is included on the page.

thebiscuitindustry Fri 15-Apr-16 02:35:36

EU referendum campaigns are failing to win women over, new poll warns

scarlets Mon 09-May-16 14:39:06

Shirley Williams was on the radio earlier supporting Remain. I think that Karren Brady spoke out as an Outer, as did the journalist Julia Hartley-Brewer. There haven't been many women prominent though, I agree.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now