Talk

Advanced search

email etiquette

(8 Posts)
Flute56 Sat 06-Apr-19 11:45:53

A ex friend of mine has emailed me wanting to meet up with me again. I have made it clear that I want nothing more to do with her and that I have moved on with my life. I have not seen her socially for about 8 months. We fell out because I was no longer prepared to accept her treatment of me so I called it a day. Unfortunately we live in the same area so a couple of times we have bumped into each other and I have been polite and said hello and that is all. When I got the email I did not reply. I thought if I just ignore it then she will get the message and I will never hear from her again. Since she emailed me then do I have to respond? Do I owe her an explanation

Flute56 Sat 06-Apr-19 19:20:28

can someone reply please

hugoagogo Sat 06-Apr-19 19:28:05

If you have made a decision not to be friends with them anymore, then I think it would be best not to reply. If you do there is a good chance that they then reply in turn and it gets more awkward to stop.

NewIdeasToday Sat 06-Apr-19 19:33:27

It’s not really a matter of etiquette.

You’ve made a decision. Stand confidently by your decision and don’t reply.

You might want to auto-direct any future emails from her to junk, so she doesn’t take up your headspace again.

Pixilicious Sat 06-Apr-19 19:36:03

You owe her nothing. Delete the email and set up a rule to direct her email to trash.

cstaff Sat 06-Apr-19 19:43:08

In those circumstances I wouldn't and hopefully she will get the message. The only problem is if you bump into her on the street she may confront you and you will probably have to give her an answer then.

dinkydolphin Sat 06-Apr-19 19:50:14

I have been in this exact same situation. I received 3 emails in a row and I never replied. When I saw her in person she asked why I didn't reply and I said that they're probably in trash. I didn't elaborate! She didn't question it but, I could tell she was embarrassed. She emailed me twice after and again I didn't reply.

I've seen her numerous times since & she has definitely got the message but, we can still say hi.

Flute56 Tue 09-Apr-19 05:41:42

yes I have not replied and have not heard anything more

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: