Talk

Advanced search

Swimming party for 4 year olds- good idea?

(61 Posts)
Frokni Fri 19-Oct-18 20:10:48

My soon to be 4 year old wants a swimming party (baby pool of course). How many 4 year olds though have the confidence to play in a pool for an hour without their parents IYO?

Ratio is 2 children to 1 adult for under 8s, how many parents do you think will want to have a play in pool too?

I would love it as a parent but want to ensure enough children come to the party and won't be put off if they're not confident swimmers.

Just an opinion needed or if anyone has hosted a pool party for kids as young as 4.

Thanks so much

Am aiming to get invites out after half term

CostaLotta Fri 19-Oct-18 20:17:29

Honestly, as a parent I would hate it and would politely decline. I wouldn't let my 3/4yo in a pool without me or another adult who would be supervising just them.

IHaveBrilloHair Fri 19-Oct-18 20:18:07

No.

domesticslattern Fri 19-Oct-18 20:19:04

that sounds terrible sorry.
It would be my idea of hell to wear a swimsuit while making small talk at a party and look after my 3 or 4 year old and possibly another random small child trying to skid around and drown themself.
And I wouldn't just drop off my child for safety reasons.
Don't do it!!!

Hellywelly10 Fri 19-Oct-18 20:19:11

Too young sorry.

Agent13 Fri 19-Oct-18 20:20:48

No too risky/stressful for all concerned!

Dychmygol Fri 19-Oct-18 20:20:56

I'd decline an invitation for DD2 for a swimming party. She's 6.

I wouldn't trust another adult to supervise her adequately in a water/excitement scenario with another child for them to supervise and there's no way in hell I'd knowingly get in my swimming costume in front of parents from school/football club/gymnastics.

Unless your soon to be 4 year old has a lot of friends who are already water confident and almost swimming or the parents are relaxed enough to jump in too you might find a lot of declines like mine.

You might be better off taking your child to a water park type pool for a birthday treat but having a party on dry land. It wouldn't hurt to sound out the parents though to see what the general response is.

I'm very risk adverse though so feel free to ignore my paranoia 😁

PodgeBod Fri 19-Oct-18 20:25:04

Too young. I wouldn't fancy hanging around a pool in a swimming costume with a bunch of mum's I don't know well. I'm sure the kids would have a blast, but I would be politely declining.

SoftSheen Fri 19-Oct-18 20:27:04

4 is too young. Many children will not be able to swim, and even those that can swim are still young enough to need close, constant supervision by someone who knows them. This is fine if parents are happy to get in with their children, but many parents won't be keen to make small talk in their swimming costumes whilst getting cold standing around in shallow water. Also, an hour would be too long for many 4 year olds.

Swimming parties are probably best at around age 9/10, by which time most children will be able to swim and are old enough to require a lower level of supervision.

buckeejit Fri 19-Oct-18 20:27:41

No way

legofriendly Fri 19-Oct-18 20:28:45

Nope

rainbowtrain Fri 19-Oct-18 20:28:48

No.
And then very awkward for people to decline.

MaHeidsGouping Fri 19-Oct-18 20:29:31

Nope, sitting at swimming lessons is bad enough. I'd definitely find a excuse to decline the invite.

teabag20048 Fri 19-Oct-18 20:31:35

No. I wouldn't let my children attend at that age. Swimming lessons start in year 4 at our school so age 8/9, even then I would feel uneasy unless they was a strong swimmer.

Heismyopendoor Fri 19-Oct-18 20:32:21

I wouldn’t have left any of my four year olds at a party on land never mind leaving them in a pool.

Xmasbaby11 Fri 19-Oct-18 20:34:40

No way.

Some of the kids may be 3. My 4yo dd doesn't last more than 20mins in a pool at best. I also wouldn't like the hassle of us all getting in the pool

BeautifulPossibilities Fri 19-Oct-18 20:36:16

I personally would love it but I have a swimmer. I don't think a swimming pool would allow it either, believe it's usually 8 for pool parties which is a shame.

holycityzoo Fri 19-Oct-18 20:36:55

Sorry another no. I wouldn't feel comfortable some else being in charge of my four year old in the water if he would even get in which is unlikely.
I wouldn't fancy a load of parents i don't know that well getting an eyeful of my cellulite either!

RelicHunter Fri 19-Oct-18 20:37:35

No.

ileclerc Fri 19-Oct-18 20:37:42

No way, sorry!

makingtime Fri 19-Oct-18 20:37:45

Would definitely be a no from me too. Also most pools want a 1:1 ratio for under fives, surprised yours is 1:2

LeticiaDejeuner Fri 19-Oct-18 20:43:02

Maybe you could do an outing to a play pool with just 1 or 2 friends to play with (who have parents you are friendly with and can check if they're OK with it) and have a entirely separate birthday party ...

pinkhorse Fri 19-Oct-18 20:43:23

My ds is having one this year for the first time. He'll be 9. 4 is way too young for this.

megletthesecond Fri 19-Oct-18 20:44:30

No.
It's no fun for many parents. It'll be stressful all round.

TokyoSushi Fri 19-Oct-18 20:44:49

It's a no from me too! 

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: