Talk

Advanced search

Is this dress suitable for my dad's funeral?

(16 Posts)
BellaMaroni Mon 06-Aug-18 21:30:11

Hi all,

Know its a silly thing to worry about, but dh said he doesn't think this is appropriate and is too dressy. I can't think straight at the moment so wanted to get opinions.

Happy to be told to go plainer. But if it is OK, should I wear with tights? Also, do people wear fascinators?

I haven't been to a funeral of a family member since my mum passed 10 years ago.

Pommes Mon 06-Aug-18 21:32:27

I think it is a nice appropriate dress OP. Presumably you wouldn't be wearing 'out out' shoes with it?

I'm really sorry for your loss.

joopy79 Mon 06-Aug-18 21:32:49

Sorry for your loss. I think it a lovely dress, no fascinator, nude tights.

thefirstmrsrochester Mon 06-Aug-18 21:32:54

Its a beautiful dress, you are fine to wear it I think. So sorry for your loss flowers

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Mon 06-Aug-18 21:33:33

No fascinator. Its a funeral not a wedding.
Maybe some sort of head covering for Catholic funeral Mass, but nit a fascinator

StripySocksAndDocs Mon 06-Aug-18 21:33:57

It's fine in my opinion. Though if your husband has put the idea in your head it's wrong, then it might just be on extra stress you don't need. So if there's a plainer on go for that.

No to fascinator.

I'm sorry your dad has died. So awful for you.

Ummmmgogo Mon 06-Aug-18 21:34:12

the dress is fine. I'm sorry for your loss x

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Mon 06-Aug-18 21:34:44

Sorry, that was a bit blunt. Please accept my apologies and condolences

annandale Mon 06-Aug-18 21:36:22

Its your dad's funeral - wear whatever you like. flowers

But since you have asked...

Definitely not fascinators. A plain hat if you like them but very few will.

I do like the dress but I'm sorry I wouldn't choose it because of the see through hem. But I do go very plain for funerals - a black trouser suit is what I wear, or just black skirt/trousers with a shirt.

fifipop185 Mon 06-Aug-18 21:41:13

The dress will be fine, it's pretty and not showing any inappropriate bits. Nude tights no fascinator. thanks for your loss OP.

BellaMaroni Mon 06-Aug-18 21:41:18

Thank you all so much, wasn't expecting so many kind replies.

OK so think I will wear it with a black blazer and smart black office heals.

Thanks again, really appreciate your opinions x

ScattyCharly Mon 06-Aug-18 21:41:22

You are “chief” mourner (?)

(I think the dress is fine anyway but) presumably the dress code is your call anyway

I’m sorry for your loss.

MnerXX Mon 06-Aug-18 21:46:14

Sorry to hear re your loss. My dad died a while ago and I was lucky enough to have some black bits from my wardrobe that I could repurpose. My sis bought a new outfit but it was really low cut, didn’t fit at all well around her chest and I thought completely inappropriate. I think that dress is lovely and fine for a funeral.

Is it worth thinking about what happens to your outfit after the funeral - do you want to be able to wear it again for something that isn’t a funeral or will it sit in your wardrobe as a ‘funeral outfit’?

MnerXX Mon 06-Aug-18 21:47:13

Either is obviously fine but it might be worthwhile to think about it...

flowers

Pommes Mon 06-Aug-18 21:49:46

At a funeral mourners should plan their dress out of respect for the family. You are the family and you can wear what you want to.

BellaMaroni Mon 06-Aug-18 21:53:45

Thanks again for your lovely replies.

I'm the youngest of 6 siblings, there has sadly been some 'tension' around funeral arrangements which is why I don't feel comfortable asking my sisters for advice at the moment.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: