Talk

Advanced search

wedding invite

(53 Posts)
3boystomen Thu 14-Jun-18 12:25:34

My niece is getting married next year. She has told me that our 3 Boys are invited but not their Partners. I have said I won't go along with that, and now its WW3. Thoughts please !!!!!

sugarbum Thu 14-Jun-18 12:30:06

Its her wedding. She can ask who she likes. I'm guessing she doesn't know the boys partners very well and doesn't want to pay for them. Fair enough I say.

expatinscotland Thu 14-Jun-18 12:32:07

It's her wedding, not yours. You seriously demand people invite who you want to their party? Wow. I'd have no problem telling you to sling your hook and not come. You won't go along with it, so don't. Don't go.

KirstenRaymonde Thu 14-Jun-18 12:34:30

Why won’t you go along with that? I think it’s perfectly reasonable to invite your cousins but not their partners. Unless they’ve all been together 20 years and have kids etc?

loobylou10 Thu 14-Jun-18 12:39:23

She’s probably glad you ‘wo t be going along with that’. Who do you think you are?

Normandy144 Thu 14-Jun-18 12:39:55

No great etiquette on your part sorry to say. I would apologise and then decide if you still want to attend. The invitation is completely down to them.

LemonBreeland Thu 14-Jun-18 12:42:10

You don't get to say you won't go along with it. It's her wedding.

My DB had similar. He invited Aunt, Uncle and cousins to his wedding. He sis not invite cousins partner as he had not met this person before. Quite small wedding and both DB and SIL only wanted people they knew in attendance.

Aunt, Uncle and cousins didn't come because DB wouldn't capitulate to their demands. Aunt had offered to pay for the extra meal and DB had made it clear it was not about money but about who they wanted there. Completely bonkers and cutting their noses off to spite their faces.

I fear you may be similar OP.

OakIsBetterTho Thu 14-Jun-18 12:42:15

I'm cringing for you. How ridiculous you sound. As a PP says, I bet your niece is secretly delighted you won't be coming.

Justmuddlingalong Thu 14-Jun-18 12:44:22

I have said I won't go along with that, and now its WW3.
And you are surprised by that?

Hogtini Thu 14-Jun-18 12:44:40

Well I bet she's glad she won't have to pay for you to attend after that strop. How silly.

Racecardriver Thu 14-Jun-18 12:45:19

So politely decline the invitation you ungrateful cow! But seriously, you really don't get a say.

AllStar14 Thu 14-Jun-18 12:49:26

If I was them I'd uninvite you.

spanishwife Thu 14-Jun-18 12:53:07

Wow what a lovely aunty!

I'm doing the same with my cousins and their girlfriends/boyfriends as they don't yet live together (or I'll end up with a million people at my wedding), can't they hang out together since they are siblings and you are all invited as the family unit?

NapQueen Thu 14-Jun-18 12:56:54

This cannot be real.

Buddyelf Thu 14-Jun-18 13:02:45

when you say partners do you mean wives or girlfriends?

Buddyelf Thu 14-Jun-18 13:02:58

or boyfriends

GahWhatever Thu 14-Jun-18 13:06:24

Cousins (unless they are close) don't often get an invitation these days.
How dare you try and dictate the guest list at a relative's wedding? Bizarre behaviour on your part.

StormcloakNord Thu 14-Jun-18 13:08:05

People like you are the reason I'm fucking stressing out about who to invite and who the fuck not to invite!!!!

IT'S HER PARTY, NAE YOURS!

Bodear Thu 14-Jun-18 13:11:26

What does “not going along with that” mean? Where’s your power to influence coming from other?

ProseccoPoppy Thu 14-Jun-18 13:24:29

I didn’t invite any of my cousins because we aren’t close and I hadn’t seen them in 5 years or more before my lovely small wedding. I don’t even know the names of any of their partners...

Your reaction is pretty disproportionate imo and I think you should apologise.

kissthealderman Thu 14-Jun-18 13:39:36

Is it CF wedding season on MN? So many of these posts this week by people complaining.

If you are not happy with the invite then don't attend. End of. It's up to the B&G who they invite.

WaitroseCoffeeCostaCup Thu 14-Jun-18 13:42:22

shock

Orchidflower1 Thu 14-Jun-18 13:46:08

Not your wedding =not your choice who is invited~ despite how much you protest.

Just don’t go if it upsets you too much.

BlueEyedPersephone Thu 14-Jun-18 13:59:22

Unless you are paying the £150+ cost per person - not your choice. Cousins partners are not compulsory invites when you are on a budget. Wind your neck in and except it's not up to you. Be happy for your niece not a bitch

ikeepaforkinmypurse Thu 14-Jun-18 16:12:12

What do you mean by partners? If it's a current fling, or a teenager's girl/boyfriend, you are exaggerating. If they are life partners, married couple, then fair enough.
Yes, it's the bride and groom's wedding and they invite who they want. It's also your own right not to attend.

It's more understandable when people don't invite children, but if it's not convenient for the parents, they just decline. Not inviting husbands or wives, or near- husbands and wives is just rude. Starting WW3 about it is childish.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: