Talk

Advanced search

How Should I Introduce Myself to New Neighbours?

(7 Posts)
TurmericSpiced Tue 30-Jan-18 22:30:20

Hi,

I'm hoping some you ladies living can help me - my husband and I are moving to Leigh-on-Sea in a couple weeks as we've just bought our first home. smile

My husband is 34, I'm 28 and originally from the US. As an American, I'm used to introducing myself to new neighbours with a home-baked treat in hand. I know this isn't necessarily the norm in the UK, but would this be completely socially unacceptable?

We're moving to Leigh after spending nearly two years in London and I hate the anonymity of living in such a big city - it seems neighbours only ever speak when something has gone wrong! I'm hoping this will be different in Leigh (everyone raves about the great community spirit), and hopefully my neighbours will be receptive to the idea, but I'm not sure what the British etiquette is.

So, what do you guys think? If a new neighbour rang your doorbell with an armful of chocolate chip cookies, would you think it was sweet or totally crazy?

Thanks so much for taking the time to help - really appreciate it. smile

RaininSummer Tue 30-Jan-18 22:38:27

I would find it sweet especially knowing it is an American tradition. My mum had new neighbours recently and they invited the other neighbours in for afternoon tea and cake.

DonnyAndVladSittingInATree Tue 30-Jan-18 22:42:28

I think it’s lovely to introduce yourself. personally I wouldn’t eat anything a stranger made themselves. Not without watching them make it. But that’s just me and if you gave me something I would politlely accept and tell you it was delicious. grin

TurmericSpiced Tue 30-Jan-18 22:47:33

Thanks so much for your help so far! smile So I'm guessing many people in the UK must know this is an American tradition then?

DonnyAndVladSittingInATree, I can't say I disagree! If someone random came to my door, I would think it was nice but I'm not so sure I'd eat what they gave me! grin

KennDodd Tue 30-Jan-18 22:48:01

I'd be delighted. Then when my husband asked where the brownies/biscuits/cake came from that that weirdo new neighbour gave us them.

Just kidding, it's a lovely idea.

AngelsWithSilverWings Wed 31-Jan-18 09:42:23

I’d love it and am from that area. You will find that it is a fantastic community smile

jkl0311 Wed 07-Feb-18 10:59:10

If your my neighbor I would gladly invite you in for a cuppa if you brought baking over 🤣

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: