Talk

Advanced search

Coffee drinking

(78 Posts)
raar44 Mon 18-Dec-17 17:43:59

Hi All.
I'd like your opinions on coffee drinking - I've never come across this snobbery before but today I was ripped apart by a fellow teacher in the staffroom.
As I poured my milk into my mug straight after the instant coffee , which I do because I don't like it tasting burnt, a colleague almost ran across the staffroom shouting"Urgh how disgusting putting milk in before the water, thats revolting . Were you dragged up or brought up"
I was mortified but carried on smiling and took my coffee back to my room feeling as if I should crawl back under the rock I came out from!!!
Have I missed something in 46 years of life that makes this a complete no-no unless you come from the dregs of society?

PasstheStarmix Mon 18-Dec-17 18:46:30

Hi, anybody who drinks coffee knows that you don't pour boiling directly onto coffee granules as it burns the coffee; milk always goes in first. Did your colleague think you were perhaps making tea? What a cheek!! Sounds

PasstheStarmix Mon 18-Dec-17 18:46:44

water*

PasstheStarmix Mon 18-Dec-17 18:47:07

sounds vile that person *

Trills Mon 18-Dec-17 18:47:41

Your colleague is very silly to think that there's any point invoking etiquette when making instant coffee.

pinkyredrose Mon 18-Dec-17 18:52:40

If it's instant it'll taste shite anyway so I doubt it matters.

LadyGlitterSparkl Mon 18-Dec-17 18:52:40

That's how I make it too

acornsandnuts Mon 18-Dec-17 18:54:54

Milk first with instant. Milk lasts with any other coffee.

RestingGrinchFace Mon 18-Dec-17 18:55:18

Oh my god I am dying! She was snobby about how you made you instant coffee?! That's absolutely hilarious. That's so ironic she must be a hipster!

unenthusiasticfuturedancemom Mon 18-Dec-17 18:58:05

Same same - it's instant. A proper coffee snob wouldn't recognise instant coffee, they'd faint at the very smell of the stuff and never actually see it.

iklboo Mon 18-Dec-17 19:00:18

Colleague would have got 'The Rock' eyebrow look from me for that. Weird.

BonnieF Mon 18-Dec-17 19:01:04

Instant coffe is disgusting & undrinkable whatever you do to it. Yuk.

My preferred method is to use a cafetière and grind the beans fresh for each pot. I wait for one minute after the kettle has boiled before brewing the coffee.

Yes this is a bit of a faff, so when I haven't got time to grind coffee beans I have tea which also has to be brewed properly but that's a different thread......

raar44 Mon 18-Dec-17 19:02:36

Thanks folks - obviously those of you who think it's hilarious to be commenting on etiquette of INSTANT coffee have never been in a job with 10 mins at most to grab something between 8 and 1:00., obviously the SAHM's!!

kalinkafoxtrot45 Mon 18-Dec-17 19:03:12

Was she brought up or dragged up making such a fuss? What a twit. Feel sorry for the kids who have that for a teacher.

Crumbs1 Mon 18-Dec-17 19:04:35

This isn’t real is it? Nobody would make a fuss over instant coffee, surely. The only etiquette with instant coffee is to avoid serving it unless you are certain somebody actually prefers it for some reason best known to themselves.

raar44 Mon 18-Dec-17 19:06:16

See above Crumbs 1

Hiphopopotamus Mon 18-Dec-17 19:10:02

Really? A dig at SAHMs?

Yeah - instant coffee tastes like shite whatever you do to it. And pouring water into a cafetiere of fresh coffee takes exactly the same amount of time.

just5morepeas Mon 18-Dec-17 19:11:29

Wow, so much disdain for instant coffee!

I quite like it . . .

raar44 Mon 18-Dec-17 19:12:33

What a lovely turn of phrase you have hiphopopotamus!
I'd love to introduce you to the English teacher in question, you sound like you are both on the same level.

justabigdisco Mon 18-Dec-17 19:17:00

I'm not a SAHM and I hardly ever get '10 mins to grab something between 8 and 1' but I still wouldn't drink instant coffee cos it's shite

milleniumhandandprawn Mon 18-Dec-17 19:20:12

I’d never add the milk first because to my mind the coffee needs hot (not boiling) water to dissolve - otherwise you end up with whole coffee granules swimming in milky hot water and then sticking to the side of the cup. confused

Generally I have it black though so a non issue.

Also fyi... having a pop at SAHMs (which I’m not btw) is a really bad idea on MUMSnet.

Ftr I have waaaaay more time for coffee at work than at home.

fizzicles Mon 18-Dec-17 19:21:09

Teacher here and massive coffee snob. I couldn’t give two hoots how you make your instant, but I have my ground coffee and coffee maker in the staff room because I deserve a proper coffee to get me through the morning.

Don’t get me started on the time someone pinched it for a science experiment…

raar44 Mon 18-Dec-17 19:22:12

Why bother joining then . What job do you do?

milleniumhandandprawn Mon 18-Dec-17 19:24:31

For someone so sensitive that you got upset about this minor incident you’re a bit rude raar ain’tcha?

wink

Spam88 Mon 18-Dec-17 19:24:35

Oh I'm a complete coffee snob (and work full time FYI) but when I was teaching I drank instant. It was purely about getting caffeine in, not about enjoying a drink, and hot drinks weren't allowed to leave the staff room so it needed to be quick.

In answer to your actual question, your colleague is a dickhead. Always milk first with instant so you don't burn the coffee.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: